Sign in to follow this  
TronSpec

Why is the no BMW in D1NZ?

Mad tyte.

Why is there no D1 e30???

Touching on what m325i said.... Why is there no e30's or let alone any BMW in the New Zealand Drift scene??

Going by how mine handles and the videos that I've seen on the net they look and feel like they drift sweet. :ph34r:

andrews words: wheel base is too short for e30's to be compeditive. needs more touring :D

I think people are just keeping away from them due to the purchase price and price of parts. (an e30 would get around this) compared to the likes of Cefiro's and Laurels.

E30 325 or an E34 535 would rock... As would a turbo E30.

As long as you've got a reliable drivetrain and suspension system there's not much more that matters in a drift car.

Haha, although I just got a mental image of how sick that blue 840 would look amongst a track full of Silvia's and Cefiro's.

e34 m5 going sideways WOOT !! damn. burn some rubber !! although not the most economical choice, but think of your fans :D cmon.. think !!

You have to have power, so unless you got turbo your going to lose in an E30.

for under $5k you can probabaly pick up a 750 iL off trade with about 1.5 tonnes of weight stripped out of it and straight twin pipes it would sound wicked , would be the right wheel base and burn rubber effortlessly .....anyone intersted I would be happy to help build and sponsor

cheers

Hove

ooo a bimmersport d1 project sounds nice :)

isnt the 750il a v12? haha !! a v12 drifter

question is IF we do it.. who can drive it?

Edited by Docile

ooo a bimmersport d1 project sounds nice :)

isnt the 750il a v12? haha !! a v12 drifter

question is IF we do it.. who can drive it?

I will pay money to drive it !!!

PS I'm serious

Cheers

Hove

It would be cool in an E34 i reckon. or E39

Thats NZ Drift Taxi talk...

AE86? Yes power is important but not essential in some cars. e30 would be one of the better 'low power' drifters? You'd need turbo though.

A Touring could compete, (maybe not compete to win).

well ive seen the ae86 drifting.. and lost to the cefiro.. not enough power to make the smoke smoke that the cefiro was doing

Not really, that isnt entirely correct, you can get some very underpower cars to drift. Just like i said before look at the ae86, 1600 DOCH motor, In a stripped RWD setup will be more nimble and easir to drift than alot of more powerful larger/heavier cars...

Edit: in a drift battle smoke is not really a main judging point, more angle/speed into corners/overtaking or 'drafting' the opposing car while in a drift is what you will gain most of your points on. Basically the bigger angles you get the better points you will acheive. Heavy cars cant do this aswell as the smaller/lighter ones.

Edited by sakdbma

I think that a stripped out 325 with around 150-160hp could be just as effective a drift car as a 300hp 5 or 7 series.

It's all about car control, power isn't a big factor.

Remember its about sliding the car in a fluid, controlled manner around corners at high speed, not spinning the wheels and making smoke.

And I know if I was throwing a car around multiple corner's at speed, I'd much rather have a nimble lightweight car.

id go for a 328i more torque to pull you out of the corners...

a 10kish car + a few mods should be good enuf.. total of about 20k+?? and you have urself a comp d1 car

oh yeh coupe or 4 door??

Edited by Docile

id go for a 328i more torque to pull you out of the corners...

a 10kish car + a few mods should be good enuf.. total of about 20k+?? and you have urself a comp d1 car

oh yeh coupe or 4 door??

Isn't really much of an issue between coupe and 4 door, whichever has the cheapest body parts.

Personally I'd go for an E30 as parts are cheaper and more available.

Generally its not torque that you need to put the car back in a straight line after a slide, its a smooth reduction in power to regain traction before accelerating into the next corner.

Basically, a solid 325 E30 Manual would be a good starting point.

After that, brakes (yes, there's more to it than jamming a screw into your handbrake on race day) a lot of suspension work, an aftermarket LSD and clutch, cage, seats, basic engine mods, intake and exhaust, bigger radiator & a remote oil cooler... bit of head work for longevity if you were keen (in the valve's, valve spring and stopper department) and you'd be set.

I think it would be more a case of about a 5kish car plus about 10-15k of mods. And if you did it right you'd make it useable for other events than drift also.

Only other way I think I'd go in the BMW direction was if a slightly higher budget was involved in which case a turbo M20 E34 525 would be the way. Then you'd be more competing in the Cefiro/Laurel style of big power and long wheelbase rather than the AE86 style of holding speed through the corners and relying more on weight transfer and driver control to slide the car rather than high power as I'd imagine would also be the case with an E30 325.

Edited by 318isCoupe

haha Shot old man

If I win lotto I wanna cage my beast and get into drifting. Like everybody says though.... even though you don't need power it's good to have it.. Mmmmmm Turbo

Edited by MrHamWallet

I don't see why a underpowered E30 couldn't drift.

That lil blue DX corolla went nuts and I'm pretty sure that was non turbo...might have been a 4age but nothing too extreme.