musccoo

E91 335i manual swap?

Wondering if anyone has done a manual swap to a GS6-53DZ in the 335i. Obviously first thing is hunting down the swap parts but otherwise mechanically it looks more or less like a standard swap, just wondering about the electrics side of things with CAN...if it will all end up working...cruise control etc.

Thinking about the ultimate family wagon..

On that note did any manual e91 335i's ever come into the country?

Edited by musccoo

Yes all the computer side can be made to work pretty easily, cruise control, reverse mirror tilt etc. Bit of a learning curve if you're not familiar with the software required to do it though.

GS6-53DZ is for N57 (diesel) vehicles - you'll want a GS6-53BZ, though a GS6-45BZ (N55) can be made to work.

1 hour ago, exextatic said:

GS6-53DZ is for N57 (diesel) vehicles - you'll want a GS6-53BZ, though a GS6-45BZ (N55) can be made to work.

335i's came with the 53DZ according to realoem, to deal with the extra torque presumably. Pretty bulletproof gearbox.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=VB73-USA-06-2006-E90-BMW-335i&diagId=23_0926

Edited by Harper

9 hours ago, Harper said:

335i's came with the 53DZ according to realoem, to deal with the extra torque presumably. Pretty bulletproof gearbox.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=VB73-USA-06-2006-E90-BMW-335i&diagId=23_0926

Interesting, though I'm not entirely convinced that's not a documentation error - all images I can find relating to the remanufactured part number have a BZ label.

If trying to use a DZ, be sure to know it's coming from an N54-powered car; the bell housing will be wrong if coming from an N57 vehicle.

• Like 3

Yeah it's a little confusing online. Is the bell housing different from a m135? Wouldn't have thought so..

Good to know electrics can be done, would be new (compared to old school stuff I've done before) but I'm an IT nerd so understand most of that stuff

If you are doing it yourself find the gear in the US.  You may need to join the East/West Coast BMW parts pages.  I was seeing manual swaps or whole cars being stripped every other day over there.

Though the boxes have become popular for LS swaps.

2 hours ago, exextatic said:

Interesting, though I'm not entirely convinced that's not a documentation error

A closer look suggests you're right. The wikipedia disagrees with realoem as well. Would be strange for the M3 to get the BZ while the 335i gets DZ when the torque figure is the same.

1 hour ago, musccoo said:

Yeah it's a little confusing online. Is the bell housing different from a m135? Wouldn't have thought so..

Good to know electrics can be done, would be new (compared to old school stuff I've done before) but I'm an IT nerd so understand most of that stuff

A GS6-45BZ from an N55 vehicle (e.g. M135i) can be made to work. The 45BZ used in S55 (F8x) applications is different (longer bellhousing due to different flywheel setup).

• Like 2

If you have any questions feel free to pm me. I have recently manual swapped my 135i, I used a gs6-53bz box out of a factory manual 135i. It’s really not too hard at all. 

works like a factory manual cad, cruise control works, reverse lights, mirror dips when put into reverse etc.
IMG_6507.thumb.jpeg.71f61b2bab18435588ccbde08f20ad86.jpeg

Edited by elias
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, musccoo said:

Must be a hell of a feeling

It is a whole lot of fun. Single mass flywheel, 550i clutch, and a 3.18 ratio quaife lsd, drives like a go kart