E63

Must-have tools

13 hours ago, Eagle said:

497937672_Screenshot2023-11-21at07_54_47.thumb.png.745dfebd9ff821c8407b757c88534a03.png

Wow!  I didn’t bother bidding I was sure it’d go for more.  Good buying and not far from me.

Edited by Olaf
added image for ref long after the trademe ad has gone

How useful is an air compressor ? I don't have one yet.

Are the likes of the Supercheap/Repco ones ok for a home noob mechanic or do you need to spend more coin ?

On 11/20/2023 at 6:21 PM, Olaf said:

497937672_Screenshot2023-11-21at07_54_47.thumb.png.745dfebd9ff821c8407b757c88534a03.png

Wow!  I didn’t bother bidding I was sure it’d go for more.  Good buying and not far from me.

Barg.

31 minutes ago, mmario said:

Are the likes of the Supercheap/Repco ones ok for a home noob mechanic or do you need to spend more coin ?

Wondered this myself.

34 minutes ago, mmario said:

Yeah pretty useful, especially for blowing out dirt & dust, used it quite a bit when rebuilding my engine and still do occasionally on smaller cleanup jobs.

The one I've got is just about the most basic one you can get, this one from TopmaQ that I managed to snap up used for like $100 off TradeMe. It's small, loud and not powerful enough for any serious tools beyond just blowing compressed air or inflating bike tyres but what it does it does well enough. I'd definitely go with a bigger one if I had a bigger garage but I'd say it's worth having on hand even if it's just the smallest one. I reckon the SCA/Repco ones will be just fine for weekend use in a home garage.

5 hours ago, mmario said:

As useful as you want it to be. Lots of tools run on air.

I think the cheap ones generally hold up you change the oil out for something decent and keep them maintained, probably all made in the same bunch of factories. 

I bought one of these over 10 years ago and was still running fine before sold it and upgraded. It was too small for tools but ok for occasional compressed air blasting and inflated, anything below 50L tank size isnt going to run much for long - https://collingwoodscrosscountry.co.nz/product/dek2024-air-compressor/

Id go for something 2nd hand though as you can get something bigger\more powerful for a lot less money (if you have the room), or just save on similar specs.