Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

1st of problems

hey well

has any one had leaking problems on an e30 before

not that any one is psychic, but wher are some common areas i should be looking for leaks

my floor is soaking wet

and im not getting the carpet re done or fixed untill i find where the leaks are ? ?

where

how

help ?

theres seriously a good 10 litres of water in the car lol

the boots fine ive found them

but the passenger front and back floors are soaking

SOAKING

help ?

sounds like a major leak excuse me for pointing out the obvious just tryna simpithise with you lol

hope someone here knows the prob

:bounce:

Had the same prob. Drain hole in firewall was blocked and water wa building up by wiper motor and eventually overflowing into heater system and into passenger compartment.

Drain hole is a small rubber tube (rectangular) facing downwards coming out of the firewall above the steering linkage.

Check all other drain holes while you are at it - look for them or look in your bentley.

The e30's are inclined to rust around the big rubber grommet where the main wiring loom from the fusebox comes into the car. Drop the cubby open and get in behind the cubby and check there for rust. Water will come in there in buckets if there is a hole there. Also check that this rubber grommet is properly seated and that it is not torn etc.

I have found that if you park some e30's with their nose facing downhill, water will gather in the boot channel and leak into the boot past the rubber seal and run directly into the rear of the car without getting the boot wet. Simply parking the car with the nose higher than the boot solved this problem..

Graham's bit about the water getting in through the fan due to a blockage of the drain hole is another I have had too.

Will

The e30's are inclined to rust around the big rubber grommet where the main wiring loom from the fusebox comes into the car. Drop the cubby open and get in behind the cubby and check there for rust. Water will come in there in buckets if there is a hole there. Also check that this rubber grommet is properly seated and that it is not torn etc.

I have found that if you park some e30's with their nose facing downhill, water will gather in the boot channel and leak into the boot past the rubber seal and run directly into the rear of the car without getting the boot wet. Simply parking the car with the nose higher than the boot solved this problem..

Graham's bit about the water getting in through the fan due to a blockage of the drain hole is another I have had too.

Will

will your telling me....

any idea how to sort it (aside from rust fixing?) might just bung it up somehow

any idea how to sort it (aside from rust fixing?) might just bung it up somehow

Depends on how bad it is Gus.

I would try to remove by cutting etc as much of the rust away and then making up a plate and glueing it in place with a silicon multipurpose glue as a temporary measure till I got round to doing a proper repair. Make sure the surfaces are free of grease, dust loose rust etc or the silicone will not bond properly.

Will

Had a similar issue with water in the rear seat and floor and in the boot (under battery etc). In fact a crap load of it. I thought it was coming in through the boot rubber when i parked the car nose down the driveway. Found out one of the rear light rubbers wasn't in properly and not sealing.