Sign in to follow this  
E30M54

Getrag 220 Rebuild Kit

Hi All, 

I am building a E30/M54 mated to a G220, there's a lot of lash in the drivetrain, about 20 degrees. The lash coupled with the RHD flywheel chatter makes for nasty goings on when pulling away and general driving. 

I am wondering if a rebuild of the tranny will eliminate this lash, if so... does anyone sell a rebuild kit? Lastly, if a rebuild kit does not exist, where could I get a list of parts to replace to do my own? 

Sorry lots of questions, I know engines but am lost with the tranny. 

TIA

Francis

I had a car with a RHD flywheel and it was difficult to get off the line too. I also noticed there is a lot of lash on my E46 with M54 and auto trans, so maybe normal?

Have you isolated it to gearbox?. Diff, driveshaft and CV axles or combination of them all are the usual suspects.

16 hours ago, Eagle said:

Have you isolated it to gearbox?. Diff, driveshaft and CV axles or combination of them all are the usual suspects.

This saturday I am bringing it to the shop, going to measure where the lash is actually coming from. I know am sure its not the drive shafts, almost certain not the diff... I've got two things to sort out, where the lash is from and if my diff from a Z3 is an LSD. If it is, I am thinking the stage 3 or 4 from Racing Diffs would be a go but thats for a different post. I've got quite a few things I am trying to solve on my E30.  

I'd suggest talking to the experts before splashing out with racing diffs. 

Their after sales support is useless. Their guides are equally as bad. You might get lucky and have it fit without modification. 

Am I missing something but is there a difference between lhd and rhd flywheels you guys are talking about?

Update... measured the lash, its about ~3-4 degrees, not sure if it's worth bothering with it. Popped the diff cover off, got a torsen LSD 😃 but it's only 25% lock so to do proper skids I'll need to upgrade at some point. Does anyone know how to make these 100% lock?

20221001_145552.jpg

Edited by E30M54

If you want a locked diff, I'm sure you know the answer to that. If you want a clutch type lsd mfactory, drexler, there's a bmw motorsport lsd on fb currently as well. It depends how much it is worth to you

18 hours ago, thorburn said:

If you want a locked diff, I'm sure you know the answer to that. If you want a clutch type lsd mfactory, drexler, there's a bmw motorsport lsd on fb currently as well. It depends how much it is worth to you

To be honest... I am 56 so skids arent that big a deal :)building this car is one of those bucket list things. That said, every now and then particularly in the wet I like to let the rear hang out. Wavetrack make an really good (so I've heard) helical LSD I think better than the clutch type particularly for the occasional track day. I'll leave it at this for now, the lash is still annoying but its doesnt sounds like there's a easy fix without pulling the diff and adjusting the pinion/ring gear. 

Edited by E30M54

2 hours ago, E30M54 said:

To be honest... I am 56 so skids arent that big a deal :)building this car is one of those bucket list things. That said, every now and then particularly in the wet I like to let the rear hang out. Wavetrack make an really good (so I've heard) helical LSD I think better than the clutch type particularly for the occasional track day. I'll leave it at this for now, the lash is still annoying but its doesnt sounds like there's a easy fix without pulling the diff and adjusting the pinion/ring gear. 

Helical not much help if you get a wheel in the air is the only thing.

On 10/3/2022 at 2:24 AM, polley said:

Helical not much help if you get a wheel in the air is the only thing.

Apparently the Wavetrak have this wave shaped (get the name) bushing that will mimic traction on the side thats spinning so it locks. I thought it was interesting watch, I am not getting one now... maybe sometime in the future, I'll stick to my Z3 torsen diff.