euroriffic

02 x5 3.0D no reverse

Hi guys, 

have recently acquired an x5 with the issue of no reverse gear, but Drives forward no problems. Has anyone had repaired/ or done themelseves, and was it easy/cost effective enough? 
from what my extensive research has told me, is that it’s a GM 5L40E box, and was a common issue, so have found a replacement sonnax remanufactured valve body to fix the issues from summit for about $600US dollarydoos. 

seems simple enough to replace myself, but just seeing what everyone else has done.

cheers

I saw that for sale. Hopefully a simple fix. I vaguely remember an issue like this that Ray (HellBm) fixed very easily. Maybe worth asking?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, euroriffic said:

Hi guys, 

have recently acquired an x5 with the issue of no reverse gear, but Drives forward no problems. Has anyone had repaired/ or done themelseves, and was it easy/cost effective enough? 
from what my extensive research has told me, is that it’s a GM 5L40E box, and was a common issue, so have found a replacement sonnax remanufactured valve body to fix the issues from summit for about $600US dollarydoos. 

seems simple enough to replace myself, but just seeing what everyone else has done.

cheers

I think @TermiPeteNZ may have some input on this?

14 hours ago, Palazzo said:

I saw that for sale. Hopefully a simple fix. I vaguely remember an issue like this that Ray (HellBm) fixed very easily. Maybe worth asking?

Ray is the master, and would be the man to ask!

hopefully get it here late this coming week and can sus it out. My towie mate picked it up and actually drove it through to Cromwell from Queenstown and said it was super tidy and drove well otherwise, so am hoping can get it sorted easily enough 

Have finally had a moment to do some basic checks on the x5. Goes through all forward gears no probs, but can shift a bit rough.

drained a bit of oil out the pan and is not looking good! Very dark and sparkly for something that has only done 10k since having the torque convertor replaced and fluids flushed, so my guess would be the clutch packs gone, as it does have some reverse. 
replace? Rebuild? Or manual/zf auto swap….

IMG_4242.png

Edited by euroriffic

On 2/4/2024 at 7:18 AM, balancerider said:

I think @TermiPeteNZ may have some input on this?

My E53 is the original 4.4i with the ZF 5HP24... slipping in 3rd & 4th and I'm having it transported back to Zane who did the rebuild end of next week .See what happens I suppose 😕

You can drop a lot(!) on a decent rebuild and it can still fail - but not many 2nd hand transmissions around as far as I can see.

On 2/18/2024 at 12:39 PM, TermiPeteNZ said:

My E53 is the original 4.4i with the ZF 5HP24... slipping in 3rd & 4th and I'm having it transported back to Zane who did the rebuild end of next week .See what happens I suppose 😕

You can drop a lot(!) on a decent rebuild and it can still fail - but not many 2nd hand transmissions around as far as I can see.

Yea most I’ve seen are the v8 or the m54 being wrecked. The m54 does share the same box, but I seeing that most people say the m57 box has stronger internals, so not sure if wise to use one, and with looking to remap it as well. 

Manual swap it ;)

• Like 3