Sign in to follow this  
gjm

New budget tyre vs well-used premium tyre

• Like 2

Age would be a good one to test as the comment mention. Lots of factors but im sure you could come up with something.

I think the answer is sometimes.  I have had a decent run with budget tyres in the last few years.

And yeah, aged tyres are the biggest no no.

Car owners in cold weather countries typically have a spare set of wheels in the garage and change from summer (performance tires) to winter (snow tires) when ice and snow are expected. So I think that a comparison between a worn performance tire and a new budget SNOW tire would be more useful. But I guess when a presenter is under pressure to keep putting videos out, a pointless video is better than no video at all. 

My concern is that this video may encourage some drivers to continue driving on worn performance tires when they should be changing to winter tires i.e. a negative outcome, when a comparison with a correctly chosen winter would have a positive outcome. 

Cheers...

I remember swapping from some pretty worn out RE01-R (anybody remember them) to something cheap and new that were on some wheels I'd picked up, this is 15 years and about 10 cars ago so don't remember what the tires were. The difference was startling, and not in a good way- the new cheap ones were appalling. I'll watch the video now and see if my evidence matches the theory...

11 hours ago, jon dee said:

My concern is that this video may encourage some drivers to continue driving on worn performance tires when they should be changing to winter tires i.e. a negative outcome, when a comparison with a correctly chosen winter would have a positive outcome. 

Cheers...

Seeing the state of cars in some places with no vehicle checks makes me think that's the least of concerns. People running performance tyres are more likely to care about that sort of thing in the first place i would say. 

18 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

I remember swapping from some pretty worn out RE01-R (anybody remember them) to something cheap and new that were on some wheels I'd picked up, this is 15 years and about 10 cars ago so don't remember what the tires were. The difference was startling, and not in a good way- the new cheap ones were appalling. I'll watch the video now and see if my evidence matches the theory...

When i first got my 318Ti i couldn't do 20kph around a roundabout in the wet without understeering,  it was fitted with Japanese '08 made Bridgestone Ecopias from when it was imported from Japan in '08. Legal as with fresh VTNZ warrant and only half worn. Old tyres like that are worst than anything.

• Like 1