Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Fiat Ad

What do you think about the new ad for the Fiat Idea?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Link to the ad

I understand the cultural insensitivity - that haka is not meant to be performed by women and it will be considered offensive to many Maori and non-Maori.

However, mimckry is the ultimate form of flattery, and at the end of the day the ad is meant to make you smile, not intentionally piss you off. I am undecided whether I should be offended that the Italians refused to seek cultural guidance and went ahead with the ad, or whether it's all just a bunch of PC crap and it doesn't hurt anyone at the end of the day.

So - mimickry or mockery - what say you?

who gives a f**k?

is it even shown in NZ?

i love how <30sec clips on TV thats its not like everyone sees manage to offend so many people...good job

firstly the NZ haka is native to NZ and I believe is culturally insensitive to be performed by foreigners. I believe it is about pride and respect for our country. I guess they cant trademark the haka ... but yeah, it shouldnt be treated as a joke.

Its directly taken from the All Black haka correct ? so its targeting NZ'ers and the Maori people. Its giving it off in such a way that they treat it as a joke rather than a sign of respect ?

I dunno ... food for thought, wondering what they were trying to achieve really. Personally, I'm a tad offended in the manner they did it in, but doesnt worry me so much.

Edited by E30stz

Glad you told me it was meant to be a Haka. I'd say it is just a crap ad. I'm not inspired to buy the car.

Are you saying I shouldn't sing "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" because I'm not English or a Slave?

The Haka is not a NZ thing, it is a Pacific thing. The Samoans, Tongans etc all have their own. So we can't get pissed off. I'd be annoyed with the poor performance of it though.

The Haka is not a NZ thing, it is a Pacific thing. The Samoans, Tongans etc all have their own. So we can't get pissed off. I'd be annoyed with the poor performance of it though.

Kamate is the NZ Haka though and is what was being performed. It is somewhat of a 2nd/3rd national anthem to NZ and is often performed after the main anthem.

Edited by E30stz

Kamate is the NZ Haka though and is what was being performed. It is somewhat of a 2nd/3rd national anthem to NZ and is often performed after the main anthem.

Given the over use of the Kamate haka in nearly every nz sporting marque we have i'm personally sick of it and couldn't give a rats arse who's mimicking it now since our own country doesn't even seem to place the correct importance of it. It's not trademarked so anyone can do it. As for sensitivity, this country is anal about being PC it's sickening.

Haha cracks me up, I mean wouldn't relating something to 'maori' put you off buying something??? Just as stupid as the 'Maori,' cigerettes and remember kids, Its their foreshore fo' sho!!

As for sensitivity, this country is anal about being PC it's sickening.

I vote mimickry is the ultimate form of flattery.

I'm mildly offended by it. Performing the haka brings great pride and really gets the heart going. I love it, and we only pull it out for special occasions such as funerals, birthdays, weddings etc etc as a mark of respect. To see someone mock it like that pisses me off a little, as no thought has gone into the cultural/protocol apsect of it

If we let everyone rip it off, it becomes a commodity and will cease to have any respect.

PS. Haka is a NZ thing. Wardances however are a worldwide thing.

Just my personal thoughts. But as they say, if you are going to do it, then do it properly first time.

I'm mildly offended by it. Performing the haka brings great pride and really gets the heart going. I love it, and we only pull it out for special occasions such as funerals, birthdays, weddings etc etc as a mark of respect. To see someone mock it like that pisses me off a little, as no thought has gone into the cultural/protocol apsect of it

If we let everyone rip it off, it becomes a commodity and will cease to have any respect.

PS. Haka is a NZ thing. Wardances however are a worldwide thing.

Just my personal thoughts. But as they say, if you are going to do it, then do it properly first time.

the BimmerSport maori rep comes and sets the record straight

Carl pretty much summed it up for me.

I am so smegging sick of being nannied and PC bollox everywhere.

It takes a lot to really piss me off - but that does!

agree with tane.

