Sign in to follow this  
gojozoom

E87 130i - aftermarket rims touching front brake calipers

Hi all,

I've been searching the forums for more info on this, but couldn't find good answers. I made the mistake of just trusting a well-known website, provided my rego and it came up with a list of wheel options. I chose a 17" BGW Rampage set with Pirellis, and they were sent to an installer... Well, the front calipers rub on the wheels so they can't be installed. Thankfully I didn't have to pay for this clusterfxxx, but I was told that there is absolutely no way to tell if a set of wheels will rub or not. So he suggested I just keep trying them one-by-one hoping for the best... Is that true? Do I HAVE to go with BMW wheels to avoid this? Even then, how do I tell? 

Any help is much appreciated

Thank you!

Dan

Edited by gojozoom

Not uncommon with random aftermarket wheels so they are right to a degree, all different designs and measurements so unless you have them its hard without fitting to know whats going to work. You'd want to know wheel width, diameter and offset before try anything. If its hitting on the caliper due to the wheel being too small\odd barrel profile or an offset\backspacing issue bring it too close is going to help you identify the issue.   

BMW wheels have accurate offset measurements and all similar design profiles, basically standardized for the brand. Very unlikely it would be an issue in a standard vehicle using offsets and width in the allowable range. 

• Like 2

Much appreciated, thanks. I think it's 410mm but aftermarket companies don't actually share their inside diameter - that makes it kinda difficult to find the right thing. I might stick to a nice E46 wheel design then... Style 207 (stock) is my least favorite and I feel it doesn't match the 130i at all - it's also a nightmare to clean.

Edited by gojozoom

Get an Auto Glym wheel brush, and Auto Glym Clean Wheels, and you'll be sorted.  The brush makes cleaning difficult rims a breeze, it's the best I've used.

@Autoglym is the bloke to talk to.

17s are always going to be a bit touch and go with 130 brakes, I suspect more dont fit than do.

Thank you for the suggestions - I'll go ahead and restore the factory ones, we'll see if a graphite paint would make that touch too. @Olaf I never heard of this product but it sounds like it's gonna work a lot better then the toiletbrush on a powerdrill that I used before :)