E30stz

Quick Questions

Sorry your way off

suppose the only way to find out will be to do a diagnostic then run a few checks... funny cause I had a similar problem with my E30 same symptoms and it was just a loose lead, but guess I'm way off so it cant be that!

suppose the only way to find out will be to do a diagnostic then run a few checks... funny cause I had a similar problem with my E30 same symptoms and it was just a loose lead, but guess I'm way off so it cant be that!

that may be the case, but the M5x engines are streaks ahead of anything found in an E30. M5x and later its just not worth messing around with trying to work out what went wrong when you can do a scan and it will tell you. Yes you can do that on an E30, but its not always true, and can tend to be conditional.

That said, i wouldnt extend to saying you way off... thats just rude, particularly with no justification as to why. It could very well be that, or something along those lines. Im just saying a scan is the best way to find out

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Hey guys can anyone tell me what spark plugs i should put in the 318i cheers!

Bosch & NGK are the best brands

hey guys,

I've got an E36, 320i prefacelift, with abs issues. The abs light comes on intermittently, sometimes when i drive away, sometimes when i first brake, or sometimes not even at all. It has happened over the last few days, but most of the time if you turn the engine off and wait a bit it wont come back on until I next drive it. Any hints as to what it could be?

Cheers

Jonathan

hey guys,

I've got an E36, 320i prefacelift, with abs issues. The abs light comes on intermittently, sometimes when i drive away, sometimes when i first brake, or sometimes not even at all. It has happened over the last few days, but most of the time if you turn the engine off and wait a bit it wont come back on until I next drive it. Any hints as to what it could be?

Cheers

Jonathan

Possibly the control unit... a scan should give you the info needed

quick q. How do you install the break light switch? Mine is currently not on where its supposed to be. Had a manual conversion by Synthe Takanini and i think they couldnt get it on themselves too. Any fixes for this? E30 320i '88

Why cant they sort it out. If they put the pedal box in, it should be quite simple to sort out. It just screws into the bracket and you can adjust its position and lock it with the lock nut.

Edited by *Glenn*

Im guessing they didnt put it back on cos it seems like the bracket is too small for the switch housing. I tried putting it on myself and it wont fit at all. Does the switch come apart? Right now its taped up into the hose and has to be adjusted everytime i drive so it touches the break pedal. There doesnt seem to be any locknut or screws on the bracket? any pics to help?

Facelift is a small square plug which pushes into a square housing on the bracket, prick of a thing to get off and on. Pre f/l is the round one with a nut and adjustment, f/l has no adjustment apart from a small hammer.

part 6 here is pre f/l http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=35&fg=05

Can't find the square one on realoem but have certainly seen them on E30's.

Thanks Silver Fox. Yup mine is unfortunately the facelift square one. No bolt on it and is hella hard to put in the bracket. No easy fixes apart from tape by the sounds? Looks like this

Brake light switch

Edited by thirdkide30

Facelift is a small square plug which pushes into a square housing on the bracket, prick of a thing to get off and on. Pre f/l is the round one with a nut and adjustment, f/l has no adjustment apart from a small hammer.

part 6 here is pre f/l http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=35&fg=05

Can't find the square one on realoem but have certainly seen them on E30's.

You can adjust the pedal height, which will adjust when the switch closes / opens.

Thanks Silver Fox. Yup mine is unfortunately the facelift square one. No bolt on it and is hella hard to put in the bracket. No easy fixes apart from tape by the sounds? Looks like this

Brake light switch

ok, to fit this you need to pull the red bit out fully, then you can push it into its bracket. you the have to push the red bit back to where it is in the pic, this locks it in place. it's harder to get out as you have to pull the red bit out again.

Can you take a pic of the bracket in the car without all the tape on it ? You might have p/fl bracket and f/l switch

In my 2004 e46 s/w when im driving up hills in 5th gear (tiptronic) it doesnt go anywhere at all, even the slightest hill, if im in fifth gear, i put my foot flat to the floor and the revs dont go anywhere, its as if the car is off, but once you click the accelerator into the button at the bottom, it instantly jumps down to third and redlines like crazy and then i have to put it into 4th, so now just dont bother driving in 5th gear. Any reason for this or is it not powerful enough to go up a hill in 5th? Haha

In my 2004 e46 s/w when im driving up hills in 5th gear (tiptronic) it doesnt go anywhere at all, even the slightest hill, if im in fifth gear, i put my foot flat to the floor and the revs dont go anywhere, its as if the car is off, but once you click the accelerator into the button at the bottom, it instantly jumps down to third and redlines like crazy and then i have to put it into 4th, so now just dont bother driving in 5th gear. Any reason for this or is it not powerful enough to go up a hill in 5th? Haha

Call in tomorrow and I'll check it for you Marcus...please ring first though

Cheers Glenn, it's not bothering me too much so i will get it sorted some time in the new year which should suit us better. Will give you a call tomorrow to arrange a date sometime in jan :)

trying to diagnose my friend's 325i e36. it boggs down and loses power going uphill. its not misfiring going up hill just wont get the power and to rev up past 2.5k.

but on the flat, and downhills no problem getting power and revs to go up. anyone have any idea on the cause?

Be best to scan it and check live data while driving it and work from there

Hi guys, I have noticed since i have changed wheels that they are hitting the inside guard at high speed bumps and corners, i didn't have the problem on my old e36 (which they came off) I checked the shocks myself and they still seem to be ok but i noticed the rubber stop things at the top are very perished. Does this sound like new shock time or to replace those stops...which i think are number 18. Cheers muchly.

post-5369-1324418502.png

Hi team - seems like a stupid question but im having a hard time finding amber indicator bulbs for the front indicators (in the front bumbper) on my e30.

They appear to need to be the dual contact type - repco only seems to sell clear and red bulbs not amber.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction ?

CHeers!

my two local repco stores both have them. maybe they are just out of stock? Supercheap local?

try Segedins on Dominion Road if you're ever near central area lol, beats repco in service and price haha, even if its just a bulb

Hi guys, I have noticed since i have changed wheels that they are hitting the inside guard at high speed bumps and corners, i didn't have the problem on my old e36 (which they came off) I checked the shocks myself and they still seem to be ok but i noticed the rubber stop things at the top are very perished. Does this sound like new shock time or to replace those stops...which i think are number 18. Cheers muchly.

post-5369-1324418502.png

If your car's not any lower than previously, those are bump stops, whoever your local auto dist. is should have replacements, although its a pain to put new ones in as as everything else needs to come out.