Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

My awesome day.

i got a postcard the other day saying they'll be posted between the 17th and the 24th.

and on the web after theyve posted yours.

yea ive got no idea wether ive got not achieves or merits, guess i'd no if i did some decent study.

Man, At my school they EXPECT you to do hardcore study.... and anything less than merits is frowned upon.

Didn't get my results today. Might start up a NCEA results thread so we can discuss whats going on lol

Man, At my school they EXPECT you to do hardcore study.... and anything less than merits is frowned upon.

Didn't get my results today. Might start up a NCEA results thread so we can discuss whats going on lol

I did 5th form the first year that NCEA started and got excellence in everything except two merits in english.. The lucky bunch that got experimented on that year have some pretty crazy results, I got 138 credits that year.. then the next two years the excellences and merits were more balanced and I got 118/112 credits respectively..

So as long as you're prepared to work hard throughout the year and rake in the internal credits, you don't have to stress too much about the exams and the exam credits will just be a bonus, I'd gained level 1 & level 2 before the exams both years.. So as long as you pick your right subjects (personally I'm a history, classics and english nut, I did 6 subjects every year..) and work hard during the year there's no reason why you can't have a really good mark..

I did 5th form the first year that NCEA started and got excellence in everything except two merits in english.. The lucky bunch that got experimented on that year have some pretty crazy results, I got 138 credits that year.. then the next two years the excellences and merits were more balanced and I got 118/112 credits respectively..

So as long as you're prepared to work hard throughout the year and rake in the internal credits, you don't have to stress too much about the exams and the exam credits will just be a bonus, I'd gained level 1 & level 2 before the exams both years.. So as long as you pick your right subjects (personally I'm a history, classics and english nut, I did 6 subjects every year..) and work hard during the year there's no reason why you can't have a really good mark..

Exactly, Jacob did you go to Taurunga Boys? Taurunga Girls Cricket team was a funny bunch to face at nationals..

I worked hard all year, regardless of whether my school expected it or not (and they made clear that they do) and acheived every single credit possible (I picked all the subjects that didn't give alot, but rewarded you with Exc's and Merits if you were willing to go the extra mile) Got 9 Excellences, 7 Merits, and 1 Acheived (Pissed off about the acheived) Total of 72/72 Internal Credits gained.

I was always told not to stop at 80 credits, to continue working hard. I can't really understand why alot of students just stop once they've got 80... when theres another 70 credits available.. It sure looks good on your CV.

Oh yeah, and Ashkan,. after I read your thread I tripped up the stairs to the garden then the washing line decided to come knock me on the head. Must be a disease! Hope ur ok today!

Exactly, Jacob did you go to Taurunga Boys? Tauranga Girls Cricket team was a funny bunch to face at nationals..

Suure did, I know a lot of the girls who've finished 7th form this year coz I used to date one and a lot of them have been real close friends for aaages.

I played 3 years for the boys 1st 15 and was in the junior 1st 11 until 5th form when I made the switch to Rugby..

Boys is a perfect school for someone who's both academically good and sporting as they tend to make a big fuss about their sports players and being good academically means all the teachers tend to treat you really well and generally let you get away with anything.. I enjoyed the school, although being the country's largest boys school (or 2nd largest?) it's a school of small groups that don't intermingle much, I was fairly sociable and got on with the jocks, geeks and muso's so It was fun..

I worked hard all year, regardless of whether my school expected it or not (and they made clear that they do) and acheived every single credit possible (I picked all the subjects that didn't give alot, but rewarded you with Exc's and Merits if you were willing to go the extra mile) Got 9 Excellences, 7 Merits, and 1 Acheived (Pissed off about the acheived) Total of 72/72 Internal Credits gained.

I was always told not to stop at 80 credits, to continue working hard. I can't really understand why alot of students just stop once they've got 80... when theres another 70 credits available.. It sure looks good on your CV.

