Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Tyre choice

Been having a word to my tyre guy whose a friend of the family. Helps me out alot on little things here and there, so I'm going to go to him even though he's not the cheapest as its worth the few extra dollars for the free advice all year round.

Been quoted $1000 fitted for 4x Dunlop Sport Maxx 205/45/r17. I wanted Sport 9000's but he only has those in a DSST (run flat) spec which is what is no the car now and they give a harsh ride being run-flats.

The other option is 215/40/r17 Dunlop Direzza's for a little bit less. I'm worried that 215's may look a bit fat on the rims as the 205's look perfect.

How do the two compare performance wise?

Anyone have a compelling reason why i should go a totally different route?

Cheers.

direzzas rock and a little wider is a little better no? esp if cheaper. 215/40 looks fine on an e30

Im running Dunlop Sport SP1's on the 7 after having Falken FK451's and I will go back to the Falkens when these are done. Admittedly the Falkens where 275 and these are 255 which makes a difference but its so much easier to break the rear end loose with the Dunlop's its not funny.

I wouldnt touch run-flats in NZ, the roads are just too awful.

I have Direzza's on the Scooby wagon in 215/40/17 and they do the job. A little harsh for Wellington streets but the bilstein suspension doesnt help either.

As for the 325, I'm about to stick direzzas and goodyear f1's on. Ive never tried the f1's but the tread pattern looks sweet !

So a vote here for the Direzza's :)

You can never give a straight forward simple answer can you Martyn

Direzza's for the win

What offset are your rims Graham? I run 215/40 r17 direzzas on my 38p offset and they are fine. No rubs

Thanks all. I'm no closer to a decision, but have a few more ideas. Cheers.

I'd go Sport Maxx - it's a badass tyre. Had it on the swift.

Yeah 0 just subsribed to Classic Car for my old-fullas xmas prezzie - went into the draw for a set of them, so I'll get those when I win.