What a sh*t ad though, what is it actually trying to prove with it in there. It wouldnt last 5 minutes on tvnz anyway, even if it managed to get there.

concur

overused haka = meh. we were a joke at the commonwealth games because of it, let them do what they want with it....

agree with tane tho, although you'll probably find that very few italians have any idea what the hell it is, or where it comes from

"MAMA MIA, THOSE WOMEN, THEY CRAZY, WITH THEIR JIBBERISH AND THEIR JUMPING AROUND-A" or something :blink:

if they think branding a car like that is cool then what ever, kinda cracks me up but yes not very culturally sensitive is it, who were they to know any better though.

Drinking Capuccino after lunchtime is culturally insensitive (ask any Italian), chicks running with the Bulls is also, and yet I saw plenty of Kiwi's and Aussies doing it with me.

People in glass houses.....

I'm sure they didn't mean to offend anyone.

This topic has received more discussion on this site, than the Southpark Episode with the Virgin Mary. Which one is in worse taste?

you cant compare drinking cappucino's with our 2nd national anthem as such. This is something that is directly associated with our country and the maori people.

This is something that is directly associated with our nation, our people and our culture. Something as powerful as our national song should not be used to brand a product.

Why a haka ? why our haka ? to what effect were they trying to achieve, there approached seems pointless and still somewhat culturally insensitive.

Im with Cain on this one.

There are plenty of things the Kiwi's do in Europe that are seen as 'culturally' insensitive to those countries but the locals dont get all upset about it.

Im so fed up with all this bullsh!t its not funny.

How about we all crack open a good German beer and watch the final this weekend lads?

What I was originally meant to say is could someone please post up a link?

Then I can form judgements and get the Excellence question. :lol:

Link to the ad

and it will be considered offensive to many Maori and non-Maori.

Speak for yourself mate. I'm a NZ European, and I think it's fantastic. It's pretty cool that they think they can sell more cars to chicks with this add.

maori need to take a bloody chill pill.

Edited by 318is

A white lady with a large bonecarving came into my work and tried to make me say "Manuka" 'properly', like a Maori Elder had told her. I told her to sod off.

Quite often it's some practical whitey with a bonecarving and a 77th of Maori blood lecturing in Pan-Pacific Maori Biculturalism at the local Wananga that is telling you what to do. I thinkt he vast majority of Maori wouldn't care- or fit the Fiat buyer demographic!

I wouldnt go that far Will, but I have experienced what your saying.

I think its very important for NZ to remember its Maori heritige but not at the expense of everyone else.

All this talk about being 'sensitive' is starting to get on my tits. Im more than happy to be respectful and I try every way I can but its starting to go too far.

Ive just watched the ad again and to be perfectly honest it should be pulled due to being completely crap more than anything !

Regardless of the merits or otherwise of the ad, it seems that some people are getting more and more offended by everything these days - or is perhaps the white PC bone carving wearing do-gooders out there that simply love being "offended" on behalf of others who dont give a sh*t?

Guest Spargo

you cant compare drinking cappucino's with our 2nd national anthem as such. This is something that is directly associated with our country and the maori people.

This is something that is directly associated with our nation, our people and our culture. Something as powerful as our national song should not be used to brand a product.

Why a haka ? why our haka ? to what effect were they trying to achieve, there approached seems pointless and still somewhat culturally insensitive.

Do you listen to yourself speak, or do you drift in and out?

To clarify: The Haka isn't MY national song. THE NEW ZEALAND NATIONAL ANTHEM IS.

Edited by Spargo

Do you listen to yourself speak, or do you drift in and out?

To clarify: The Haka isn't MY national song. THE NEW ZEALAND NATIONAL ANTHEM IS.

I agree.

Some of you need to get of your collective high horses and relax.

We are a country who does not hesitate to take the piss out of other countries traditions (albeit in a good natured way), yet suddenly there are parts of our society that are precious about aspects of our culture.

If you don't like the Fiat ad, then you probably wont like this:

http://www.legacypartners.com/Legacy.asp?loc=r_dev11&div=R

They have only just got the spelling right (previously it was called Kiora Park!!)

Cheers

Grant

Edited by Grant