Definately, all of my subjects were heading towards law and I'd organised and enrolled to do my LLB at Victoria (personal invite!) but about a month after I left school I had a complete change of heart, worked for a year and got involved with a part-time Bachelor of Management studies to Auckland via. correspondence.. much to everyones disgrace, But its something I feel more passionately about and something I'm finding more enjoyable.

You're starting 7th form this year right? I found it much more enjoyable and satisfying than 6th form (and no it doesn't have anything to do with scoring any of the young female teachers that started that year..)

Best of luck! hope your results were sweet!

Edited by 318isCoupe

Suure did, I know a lot of the girls who've finished 7th form this year coz I used to date one and a lot of them have been real close friends for aaages.

I played 3 years for the boys 1st 15 and was in the junior 1st 11 until 5th form when I made the switch to Rugby..

Boys is a perfect school for someone who's both academically good and sporting as they tend to make a big fuss about their sports players and being good academically means all the teachers tend to treat you really well and generally let you get away with anything.. I enjoyed the school, although being the country's largest boys school (or 2nd largest?) it's a school of small groups that don't intermingle much, I was fairly sociable and got on with the jocks, geeks and muso's so It was fun..

Definately, all of my subjects were heading towards law and I'd organised and enrolled to do my LLB at Victoria (personal invite!) but about a month after I left school I had a complete change of heart, worked for a year and got involved with a part-time Bachelor of Management studies to Auckland via. correspondence.. much to everyones disgrace, But its something I feel more passionately about and something I'm finding more enjoyable.

You're starting 7th form this year right? I found it much more enjoyable and satisfying than 6th form (and no it doesn't have anything to do with scoring any of the young female teachers that started that year..)

Best of luck! hope your results were sweet!

I've heard that Taurunga Boys is very highly sporting, afterall its your logo that is a guy swinging a discuss, right? Did you go to any national tournaments for TB's? Do you know any 7th form cricketers?

Yeah I've got the idea of LLB/BComm (Management) at Otago, but I think Law is gonna change for Management too. My Dad is a lawyer so it runs in the family but he doesn't find it amusing. How do you find correspondence?

Thanks, nope im 6th form. I can't wait till 7th form, this year apparantly is the most difficult, changeing pretty much from a girl into like um uni student woman thing... + difficult academically wise AND have to be on my best behaviour for Prefectship next year!

Thanks Jacob, I hope so too!

They always say not to stop at 80 but there's no reason why you should go on, at the end of it all you still get your name on a bit of paper that says you passed level 1, level 2 etc and you can put it on your CV but the number of employers that can actually understand the NCEA marking scheme is a very small percentage. So in the mind set of alot of people there really is no point to go much furthre passed 80 credits. Even at my previous school Palmy Boys (possibly the most anal School in the country) there were a number of boys that didn't strive as hard after they'd attained their 80 credits, but whats the school to do as you've already passed so it's not as though your failing.

I myself have finished school passing all levels, while not working anywhere near my potential as i didn't need to, so i didn't, thats just my attitude.

NCEA was the totally wrong thing for NZ schools but it's in the past for me now so i tend not to bother with it all now.

Cheers Mavrick

A B C FAIL

It should be that easy. Combined with a GPA, it is a pretty accurate indicator of performance.

NCEA grading sucks for those of us who don't understand it.

They always say not to stop at 80 but there's no reason why you should go on, at the end of it all you still get your name on a bit of paper that says you passed level 1, level 2 etc and you can put it on your CV but the number of employers that can actually understand the NCEA marking scheme is a very small percentage.

I totally disagree with this.

I am an employer of a large number of people. I recently interviewed 4 young school leavers for scholarships in Resource Planning at Uni. These 4 youngsters had gone way beyond the 80 credits and their results were swamped in "Excellence" and "Merit" passes. The standard of these 4 applicants we interviewed was so good I decided not to offer just one scholarship, but two. Their results proved to me that they were more than willing to apply themselves fully to their studies, and that I would not be wasting money on their scolarships on parties, hotted-up cars etc. The only disappointment was that I didn't have enough in the budget to offer all 4 of them scholarships.

