E30stz

Quick Questions

putting the interior of the E30 back together, got a bit of an oil spill on the back seat (leather) pretty sure its brake fluid. any idea how to remove the stickyness? dont want to damage the leather if i can help it, though i fear i have already done so

btw after typing this, i swear the stickyness on the backseat is definately originted from a bottle ;p

That desolve it works well with removing oil marks off leather, i dumped all the stuff from my boot on the lounge suite and my brake fluid leaked on too it...sprayed some of that on it then soap and watered the dissolve it residue off.

Ahhk for some reason I thought 8 bolt was large, 6 was medium?

Andrew is correct. Thats a medium case. You count the bolts on the side bearing carriers, not the rear housing.

I'd use the E30 325 Motorsport axles though, they have larger joints and slightly thicker axles.

Andrew is correct. Thats a medium case. You count the bolts on the side bearing carriers, not the rear housing.

I'd use the E30 325 Motorsport axles though, they have larger joints and slightly thicker axles.

Shweet, added to my list of bits.

Bolt straight in to my 323?

Any idea on the the diameter of M325 axles, just double check that mine doesnt have them already (It has M325 suspension)

Thanks.

Any E30 diff fits any E30, (afaik) I guess your 323 already has a Med Case?

I went small-med case in my E30, and everything fits perfect (had to swap speedo sensor over)

Any E30 diff fits any E30, (afaik) I guess your 323 already has a Med Case?

I went small-med case in my E30, and everything fits perfect (had to swap speedo sensor over)

Yehp, mines med case, was refering to the M325 axles and joints into my e30's rear end.

Tried google the diameter aint found jack :(

studid question i know, but how does a 4.0l bmw v8 compare to an m20b25 in terms of fuel? looking at a new car but having not owned a v8 before im not exactly sure how much more i should expect to pay in gas..

double? tripple? can anyone shed some light? (ps the m20b25 doesnt get nanad around, where as the v8 MAY POSSIBLY be driven slightly more sedate.)

Not a BMW but when I drove a 4.4l Ford around for a couple weeks I used about $20 more a week than my 325i

EDIT: $50 p/week in the 325i

Edited by Blackie

Hi guys.

The driver-side wiper on my E39 520i stopped working. Few days before this happened, whenever I switched on the wiper, there was some screeching noise coming from the wiper motor area. I sprayed some WD40 on it, and the noise reduced by half. But later the right side stopped moving altogether. There is still some noise while the left side moves. The noise only happens when wiper moves, and not while the wiper is static, for example when the switch is on intermittent. Is there any DIY I can do to check what might be the problem. Or is it definitely the motor?

Thanks

Hi Glenn

My wiper problem came back, awhile after fixing it by tightening some bolts as you had suggested. Now both sides would be stuck at the same time randomly anywhere in the middle of the windscreen. Sometimes when they got stuck at intermittent or low speed, pushing the stalk to high speed would move the wiper again, but sometimes not. And the washer is not squirting the cleaner as strong as it should. The left nozzle very weakly, and right nozzle does not squirt at all. I tried filling up the reservoir with more cleaner, but no change.

I read some blogs (http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30428&start=0), and then took out two relays and one of them is a bit damaged at the contacts. Could that be the reason? If the relay is not expensive I could buy one and try it out.

Any advice?

E30 Leaks - what would cause a leak that would take on water in the passenger side footwell .. it seems to be coming from the back not hte front. Any idea how to combat this. Also some dampness in rear passenger side well.

When you have an answer please let me know, I have dampness in rear passengers footwell and boot too...

^can come in around rear tail lights, or boot seal, then it can trace forwards under the rear seat and into the footwell. take out your boot carpet and trim etc, and shut yourself in there with a torch while someone hosepipes all over the rear screen, boot, lights etc etc.

Noob question, is it bad to put 2 different brands of lowering springs in one car e.g. Jamex fronts with Vogtland rears?

I know almost nothing. but I have a feeling it's perfectly acceptable.

Can anyone identify my front spoiler? Looks like its missing the lower edge/lip, but doesnt seem to look like a normal tech 1 front?

Posted Image

bbs?

Looks kinda similar with the raised up "grill" lines, but I havent seen a BBS with spotlights and brake ducts?

I need to replace the washer bottle piping in my e30 (to the bonnet sprayer units) as it is old and cracked. Suggestions for a place to get replacement piping?

Hi, have a couple of pretty simple questions thought i would try out this thread..

1) i am curious, what is a stroker ?

2) i need to replace the vacuum line going from the fuel pressure regulator to the intake on my m20b20. Is this hose 3.5mm vacuum line? if so where do i get 3.5mm vacuum hose from because repco and supercheap dont have it?

I need to replace the washer bottle piping in my e30 (to the bonnet sprayer units) as it is old and cracked. Suggestions for a place to get replacement piping?

6mm (I think) clear irrigation tubing from Bunnings works a treat. Take your old stuff along to confirm sizing.

Been driving around and lately seems like im getting poor fuel consumption. Using 91, top up 20 and only got around 50km. Is it just me? If not what can i do to improve the consumption? Engine is a m20b20 on e30 auto

Does the 1992 318i have a CV Joint? If so can it be taken out and changed or do you have to change the whole axle?

Also is it Chain Driven or Belt Driven?

Cheers

Edited by d'E36'b

E30 325i

Unsure about torque reccomendation for doing up the 6 bolts holding the axles to the diff/diffoutput shafts, have read: 42-46 ft-lbs, is this the right torque or am I reading about the wrong thing?

Passengers side came out in the middle of main south road, was lucky the exhaust caught it, and drivers was loose so wanna avoid this sh*t again! cutting corners never pays off.

Question number 1 -

Does engine check light output M50B25 E34 3.1 DME (Pin 8) simply provide a ground to the bulb?

My car has no ECL, but id like to install something to read the codes, and to tell me if all is well!

Im thinking I could simply install a bulb/LED, wire some juice to one side of it and run an extra wire to the C101/M50 loom

Is it that simple, or is there some electrickery in the output from the DME?

Question number 2 -

Ive read conflicting storys about M50B25 auto DME's in manual cars.

Do I need to ground pin 65 on the the DME to tell it its in park/neutral? Or will it start and run fine without it ground?

Question number 3 -

Am I right in assuming that road speed, RPM, fuel consumption run through the X20 on an M50'd E36/34 to the instrument cluster, but on an E30 run directly from the M20 DME to the instrument cluster? (I recall seeing the wiring for this under my dash, but am not 100%).

So in theory I can just run these three wires up to the e30 C101/fusebox from the cluster and splice them into the M50 E34 loom that way?

Having some wiring diagrams to look at for a 323 would obviously answer these, but I cant find any <_<

Cheers :ph34r:

Edited by Jacko

Where to buy urethane sway bar bushings? Do I need to change the drop linkages too? (this is for the front)

When doing an oil change the front bar bushings (against the body?) look all squished and buggered.

Need some advice about the exhaust on the E34. Had a new system put on it a few months back, its a single pipe going through a couple of resonators then into a rear muffler. It sounds good at 3.5k rpm and up, just at around 1-2.5k it creates a bit of a drone that has started driving me crazy. Would have preferred twin pipes but apparently there is no room under the E34 (im sure ive seen a twin pipe setup on a E34 somewhere)

Very tempted to go back to to stock, but I like the pulse it makes.. just want it quieter.

so my question, any recommendations on how to get rid of the drone and quieten it down (and where to take it?) OR anyone selling a E34 540i exhaust?

Cheers for any advice.