Bmwfan87

Rattling when cold / idle

hey all, i have a 2010 116i and have noticed rattling could be a timing chain, is there anyone in Wellington who. Could help with titining it? 

There is no tightening it.

If the chain is making noise, it likely needs the chain, guides and tensioner replaced. Unfortunately those engines are known for issues with the timing chain (amongst other things).

You really need to take it into someone to get diagnosed. Those engines are common for heatshield rattle on the turbo among other things. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eagle said:

You really need to take it into someone to get diagnosed. Those engines are common for heatshield rattle on the turbo among other things. 

2010 116i = e87? No turbo?

• Like 3

Nope no turbo, i am taking it to the garage  tomorrow, hopefully its not the chain as its only done 116 k kms 

2 hours ago, Palazzo said:

2010 116i = e87? No turbo?

Haha yeah sorry, the 4's start blending to one another from the period.

2 hours ago, Bmwfan87 said:

116 k kms 

Lower mileage ones tend to be worse off these days. Typically jap imports that have used mostly for stop\start short trips so lots of heat cycles and higher run time. Very rarely maintained properly either which adds to the issue.

• Like 1

What do you think I could get for it, I’ll try and sell for around 5-5500 k 

Id value a tidy condition one with no major issues at around 4k give or take. I dont think you'd get more than $1000 if it has timing related issues as that's a 2-3k job to do properly if you paying someone.

• Like 1

Ok so car is fine,  was the Alternator belt, clutch and Pulley. All replaced and now it’s fine. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bmwfan87 said:

Could that issue also be related to burning oil? 

Congratulations, you have discovered another extremely common trait of those engines.

Its easy to tell what engine is in that generation of BMW when they pull away from an intersection. If it leaves a cloud of blue smoke, its a 4 cylinder.

11 minutes ago, KwS said:

Congratulations, you have discovered another extremely common trait of those engines.

Its easy to tell what engine is in that generation of BMW when they pull away from an intersection. If it leaves a cloud of blue smoke, its a 4 cylinder.

lol. No blue smoke. I was just simply asking if the burning oil could be related to the alternator belt, and pulley, I have owned heaps of BMWs in the uk and never had oil issues with any. 

7 hours ago, Bmwfan87 said:

lol. No blue smoke. I was just simply asking if the burning oil could be related to the alternator belt, and pulley, I have owned heaps of BMWs in the uk and never had oil issues with any. 

If its "burning oil" its not just magically turning it into clean air, unless you mean its leaking it and burning externally (which is also a big possibility with those engines).

I hate the be the bad news bear, but those engines are well known to just be junk. Search this forum and its been brought up countless times. It wasnt a high point for BMW.

The V8s of that era were kinda trash too and riddled with serious issues. In comparison, their 6 cylinder engines, although not as reliable as the older ones, were damn near bullet proof in comparison.

Unless you're specifically wedded to that car, if its going as good as it can, i'd probably try to sell it.

17 hours ago, KwS said:

If its "burning oil" its not just magically turning it into clean air, unless you mean its leaking it and burning externally (which is also a big possibility with those engines).

I hate the be the bad news bear, but those engines are well known to just be junk. Search this forum and its been brought up countless times. It wasnt a high point for BMW.

The V8s of that era were kinda trash too and riddled with serious issues. In comparison, their 6 cylinder engines, although not as reliable as the older ones, were damn near bullet proof in comparison.

Unless you're specifically wedded to that car, if it’s going as good as it can, i'd probably try to sell it.

So it’s not leaking, it is burning oil roughly 1 litre every 1k kms. I definitely prefer the older cars. I will probably sell it at some point, probably 5.5k 

It'll be the valve stem seals... No idea how you're claiming it ain't blowing smoke out the exhaust if it's burning through that much oil either.

For comparison, I replaced the valve stem seals on a mate's car ($1,500+ job if you take it to a garage), replaced brake booster (another typical problem on these), replaced some leaking coolant lines, thermostat and coolant plug at the back of the head. Tidy well looked after car overall. Has been up at $5k for 4 months, only message received was a scam, zero interest otherwise. The market is dead. $5.5k for a car with issues is optimistic, if not outright deceitful. 

• Like 1

Thanks for that. I will see if I end up selling. Thanks for that info though.  I have spent heaps on this car, the only smoke I noticed is white when it’s cold. 

I will see what the garage recommends in terms of what you mentioned. 

I am in the car trade, just a bit atm. I’m not deceitful at all, sold heaps of cars in the UK. 

Also I have read online that the 1 series has that problem where it will burn a lire every 1k kms it’s annoying but yer. 

Jesus, if my car burnt a litre every thousand ks I'd scrap it.

You'd need to top it up a a couple of sumps worth of oil between changes!

1 minute ago, KwS said:

Jesus, if my car burnt a litre every thousand ks I'd scrap it.

You'd need to top it up a a couple of sumps worth of oil between changes!

It’s really annoying, I got the service done and so it’s an electronic dip stick so we don’t know how much oil is actually in, I’m hoping it still has the 4.5 litres and it’s only using that 1 litre. As I said this is common, and I have seen hundreds of people having the same issue.