We had a large number of applicants with results much like you are promoting as being sufficient, they didn't get beyond a first glance.

And, believe me, there are a LOT of employers out there that DO understand the NCEA system.... Anyone who wants to employ decent people who will be a credit to the organisation will have done the hard yards in getting an understanding of NCEA.

So my advice is to go out there and do the best you can, lazy people seldom succeed in life unless they get left a lot of money.

Will

When we're assessing a student's school record for entry into our programmes, we get a little confused with the NCEA results and after many bad experiences, we now tend to err on the side of caution, in that we give little or no credence to them. Thus where in the past a student might have been exempted level 1 Calculus on the basis of 7th form results, we are now very reluctant indeed to to that.

This is largely because we've seen too many students fall over in their first year at university, after allowing them credits.

A B C FAIL

I was working with NZQA during the introduction of unit standards and I quit in disgust at the PC attitude regarding fails. Oh, we can't use the word 'fail', think how it might scar the poor wee darlings... Bollox! Edited by Jazzbass

Same with me first year of NCEA, dominated 5th and 6th form but 7th form I had way more fun, and of course didn't do as well. NCEA does seem to be based much more on effort than natural ability, which has both positives and negatives.

Andrew, NCEA is stuctured like that, only its Excellence, merit, achieved. Also, you don't fail, you just haven't achieved yet, cos fail is just too harsh a word.

Guest Spargo

NCEA is the win - as soon as my bro completed enough for the top grade, he took 3 weeks off school - and school was totally fine with this.

I totally disagree with this.

I am an employer of a large number of people. I recently interviewed 4 young school leavers for scholarships in Resource Planning at Uni. These 4 youngsters had gone way beyond the 80 credits and their results were swamped in "Excellence" and "Merit" passes. The standard of these 4 applicants we interviewed was so good I decided not to offer just one scholarship, but two. Their results proved to me that they were more than willing to apply themselves fully to their studies, and that I would not be wasting money on their scolarships on parties, hotted-up cars etc. The only disappointment was that I didn't have enough in the budget to offer all 4 of them scholarships.

We had a large number of applicants with results much like you are promoting as being sufficient, they didn't get beyond a first glance.

And, believe me, there are a LOT of employers out there that DO understand the NCEA system.... Anyone who wants to employ decent people who will be a credit to the organisation will have done the hard yards in getting an understanding of NCEA.

So my advice is to go out there and do the best you can, lazy people seldom succeed in life unless they get left a lot of money.

Will

I can see your point and as I said there are a few employers out there that have their head arounds things, but as Jazzbass said there are quite a few out there that get confused and therefore dont fully trust the NCEA system.

I don't condone laziness, i just felt as i was young it was easy not to do as much work as possible. As my view was once i finished school, then it was time to work hard when would be working to look after myself and to set myself up for my future career.

Mavrick

Guest Spargo

NCEA is the win - as soon as my bro completed enough for the top grade, he took 3 weeks off school - and school was totally fine with this.

And he just found out he failed graphics as the school didn't submit his work - auto fail - not even an achieved <_<

Apparantly NCEA is actually thniking about rewarding those who put in the extra effort - sure, a list of E's and M's looks good, and makes you feel good, but alot of us have it stuck in our minds.. i've got 80, cya later matey type attitude.

They are thinking of introducing a system whereby a higher mark will give you more credits. Eg say a 3 Credit asessment now, could be a 3-5 credit assessment in the future where- 3 = A, 4 = M, 5= E. I think this would be way cooler, and say 130 credits with more than x at Acheived level would give you NCEA Level x with A overall, to replace the GPA.

