Harper

BMW E46 Compact 330Ti Build

8 hours ago, Danch said:

I saw this listing you may be interested in: BMW E46 Compact AC Schnitzer Exhaust https://www.trademe.co.nz/4739981637

Super cool, tempted to get it and make it fit but would require a bit of custom work since it's for a 316/318ti.

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

Single inlet probably not worth the hassle

The 325Ti muffler is actually also single inlet but a larger diameter than the 4cyl system. It's twin pipe back to the muffler where it merges to a single 65mm pipe into the rear muffler. 318 system is all 50mm.

20240601_094134.thumb.jpg.4e0561e1ed5069d85c11e07679636b1d.jpg

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

Are you planning to go to a certain place?

Just my local shop. I'm hoping they won't even question it.

Edited by Harper
  • Like 2

Funnily enough, to the unscrupulous eye the main giveaway might be the 330 badge on the boot

• Like 1

i used a z4 3L twin pipe muffler 

got one if you need

Exhaust system, rear

IMG_8112.JPEG

Edited by BM WORLD
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BM WORLD said:

i used a z4 3L twin pipe muffler 

I'm actually really satisfied after a few days of driving it around with how it sounds with the stock system and resonator removed. Only slightly louder than stock volume but with a better sound, even burbles and occasionally backfires on overrun.

Edited by Harper

Unfortunately the 330ti didn't pass the sniff test getting it's WoF, so it looks like I'll have to get it certed.

Perhaps more concerning than failing on having the 'incorrect engine', it also failed on being too low. Less than 100mm from the chassis rail to the ground supposedly. Which doesn't seem right since the ride height is actually higher than it was on the standard sport suspension, and higher than the M3 as well which passes no problem so...?

20240610_135419.thumb.jpg.0bbcb4d3c31fb0476d53a0854d982632.jpg

20240612_135048.thumb.jpg.eeb290a88ec5fa8acf472c991bbc14ed.jpg

Looks higher than my E36 with Eibachs. They did lower mine more than i expected compared to the same ones on the 330ci

20240414_113337.thumb.jpg.64ae76f7f0c00513737abcf7bcd32432.jpg

I think id try another place. The inspector cant see what the previous inspector actually failed on if they check, just what category it was.

@Eagle That looks ace mate. Makes me want to own an E36 318ti at some point.

Mine is also overdue some properly sized michelins which should effectively raise the car a few mm as well, hopefully that is all it needs. Currently running cheapo tyres in 1 series sizes. But yes if all else fails I'll just go somewhere else. I suspect one of the testers at the shop is a ball buster because they have failed me on some dumb sh*t before, while other times they've let things slide.

• Thanks 1

Which part are they alleging to be too low? The front subframe? Have you tried measuring? If it's a few mm then by all means tell them to stuff it. They'd pick it up at the cert inspection anyway whenever you go for that.

15 minutes ago, Vass said:

Which part are they alleging to be too low? The front subframe? Have you tried measuring? If it's a few mm then by all means tell them to stuff it. They'd pick it up at the cert inspection anyway whenever you go for that.

The note on the sheet says "Chassis rail / alloy engine cover", presumably meaning the reinforcement plate. I was in a rush when I picked the car up so wasn't able to chat to the inspector about the details.

I'll cut a block of wood to 100mm this weekend and check myself.

Hopefully the cert process doesn't prove too painful.

Over the weekend I cut a 100mm block of wood and stuck it under the car. It was basically a perfect fit underneath the lowest points of the car, meaning at it's lowest the car was sitting at essentially exactly 100mm off the ground. Definitely shouldn't have been a reason for failure, I'll leave that block of wood in the passenger seat when I take it in next.

Hopefully the cert process doesn't take too long. Anyone have any recommendations regarding which certifier to go to? I was planning to go to Dave Page since he's just around the corner from where I work in East Tamaki.

Edited by Harper
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Harper said:

Anyone have any recommendations regarding which certifier to go to?

I've gone to Scott Tristram at Fraser Cars but he is in Beach Haven so you'd have to be pretty motivated to drive there. I have found him to be quite 'fair' in summary ... exercised a common sense approach to my use of integrated trans mount and drive shaft loop. Was picky about my wheel bolt engagement being a half or quarter turn short on engagement.

My brother is about to cert his mini so keen to hear of your experience 👍 He has spoken to Dave Page already and said he did not have much in the way of 'bed side manner' 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Cement said:

I've gone to Scott Tristram at Fraser Cars but he is in Beach Haven so you'd have to be pretty motivated to drive there.

Yeah I think it would be between Dave and Clint Field in manukau since they are both out my way.

7 minutes ago, Cement said:

He has spoken to Dave Page already and said he did not have much in the way of 'bed side manner' 🤷‍♂️

Usually that's just a prerequisite to becoming a mechanic.