E30stz

Quick Questions

That's the one. Part itself isn't too expensive but getting to it is a bit of a mission so labour will be the biggest chunk of the cost unless you go the DIY route. Ideally, you'd do both sides as well - if one's worn out then the other likely won't be far behind either. Then once it's all apart, you might discover the shocks are worn out as well and have no rebound... 

That's what you are looking for... the lighter coloured bit on the top is the actual bump stop. The black tube that clips onto the bump stop is a dust cover to keep the spear and seal clear of grit etc. 

18 hours ago, Liiiam said:

Hey mate, that would be this flesh light/number 4?

Yes, but get the motorsport ones, not the standard ones, part 33536858240 I think but verify yourself. And as above, do both L+R at the same time. Keep in mind that this will require removal of rear suspension so you probably want to verify your shocks, springs, and spring pads don't also need replacing. A mechanic can probably tell this with a visual inspection.

Apologies for the lack of model specificity...

Does anyone know if the BMW-appropriate OBD2 to USB diagnostic lead is the same as a Lexus one?

I’ve just installed a new supply hose and I’ve noticed the lower hose to the transmission cooler is touching the block. Is this ok?

The main connector to the water pump is slotted, so I can’t rotate it away from the block.

IMG_0647.jpeg

On 11/20/2023 at 6:14 PM, E63 said:

I’ve just installed a new supply hose and I’ve noticed the lower hose to the transmission cooler is touching the block. Is this ok?

The main connector to the water pump is slotted, so I can’t rotate it away from the block.

IMG_0647.jpeg

I'm an idiot. This is the waterpump. For a novice, looking at a pic on RealOEM is one thing, and the engine itself is another.

Where has everyone mounted their seatbelt mounts on the tunnel of an e36? Best place I found was right where the centre hanger mounts and think I’ll have too much angle if I move it back by the drive shaft hoop 

IMG_4232.jpeg

IMG_4228.jpeg

IMG_4230.jpeg

Found a lovely puddle of oil under the car after it sat for a few weeks.

Are we saying I need new VANOS solenoid seals? Can't reaaally see evidence of it being timing cover gasket. Might have bumped something when I was replacing vacuum pump seals. Underside of vacuum pump is dry as a bone. Biggest concentration of oil seems to be in pic attached under the VANOS. Oil doesn't go any higher than this.

spxejYQ.jpeg

Doesnt look like a lot of wet oil there to make a puddle. Have you looked under it and checked its not something like the oil pan gaskets?

37 minutes ago, KwS said:

Doesnt look like a lot of wet oil there to make a puddle. Have you looked under it and checked its not something like the oil pan gaskets?

Funny you should mention this, after jacking up the car I noticed a pool forming right under the centre, under the oil pan. I only have 2 jackstands so I can't get fully under it to check. I'll either have to buy another jack (I only have low profile) and some jackstands, or I'll just take it into Page and get it on the hoist.

I'm pretty upset it looks like the oil pan, looks like such an absolute pig of a job that I don't have any of the equipment for.

+1 for oil pan.  I don't know the size of the pool, but it sounds bigger than the diameter of a tea cup?  It might be helpful to understand if the puddle continues to grow over time (suggesting it's leaking from a place with a constant supply of oil when the engine isn't running such as the sump) or the puddle gets to a certain size then stops (suggesting it's leaking from somewhere with a limited supply of oil when not running such as a vanos solenoid). 

My thought is that if the puddle is appearing when the engine isn't running and it's growing the longer it's sitting there it's probably a low down leak around the sump area.  There's also possibilities of leaks from the oil cooler and it's lines though. There may be a little oil in the odd place in the upper parts of the engine but I wouldn't expect any significant quantity to be able to leak out once the engine isn't running.

Did you have a feel for roughly where the puddle was relative to the car?  e.g. was it in the front right corner ?  If you haven't already it could help to take the front under under body cover (the dust cover, not the metal support one) off and leave it off so you can see where the pool is and focus in that area.  Oil can travel down hoses etc so the leak may not be exactly above where the pool is, but it gives you a good start on where to start looking.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 2:23 PM, euroriffic said:

Where has everyone mounted their seatbelt mounts on the tunnel of an e36?

@sweetm3 - Mark has done this w/cert.

On 3/18/2024 at 8:17 PM, Spinner99 said:

+1 for oil pan.  I don't know the size of the pool, but it sounds bigger than the diameter of a tea cup?  It might be helpful to understand if the puddle continues to grow over time (suggesting it's leaking from a place with a constant supply of oil when the engine isn't running such as the sump) or the puddle gets to a certain size then stops (suggesting it's leaking from somewhere with a limited supply of oil when not running such as a vanos solenoid). 