NCEA - I like it. I never knew school cert, but everyone older than me said NCEA sucks bums. Well I don't think so. All systems have faults, and loopholes and the shiz so if you figure out deeply how the system works, play by the rules and put in the effort then NCEA can work for you. Not you work for NCEA. Well both but that is not the point.. it works for you yea. Ah the frustration you guys know what i mean!!

I guess it's all down to the induvidual, and school policy- what level of acheivment they expect from you.Will excellences + merits really put you in a better position? - dont doubt it for a minute.

Man your lucky Em,5th form NCEA exams are sooo much better than 6th.I think I had about 70 credits before the exams last year and got a total of 124 after the exams.This year I went into exams with about 40 and can get another hundred odd from all my exams.Only need 20 to pass though which aint too bad i guess...

Still need the pre-requesites for next years subjects though.Ahh.

You guys all talking abouut NCEA reminds me of how old I must be getting! At your age, I was testing the theory of handbrake slides in my Mum's Triumph Herald. I found out verrrrry quickly that 80 kms sideways on gravel in a Herald is a little toooo fast! Got it on to 2 wheels and fortunately not its roof.

Old in body, not in mind though. Partying with Gus and Andy in Taupo this weekend. Hopefully the body can keep up, or are they really lame? :rolleyes:

Edited by StylesM5

nz320i - yip i was in wanaka. i stopped and had a gezz at your car. what did you think of new years. personally i thought it was 'all right'.

emma - i wen't to christ's college, possibly one of the strictest schools in the south island.

and as for this ncea debate. whoever said ncea rewards people who work hard over natural ability was spot on.

i got 150 credits in 5th form, 160 in 6th form, and just found out i got 104 and just got u.e. but had one of on of the best years of my life.

but honestly credits don't mean much. its how hard you work, and you don't need to work hard to get credits. it's the merits and excellences that shud be counted.

Edited by antony

You guys all talking abouut NCEA reminds me of how old I must be getting! At your age, I was testing the theory of handbrake slides in my Mum's Triumph Herald. I found out verrrrry quickly that 80 kms sideways on gravel in a Herald is a little toooo fast! Got it on to 2 wheels and fortunately not its roof.

Old in body, not in mind though. Partying with Gus and Andy in Taupo this weekend. Hopefully the body can keep up, or are they really lame? :rolleyes:

Us lame? You just watch how quick i get drunk on the medication i'm on hah.

Seriously though - WHAT WAS WRONG WITH SCHOOL C AND BURSARY? I know they are both easy and really sh*t.

Can't we just all do IB or GCSE/A Level? (decent systems).

No joke - when I came back from overseas with GCSE - it was equiv to UNIVERSITY entrance (this is when I was in 5th form). How stupid is that?!

No joke - when I came back from overseas with GCSE - it was equiv to UNIVERSITY entrance (this is when I was in 5th form). How stupid is that?!

It's probably easier to get uni entrance in NZ with NCEA than having a GCSE! I know plenty of people (myself included) who got UE in 5th form coz of mix and match level 1/2/3 subjects each year..

Hey StylesM5, you are a man that had a good grasp on your education! have you ever thought about reminiscing you past [build a herald into a drift racer]

So you'll be getting Whiplashed Eyeballs this weekend at the A1? [cars'n'babes]

I'll be there, I'll try and catch up with Gus & Andy. [hopefully we might meet each other]

Hey StylesM5, you are a man that had a good grasp on your education! have you ever thought about reminiscing you past [build a herald into a drift racer]

I thought that was your idea! do it!

So you'll be getting Whiplashed Eyeballs this weekend at the A1? [cars'n'babes]

If you set your rear view mirrors the right way whilst driving down marine parade, you don't have to worry about putting your neck out Kerry!

Edited by 318isCoupe

I thought that was your idea! do it!

Nothing beats a man with experience

Nothing beats a man with experience

Well if you reaallly wanted, I'd take one for the team and get some experience doing handbrake slides in a Triumph Herald..