Sign in to follow this  
TronSpec

e30 89 320i (not)

Thought I'd post a few quick dirty pics of the car since the swap was complete. Being driving it round for about 4 days now.

Everything working fine.... Suprisingly my wiring had no mistakes as I took it into Northland Prestige BMW dealer ( thanks Nick and Glenn ) and had them plug into the dme. Just the o2 sensor came up but I ain't gonna run one

Extractors and induction setup are working good :) .

Goes really well and use's heaps less gas than the old m20 b20. Only thing is I think my diff is a little too tall as it's really hard to drive around town and try 100kmh in 5th doing 1750rpm, Also need to sort an electric fan and have it on a switch as the thermo fan is barely keeping up in traffic and at the light's.

Mod's to date:

92 m50b25 nonvanos (ex e34) 140,000ish kms Chipped ecu

Custom 32mm equal length mandrel bent exhaust manifold heat wraped (mild steel) into stainless 2.5" straight through exhaust

Custom stainless mandrel bent 3" intake with K&N

Heavy duty carbon kevlar double sprung clutch (autoclutch NZ)

2.93 Limited Slip Diff

e21 booster with rekitted stock e30 M/C Zonelli Slotted front rotors with oem bmw pads and stock rear rotors with oem bmw pads. Dot 5 fluid. stock calipers just rekitted

Bilstein shortened shocks

Jamex 60mm springs

Custom strut top hats with cusom alloy strut brace ( thanx Riley aka drity325i )

urethane bushes throughout the car including adjustable rear trailing arms ones but put rubber one's back in for subframe as it's my daily driver and see's alot of rough roads.

After market rear taillights and front and side indicators Custom smoked painted.

Momo Steering wheel Jamex race seats //M gearshift nob

A panel and paint is on the cards in the next few months as there is some rust coming through in a few places and the paints pretty much f**ked

sh*t better not forget to get a bimmersport sticker to.. :ph34r:

post-746-1167167483_thumb.jpg

post-746-1167167613_thumb.jpg

post-746-1167167644_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrHamWallet

Looks bloody nice mate, you have really taken your time and done everthing really well. Very impressed

As far as the diff goes imo i would say a 3.63lsd would be ideal for your setup. You should have no probs selling

or trading your 2.93lsd to someone turboing there m20 or doing a V8 swap :rolleyes:

depends if you decide to turbo the m50 of not.

Hey Gary, bit of water, soap and sponge would go down well...

Will

Looks bloody nice mate, you have really taken your time and done everthing really well. Very impressed

As far as the diff goes imo i would say a 3.63lsd would be ideal for your setup. You should have no probs selling

or trading your 2.93lsd to someone turboing there m20 or doing a V8 swap :rolleyes:

depends if you decide to turbo the m50 of not.

Yeah if someone was keen to swap Lsd's ;) or I could just put my old open 4.1 back in and sell the Lsd. I want to secure another Lsd first though

Won't be turboing anymore . Switch jobs so can't afford to do it let alone run it.

Hey Gary, bit of water, soap and sponge would go down well...

Will

Nah when I wash it all the rust spots show up and you can she how faded the paint is. I allways keep it a nice shade of dirty..

Yeah if someone was keen to swap Lsd's ;) or I could just put my old open 4.1 back in and sell the Lsd. I want to secure another Lsd first though

Won't be turboing anymore . Switch jobs so can't afford to do it let alone run it.

May be keen to do some sort of swap fella ill just see how it goes with the 3.73 first, it will be very lose.

May be keen to do some sort of swap fella ill just see how it goes with the 3.73 first, it will be very lose.

Sounds promising Riley. Yeah the 2.93 would be perfect if i had another 100 - 150 hp ie. turbo

Edited by MrHamWallet

Sweet bro. Don't go open diff. It's infuriating enough m20b25. If you do want to go open i'll take your LSD lol.

Pity you couldn't finish before xmas, but I expet a visit next year for that wee boat trip we discussed.

hi ,i have a small case std 3.64 diff .for e30 or z3, ti etc

Hey Gary It looks good!

Don't wash it! [As I quoted on another thread] spend more than a $$thousand on a car and it should wash itself haha!

Seriously though! top job in the engineering dept

Have a good new year [don't get too hammered]

nice work man ! :D .. now get new job and turbo it :P

seriously .. great to see some of these type of conversions around and that you finished it.

Nah when I wash it all the rust spots show up and you can she how faded the paint is. I allways keep it a nice shade of dirty..

Word.Faded paint sucks.Didn't think anyone else did the same as me <_<

Conversion looks mint man

Good work

If you don't mind me asking - what costs were involved in the engine swop?

engine : $1000 including slushbox auto that I sold for $700 so engine was only $300 really

Took a week to rip the old and put the new in (at night after work)

Motor mounts were like $30 each

Extractors and intake and exhaust were about $2000 in parts and I had my engineer mate to do a little bit of the hard stuff

f**k man I've lost track really aye. All up would've cost me under $3500 just to get the m50 in and running reliably and legal.

Secret is to find a deal on a motor first as the wreckers still want couply thousand for them and then do most if not all the work yourself. It's easy I just bought some tools ( had most ) a haynes manual for my car and the e34 - e36. Then did about 4mths solid research on the internet about the swap as there are lots of guys round the world with them done. They pretty much ironed out the problems I was going to have. Hence why my wiring worked well. Just copied a guy from the uk.

Thanks for the feedback. It's being alot of time and hard work to get her finished and running sweet and I'm very happy with the end result compared to the old 2.0 m20 it had.

Wasted a e36 325i up the overtaking lane last night. His was auto but he was trying........ ( hahaha on a private road of course :ph34r: )

Shot mate, good on ya 4 putting the hard yards into the R&D department, pays off in the long run doesnt it.

Shot mate, good on ya 4 putting the hard yards into the R&D department, pays off in the long run doesnt it.

Yeah most definatly. I was kinda just " flying blind" learning as I went. But because I was following detailed step by step instructions out of information I gathered on the net.

The only hard part really was the exhaust manifold as most of the swaps I'd researched were left hand drive so there's no steering universal in the way.

Custom branch extractors is the go. I was gonna just hack up the stock cast iron ones and make them fit but it would've looked rough as

Edited by MrHamWallet

Nice car, I will be keeping an eye out round whangarei for it.

Nice car, I will be keeping an eye out round whangarei for it.

Sweet bro. Should suss you out for a beer. Also happy to help with anything on your e30's Mike just holla

MrHamWallet Posted Dec 29 2006, 09:04 PM

Sweet bro. Should suss you out for a beer. Also happy to help with anything on your e30's Mike just holla

Next pay day I should have enough money to get a few things fixed. Will PM you.

Guest Ken

Got room for another Whangarei lad ("old timer"), I'd love to see your work, you should write a book(let) maybe?

HNY

Ken.

Edited by Ken

Got room for another Whangarei lad ("old timer"), I'd love to see your work, you should write a book(let) maybe?

HNY

Ken.

Hey Ken

Yeah I've put together a folder full of information that I've gathered and indexed so it's pretty much a walkthrough on the swap

Guest Ken

Hey Ken

Yeah I've put together a folder full of information that I've gathered and indexed so it's pretty much a walkthrough on the swap

Scan it and host it on this site maybe?