gjm

Battery charger

Looking for a new one, to replace the two decades-old, noisy ones I have here. Turn them on and there's a decently loud "MMMMMMMMM" heard.

@M3AN bought a CTEK MSX5.0 nearly 4 years ago - how's that going, Dave?

Any recommendations for an all-encompassing unit? One which will sort cars, motorbikes, a quad (or similar), dealing with lead-acid, Lithium, maybe LiFePO4... Or would it be more sensible to get something specifically for a specific job?

Anyone with any recent experience of investing, or knowledge of good deals?

I have two of the MSX5's, one in permanent 'tender' mode on my M3 and the other used for my 130 and they're brilliant for my needs. The M3 battery seems to love it and is still in perfect condition which, considering the engine only ever gets turned over once every few months, is a win in my books.

I got these combo kits when they were less than the cost of the charger alone, the eyelet attachments and rubber bumper are genuinely good additions (the battery bank not so much).

I paid $139 for each of them looking back, and coincidentally one in August of 2020, and the other in August of 2021... I wonder if they'll do a similar deal in August this year? Might be worth keeping an eye out if you can wait that long.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

I bought a "genuine BMW" charger from Continental, had a euro plug on it and it died after about 18 months, have had a Bosch one for about 2 years now and still going strong, the M5 seems to need about 5 amps to stay healthy between runs, usually once a week. From memory the Bosch one was about $160 - 170 on Trademe.

• Like 1

Which BMW charger ?

Is it the cteck made unit with lifepo4 setting ? Was thinking about getting one of those 5 amp versions.

Havte a Ctek MS5 which has been good and a small motorcycle version . No issues with either but also would like a lifepo4 for the M . I’ve used the MS5  ctek on the M that in lead acid mode but only for charging and stop it manually at 13.3 volts mark.