Vinu Chandrakumar

E30 Front Strut Nut Removal

Hey guys, 

Have some trouble getting my top strut nut off shaft is spinning while using my impact, i'm reusing the inserts so don't really want to clamp down on them, just need to take it apart to add some bump stops for my WOF. Anyone got any tips? 

Thinking i might have to purchase a through socket set so I can actually counter hold the shaft with a 8mm socket or anyone know where I can get  BMW Tool 313170 in Auckland? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tool-313170-BMW-E36-E34-E32-E30-E28-E21-Strut-Top-Nut-With-Hex-Counter-Hold-/323059258619?_ul=IL

Edited by Vinu Chandrakumar

Not familiar with the E30 dampers ... assume its not possible to get onto the smaller with a 6 point socket and the larger with a spanner ?

Some penetrant and an over night soak ? Hope the spring is compressed also thats always a good idea 👍

+1 loosen it a bit with rattle gun and spring still fully compressed if you arent.

Buy a deep socket from bunnings and cut the middle out, use a ring spanner to hold the center.

20230605_100238.thumb.jpg.92d27839f0cfc47bc3a4e0ef98f080c1.jpg

• Like 3

Somehow or other I don't see chatGPT coming up with this kind of solution to a problem. So still room for a bit of human ingenuity :)

• Haha 1