My thought is that if the puddle is appearing when the engine isn't running and it's growing the longer it's sitting there it's probably a low down leak around the sump area.  There's also possibilities of leaks from the oil cooler and it's lines though. There may be a little oil in the odd place in the upper parts of the engine but I wouldn't expect any significant quantity to be able to leak out once the engine isn't running.

Did you have a feel for roughly where the puddle was relative to the car?  e.g. was it in the front right corner ?  If you haven't already it could help to take the front under under body cover (the dust cover, not the metal support one) off and leave it off so you can see where the pool is and focus in that area.  Oil can travel down hoses etc so the leak may not be exactly above where the pool is, but it gives you a good start on where to start looking.

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve managed to grab a slightly bigger jack, and another set of stands, so I can get under it properly and investigate. I reckon there’s a high chance it’s the oil pan. My understanding is I’ll need an engine support bar, and I’ll have to drop the subframe.

Are there any other jobs I can do while I’m down there? For example, would it give me good access to the alternator bracket gasket?

It could also make sense to replace the engine mounts, but I’m not sure how often they need doing, or how to tell they need replacing. 

1 hour ago, E63 said:

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve managed to grab a slightly bigger jack, and another set of stands, so I can get under it properly and investigate. I reckon there’s a high chance it’s the oil pan. My understanding is I’ll need an engine support bar, and I’ll have to drop the subframe.

Are there any other jobs I can do while I’m down there? For example, would it give me good access to the alternator bracket gasket?

It could also make sense to replace the engine mounts, but I’m not sure how often they need doing, or how to tell they need replacing. 

Morning,  I haven't taken a look under my car to confirm but looking at some photos online you shouldn't need to lower the subframe if you're just doing the lower oil pan ( I'm looking at this post https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/n62-lower-oil-pan-sump-gasket-replacment.1358261/ )  .  The upper oil pan yes, I think that would be a lower the subframe type job.  

If you want to do the alternator gasket with the subframe lowered I'm sure that would create more room/access there's a bolt or two around the power steering pump that were difficult to get to but might be easier if the subframe wasn't there, but you don't need to lower the subframe to do that job if you don't want to.  You do need to support the engine though to remove one of the engine mounts as the mount attaches over or on (I can't quite remember) the alternator bracket. I found putting the bracket back on to be a PITA and second set of hands was quite useful for that.  If you want a hand let me know.  My other advice is the oil cooler loved to leak oil so be prepared to contain that :)  I think the worst part of the alternator bracket job was getting the alternator back in, I don't know what I was doing wrong but I think it took me 2 hours 😮 

Replacing the engine mount on the alternator bracket side would be a great job to do while doing the alternator bracket as you've half got it off already.  The drivers side would be extra work.  Sorry I don't know how to tell if they're past their useful life either :) 

3 hours ago, Spinner99 said:

Morning,  I haven't taken a look under my car to confirm but looking at some photos online you shouldn't need to lower the subframe if you're just doing the lower oil pan ( I'm looking at this post https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/n62-lower-oil-pan-sump-gasket-replacment.1358261/ )  .  The upper oil pan yes, I think that would be a lower the subframe type job.  

If you want to do the alternator gasket with the subframe lowered I'm sure that would create more room/access there's a bolt or two around the power steering pump that were difficult to get to but might be easier if the subframe wasn't there, but you don't need to lower the subframe to do that job if you don't want to.  You do need to support the engine though to remove one of the engine mounts as the mount attaches over or on (I can't quite remember) the alternator bracket. I found putting the bracket back on to be a PITA and second set of hands was quite useful for that.  If you want a hand let me know.  My other advice is the oil cooler loved to leak oil so be prepared to contain that :)  I think the worst part of the alternator bracket job was getting the alternator back in, I don't know what I was doing wrong but I think it took me 2 hours 😮 

Replacing the engine mount on the alternator bracket side would be a great job to do while doing the alternator bracket as you've half got it off already.  The drivers side would be extra work.  Sorry I don't know how to tell if they're past their useful life either :) 

Thanks man this is really helpful! Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to get under it and have a look. I see in your post there's a TIS for it too so I'll jump in ISTA and have a look.

I will be very happy if I don't have to drop the subframe. It's quite a daunting task to do solo for the first time..