Sign in to follow this  
Docile

e38 740i

Dad planning on buying another beemer and we came across a 740i 1995. was just wondering how is it on petrol consumption, maintenance costs + any problems with this model + "I" wanna know the pimp factor on it LOL!!

i beilieve its an m60 engine model.

and what are the standard features of this model.

any info would be highly appreciated

Edited by Docile

Dad planning on buying another beemer and we came across a 740i 1995. was just wondering how is it on petrol consumption, maintenance costs + any problems with this model + "I" wanna know the pimp factor on it LOL!!

i beilieve its an m60 engine model.

and what are the standard features of this model.

any info would be highly appreciated

Mine friend has one. same year too. They are good on gas for the v8 and massive tourque that they have.

Maintenance costs are high unless you do it yourself.

As far as problems go... I'd get mechanical insurance if I were you for example a rear door window modulator just burnt out in his the other day and it cost him $1900 just for the modulater and we put in it in ourselves. f**k if we'd got bmw to do it the job would've being well over $2000.

As far as pimp factor goes.....Well every female that goe for a ride falls in luv the the smoothness and elagance of a v8 7series.

Tell your old man if he don't buy it he'll regret it ...........f**kin awesome car..

Bit too big for my likings though :ph34r:

Petrol Consumption will be fine on long trips. I've just come back from Papamoa and averaged 10.1l/100km (to Auckland). Around town, it will depend on how heavy your foot is. We normally get 12.3l/100km around town.

I'd consider one.

you've got a e38 740i?? any comments and things to look for when buying one?

ive read in bimmerforums.com that there is some problem with the fuel used there and caused damage with the pistons, dont know if that applies here though.

hows the turning radius like? and is it hard to park and manouver?

Edited by Docile

No, I've got an E34 540.

The motor problems you are talking about with the Nikasil block are not relevent in NZ. Our fuel was not similar.

Before I'd buy one, get it checked over by a BMW dealer. They have lots of electronics and when you need to replace stuff, it does cost a bit (makes the BMW Car Club membership worthwhile). That is assuming that you want to keep it standard. Otherwise, you can get non-EDC shocks for about a third of the price.

Our car has 185k on the clock and never had a problem with the motor.

well we are gonna have a look at it next week, so if the old man likes it hes gonna haggle a bit and pay cash.. haha

There are ALOT of these cars around at the moment.

I suggest you do your homework and make sure you get something with all the toys. Jochen can convert your tv and sat nav etc and I would seriously consider you getting something that he can convert.

As Cain says, Nikasil was a major issue around the world but that was were petrol had a high sulphur content which I believe NZ didnt have. They are excellent on a long run, but around town you are going to get nothing better than 15/16 mpg. In Wellington I get around 14 as Im up and down hills all the time.

The standard suspension can be a little soft after time and they are heavy cars, so if its been thrown around a little the front suspension/steering might be due for a little repair. Look out for a shaking steering wheel at about 55/60 mph, thats the first sign that something is getting soft.

For cruising, I honestly dont think you will find anything better.

Send me a PM if you have any specific questions you want answering. I was going to reply here earlier but have been too busy :(

I owned a 730i (V8 still) when I was 18-19 (and I'm female) no issues with parking/turning radius for little me!

If I were to buy another, I'd definitly get an NZ new - Singapore Imports tend to have a few more issues (esp with plastic being brittle and easily breaking) just my opinion though...

If you get a Japan car talk to me about getting the radio and nav system working properly over here (if you want to)

If you get a Singapore car the radio and nav system will be NZ-compatible

Whatever you do, make sure you get the car checked

Common faults:

Window winders - make sure all windows go up and down properly

Sunroof - make sure it works well

Rain sensitive wipers - test they work

Pixels on air con and dashboard displays - make sure all pixels work

Engine water pump - make sure fan is solid, not up-down or left-right movement, otherwise waterpump is shagged

Make sure all the electrics work - electric seat movements, heating, all controls

The heater vontrols can fail, make sure it properly blows hot and cold air when selected

Test the air con

Test all lights etc, make sure the CHECK CONTROL says OK

Make sure no engine warning lights etc are lit.

Put the dashboard into diagnostic mode and check the fault codes - should be none.

Cheers, Jochen

OMG sweet for the infos !!!

the guy we buying it from says he has spent alot in maintaining it and keeping it mint ( this statement can be a double edged sword though) either lots have gone wrong and he just spent lots to fix it or just spent money in upkeep costs. and that the engine runs fine. but will do check it thoroughly.

will print out that checklist to do when we go over and check it out.

and for that long drive v8 cruising power. old man is going to North palmy on labour day weekend.. he is very keen on getting it and driving it down there. :)

personally i hvnt driven any v8's yet <_<

Edited by Docile

well had a good look at the car today.. damn !! that guy has a bottomless pit in his pocket full of cash... we are getting it tomorrow morning

he had reciept for a full engine rebuild from team mcmillan costing him 8 grand. and that engine sounds mint except for some hoses which needs to be replaced. i guess thats wat you get when your a CEO.

few minor things though:

1: rubber on rear passenger doors cracked.

2: a few bumps and scratches which should be easily painted and touched up.

3: a driver door trim came off which i checked can be just glued back in.

4: engine is dirty az!!.. gotta get an engine clean too

other than that its all mint !! full electrics work, leather condition 8/10 -all clean but a few has air pockets already but we dont really care..

oh and a free full tank gas LOL!! all 85 litres B)

mags are standard bmw basket weeve 16' 235 all around all new tires too

Edited by Docile

nope its from an andrew guy...

will have pics up tomorrow when we get it

good deal huh for 7.5k :)

Edited by Docile

good deal huh for 7.5k :)

Hmmm, I dont want to rain on your parade and truely hope youve got a great car at a bargain price, but a 95 740i thats supposedly had heaps of money spent on it but is still not mint (cracked rubbers, paint scratches, leather with air pockets, very dirty engine, hoses that need replacing etc) that he's happy to take 7.5k for......sounds suspicious.

Also you dont 'glue on' trim in a 740 my friend, you buy the clips from the dealer and do it properly ;)

well those things can be done for cheap.. well except prob the rubber strips.. which will need to be replaced???

and about the trim, yeah prob your right will have a look at it closer

Edited by Docile

well he said its been garaged most of its life hence dirty engine..

btw need to know what time of gsm sim card can be put into the in car cellphone??

makes no sense? even if it was outside...cars have bonnets. ah well hope it goes well!

oh that didnt sound right LOL

what i ment was that its been stored for quite a while in his office car parking .. he hasnt been using it as he has a company car now..

oh and yeh runs mint !!

btw need to know what time of gsm sim card can be put into the in car cellphone??

Vodafone??

nah i bought a sim card for it.. i inserted it. and it says check card????

i dont think the chip itself lines up with the chip reader on the phone.. :angry:

nah i bought a sim card for it.. i inserted it. and it says check card????

i dont think the chip itself lines up with the chip reader on the phone.. :angry:

Can the phones be used in NZ?

I believe they do work in NZ, but you need to get the correct setup from BMW NZ, ring and ask a dealer.