Sign in to follow this  
M3_Power

My E46 M3 replacement

Call me crazy ... initially I was planning on a GT3 as a replacement, but after driving this I have to say that this is the better car.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by M3_Power

nice car man, did you pick that up from team mc millan by any chance?

WOAH crap.. nice.. interesetd in a swap? LOL !!

bling

but how cool would a $130,000 e30 be

but how cool would a $130,000 e30 be

Not that cool Gus!

I love the Pirelli's too. Remember the cold weather disclaimer on them.

Looking forward to seeing it at the track someday soon.

Droooool... thats such a dream car bro, im so jealous !!!!!!!!

Mods list so far:

AC Schnitzer Racing Suspension - full damper, rebound and height adjustable

Full Borla Exhaust system

The car had 12,800km on it when I picked it up - it's a one previous owner car and it's in immaculate condition. I have a very good personal friend who runs a BMW service dealership who came down to Auckland to check the car out personally for me. We had the car up on the hoist and the underfloor honestly looked like new. We checked over the history of the car and decided that it was a keeper.

Drive experience:

Having owned a couple of E46 M3s in the past I think I have a fairly good idea how these cars handle and drive.

here was the first in 2001 with H&R suspension:

Posted Image

The second in 2003 with AC Suspension

Posted Image

I have to honestly say that if you thought the E46 M3 was good, the CSL simply blows it away in every department. It's the details that makes it a M3 CSL.

I also have to say that despite going from 2 x 6 speed manual M3s to the SMG in the CSL, I don't actually feel the SMG detracts from the driving experience at all. In fact if anything you gain control with the SMG system. It is a very good system and astonishing what it can do. You also have to drive it like a normal 6 speed otherwise it'd be slightly jerky. I haven't had the urge to hit the phantom clutch pedal yet either.

The brakes are also better in the CSL than the normal M3, although it is probably the weakest link in this car. I am sure some Alcon monoblock 6 pots will sort that out though.

The biggest difference between the normal M3 and the CSL really is the weight. You really feel it the first time you step on the accelerator and turn the wheel. The car feels lot more nimble and agile and controllable, although it can get a little bit edgy at the limits.

One thing that also never gets mentioned in the magazines or reviews about the CSL is how harsh it is on the road. The chassis honestly feels a lot stiffer than the normal M3 and the harshness is translated through the seats directly to the driver. The wife has already complained how uncomfortable the car is to ride in compared to the old M3.

Overall I have to say this is a phenominal car ... oh and did I mention the noise ... nothing sounds remotely like it .... individual throttle inline 6 on full song ....

Edited by M3_Power

Guest Spargo

I love the Pirelli's too. Remember the cold weather disclaimer on them.

The factory michelins have a disclaimer on them too!

Question: was the original owner a racing licence owner? If he was, perhaps its been delimited from factory?

Overall I have to say this is a phenominal car ... oh and did I mention the noise ... nothing sounds remotely like it .... individual throttle inline 6 on full song ....

record it and upload :)

Call me crazy ... initially I was planning on a GT3 as a replacement, but after driving this I have to say that this is the better car.

Hey nice to see ya on the site :) would be really nice to have a few of e46 build cars on the runs ... there is a megameet coming up end of sept .. would be great to see you along

and congrats ... really nice vehicle!

cheers

josh

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone.

I have to say I am loving this car also. It's soo different to a normal M3, it's like owning a different car.

Wow! Thats one incredible machine!Congratulations.I'll buy it off you in 20 years when I'm rich. :D

Were you , by any chance, going to buy the GT3 From Armstrong Prestige in Christchurch ?

Congrats on the purchase, love that car, still looks new! Can't believe you've owned two E46 M3s already. I think I saw your second one on TradeMe sometime ago, the suspension was for sale I believe. What caught my eye was the lip on the front bumper, what lip is that?

Now with BBS wheels - for road use.

Seeing that the Pilot Sport cups that you get with the car are a hard compond and take years to heat up to operating temperature, I decided to grab a set of BBS CH at 19 x 8.5 ET 35 and 19 x 10 ET20 with Goodyear Eagle F1s for the CSL. These are a near perfect offset for this car I think - much better than the stock wheels at ET44 and ET27 front and rear respectively.

Photos:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wow! Thats one incredible machine!Congratulations.I'll buy it off you in 20 years when I'm rich. :D

Were you , by any chance, going to buy the GT3 From Armstrong Prestige in Christchurch ?

Thanks, I'll keep you in mind - I might keep this car as a collection I think.

Yes I did look at that GT3 from Armstrong in Christchurch - but it's had way too many "Porsche Cup Racer" ex owners for my liking. I also don't like the MKII as much - the MKIs are more of a classic compared to the MKII 996 GT3s. I actually nearly bought the black 996 GT3 MKI from Continental with 10,000km on the clock with 2 previous owners - now that was a mint car.

Edited by M3_Power

Are those the CH's from Trademe Buy-Now $2000??

If so, one hell of a steel, and look fantastic!!

I wished they were 18's every time I saw that listing :(

Edited by E30-323ti

pffft! what a piece of crap. My e30 is waaaaay better!

Nice one mate - car for me to aspire to. Very cool. :wub: The new wheels are a good choice. You lose a tiny bit of the refined look for a much more dsireable - raw GT race look. Awesome.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey