Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

E34 front suspension refresh.

I have been giving a bit of love to the 540is  and realise its time to do the front suspension. I have recently replaced the front shocks with some Sachs, factory sport replacements and this certainly made a noticeable difference. While there I also replaced the spring pads, bump stops, end links and boots. But there is a vagueness to the front end and I suspect its worn bushes. I am contemplating pulling the thrust arms and replacing the big bush's with powerflex inserts but as it appears to be the original arm I suspect the ball joint will be pretty worn. Not sure if the ball joints are replaceable or do I just go Meyle HD? Let me know what you have done and how its worked. 

20201018_141239.jpg

Are you sure its not steering system that's causing the vague feeling? Idler arm\bushing is probably the most common wear item on that side of it. Wheel alignment and tyres could be another area.

Complete Meyle HD or Lemforder control arms would be my pick, the ball joint isnt replaceable. Id probably do the lower arm at the same time unless you on a budget. Front sway bars bushings may yield a small improvement if they haven't been done already.

• Like 2

I've used various aftermarket bushes in the front end of several BMW's and I've never been very satisfied with the results, even the Meyle HD bushes are a lot firmer than the oem Lemforder.

So when it came to doing my E39 I just went and bought everything from the US and made sure everything was Lemforder. I didn't do just the bushes I replaced the arms as I figured the ball joints had done as many k's as the rest. Just a couple of bits left to replace and all the suspension and steering will be  new and it certainly is nice to drive.

I have done firmer bushes in my e36, 46 and 92 and have been very happy with the result. I do agree the ball joints are probably gone so complete arms are probably the way to go. Meyle HD are probably where I will go and as reccomended the idler arm bushing.

Edited by Herbmiester

Am interested on how you go @Herbmiester - I will be doing a complete front suspension refresh on my 840ci. Have all the parts, including whole arms, just need to get them installed ☹️

• Like 1

Well I just discovered a knock in the passenger side rear. Not sure what it is yet but I am thinking its like bushes. So that will also be getting some love. I will probably replace the dog-bones, swaybar links and subframe bushes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

Well I just discovered a knock in the passenger side rear. Not sure what it is yet but I am thinking its like bushes. So that will also be getting some love. I will probably replace the dog-bones, swaybar links and subframe bushes. 

Have you done the rear struts?. You could add trailing arm bushings to that list. I dont know what your alignment specs are like but adding eccentric subframe adjusters would likely help alot. Yet to see any BMW semi trailing setup that doesnt have the rear alignment out . They are all old\used cars now.  

1 hour ago, jom said:

Top shock mounts?

Never seen a completely worn one on these cars. They are way more robust than 3 series stuff being a coil over mount and sit high up in the body not being exposed much

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jom said:

Top shock mounts?

Yes lets ad this to the list

18 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

Yes lets ad this to the list

On my E36 I tried standard and M46 M3 mounts - neither lasted. Fitted a set of mounts with replaceable centres from Turner motorsport. They're still going after 100k... (with Koni sports shocks, too).

On 12/13/2022 at 12:50 PM, jom said:

On my E36 I tried standard and M46 M3 mounts - neither lasted. Fitted a set of mounts with replaceable centres from Turner motorsport. They're still going after 100k... (with Koni sports shocks, too).

E34 rear mounts are a completely different design.