Twistee

3D printer recommendation for parts mock up.

So I have been able to justify the purchase of a 3D printer for mocking up parts for various projects. Given the huge variety of printers and sponsored YouTuber recommendations it has been hard to narrow down a make and model. My requirements are a 400 x 400 x 400 print bed, works out of the box (does not need an extra $1000 of upgrades to be useable), under $2000 purchase price, reasonable speed, from a known brand (not AliExpress burn your house down special), ideally not a resin printer.

I'm interested to here anyone's experiences both good and bad, I'm also happy to bend my requirements if there is something which is highly recommended that is out of scope. 

Thanks.

I've got the Ender 3 V2 and found it pretty good over the last few years for my project ... certainly an invaluable tool for the modern DIY tinkerer !! If only I had a 3D scanner to go with 🤤

Some key considerations would be:

• What filaments are you intending on printing with ?
    • I've made upgrades to be able to print ASA for functional parts (engine bar, car interior etc)
  • Is speed necessity or nice to have ?
    • For me its a nice to have, I'm not doing commercial work so it just balances off against my patience
  • Dual or single extrusion ?
    • Depends what you want to print, having a soluble support material say might be an advantage
  • Will you need a heated enclosure ?
    • Basically mandatory for me to print ASA successfully, can make easily but its a cost none the less
  • Will you want external control / monitoring ?
    • I got a Raspberry Pi running Octoprint with a webcam, highly recommend !!
  • What sorts of things will you be printing ?
    • With a $2k budget I'd seriously look at trying to get a printer and 3D scanner :D Even with the small build volume I have its not been as big a deal as i would have thought. Fairly easy to join multiple prints into a larger for the purposes of mockup.
    • The above may be contingent on the software you have available to mess with the models etc

• Thanks 1

What Cement has said above is 100% relevent.

I've got a Prusa MK3S+, which is nowhere near the size you require, though. They do an XL now (with a long wait list!), but I think it's probably $4K with shipping!

The main reason I went with a Prusa though, is that they just work. Mines only a baby: since October 2021 it's done 47 days of print time and 3.1kms of filament, but it's had no issues or adjustments. I have done a print that was approsching 30 hours once too.  I just give it a wipe occasionally and vacuum out the enclosure (I built a "lack table" type of enclosure for it). It's also capable of printing just about any filament out of the box, but it can be upgraded too. I've only tried nylon once, and it was a pain in the arse, but it was a complex bracket, so I don't know how good my printer really is at it.

I'd be more inclined to buy a better quality printer with a smaller print bed and print in multiple parts. "It's not how big it is, it's what you do with it" 🤣  It appears some people give up on 3D printing when the printer doesn't meet their expectations or is too difficult. Some of the big printers are really expensive and I wonder if the lower end big units are worth it? I've not spcifically looked into big dimension units though.

The actual printing part is the EASY part - 3D modelling is much harder to master, and I struggle with a lot of things - I should really do a course, or at least do more than just the first episode of the Youtube tutorials 🤣

Also - filament dryer: get one. SOOOO many proglems or quality issues are solved by drying filament. I got the round Sunlu Dryer on a Briscoes-like special. They seem to run a special deal every second day. You can use an oven or dehumidifier, but the Sunlu work well, holds a 1kg spool and is automatic. I pop it open now and then to change the humid air and spin the roll a bit. Damp filament makes crap prints.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^2nded on the dampness causing issues for prints. having processed PLA for my thesis, i found to my peril how hygroscopic these polymers were. 

• Thanks 1

Here is my setup which hangs out in the laundry. Just good to highlight the space you need which can be more than expected of you have an enclosure for heat... It's not exactly discrete.

I have an Inkbird pid temperature controller to control the 700w element which is in the cage. It's made of 'twinwall' polycarbonate sheet. Once up to temp with the build plate at 110 degrees the heater is actually not needed to maintain about 45 degrees in the box.

20230606_134612.thumb.jpg.7acc66ff16ab1f1925a35f329182b7e6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gents thanks for the response, there are some really good points here to consider. @Allanw i completely forgot about a dryer, regarding modelling I work with 3D data for a living so that I have covered.

• Like 1

Scour Facebook marketplace for a good deal. So many people buy all the gear but have no idea and sell up.

Been watching Mike from Stanceworks on YouTube build his K series powered Ferrari time attack car. He does some printing with this stuff. Pretty cool. 

https://store.bambulab.com/products/petg-cf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your criteria are quite sensible – a substantial print bed, user-friendly setup, budget-friendly, and from a reputable brand. I faced a similar dilemma when choosing mine. I ended up going with the [Brand X Model Y] and it's been a game-changer. It met most of my requirements and came with good customer support. However, I did find the initial calibration a bit finicky. I hope you find the perfect printer that suits your needs! Keep exploring and researching – it's worth it in the end. Good luck!