thorns

E86 Z4 Coupe - Manual transmissions?

Anyone know how many of these are floating round the country?

Currently have a 3.0si with the auto which is pretty good and I absolutely love the cars looks, noise, driving and so on, however cant help but feel the car would be an absolute keeper with a manual transmission attached instead.

In the past few years of watching trademe I don't feel like I have seen any pop up for sale, and scouring through the japanese auction sites it seems next to impossible to find one with a manual trans other than a full Z4M version (budget not quite there presently).  Perhaps they were never offered in manual in the Japanese market?     UK on the other hand appears like most were delivered with the manual box.

Then the million $$ question, has there been any successful manual swaps?  Imagine the cost would not be worth it unless you could do it all yourself?  

Yes, should have said more specifically the hardtop/coupe version, manual convertibles seem to pop up semi regulary. 

Only seen one Z4 coupe manual over the last few years.  Trademe auction with $29k start price.  Don't know what the reserve was.

• Like 1

@HELLBM may be able to help should you be interested in a conversion

36 minutes ago, NZ00Z3 said:

Only seen one Z4 coupe manual over the last few years.  Trademe auction with $29k start price.  Don't know what the reserve was.

Wow, that's a healthy premium over the auto model!

11 minutes ago, thorns said:

Wow, that's a healthy premium over the auto model!

A 6 speed manual transmission E86 3.0si is a pleasure to own and drive. Especially in Motorsport spec (Sports seats, wheels and suspension).

And worth every penny over your barry basic E86 auto.....😁

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, thorns said:

Anyone know how many of these are floating round the country?

Currently have a 3.0si with the auto which is pretty good and I absolutely love the cars looks, noise, driving and so on, however cant help but feel the car would be an absolute keeper with a manual transmission attached instead.

In the past few years of watching trademe I don't feel like I have seen any pop up for sale, and scouring through the japanese auction sites it seems next to impossible to find one with a manual trans other than a full Z4M version (budget not quite there presently).  Perhaps they were never offered in manual in the Japanese market?     UK on the other hand appears like most were delivered with the manual box.

Then the million $$ question, has there been any successful manual swaps?  Imagine the cost would not be worth it unless you could do it all yourself?  

We can do a manual conversion on yours. Have done both E85 and E86 3.0s in the past.

Complete kit includes install/coding etc. available with us @HELLBM

Call to discuss if interested.

Ray 0212435526

• Like 1

None of the NZ new coupes were manual and they didn't sell the coupe with a manual trans in Japan so none of the jap imports are manual either. The few manual coupes are either converted or UK imports.

The manual one above that was listed for 29k didn't sell at that price, the seller ended up listing it for a low reserve and I think it went for about 19k in the end.

I have an nz new coupe with the sports seats and steering wheel, nice car to drive but I also wish it was manual. I have a register I've put together keeping an eye out for NZ new E86's - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11lUmLaypO5za31t7spsxtdIknXuyOHOSCeM0DqLz38I/edit#gid=0

My understanding to manual swap you need gearbox etc from a 130i and pedals etc from an e46.

Edited by thegreatestben

We have this coupe which will become a track car. N52B30N along with all manual components removed.Conversion kit including install available.

Repower options are still undecided atm. Possibly N55 with 8 speed or manual M57N for endurance racing.

2078162653_Z4BlueCoupe.thumb.jpg.7566dc0136e462e776623a2ca6583dd7.jpg

• Like 4

Good to see the E86 platform getting some forum love 😬 Quietly please lads, don't want too many aspiring BMW owners waking up......