Sign in to follow this  
BMW POWER

NCEA External Results 06.

NCEA Is dumb how they let us use txt. I hate txting I like talking on this amazing peice of machinery invented in 1800 god knows what called the telephone!

Its stupid how all the "bum childs" can get 180 credits and make us hard working lassies like like idiots with 143/146 credits!

NCEA Is dumb how they let us use txt. I hate txting I like talking on this amazing peice of machinery invented in 1800 god knows what called the telephone!

Its stupid how all the "bum childs" can get 180 credits and make us hard working lassies like like idiots with 143/146 credits!

I agree, you can get more credits by picking easier subjects, and look better than people like us that did the full version of subjects (and not communication english/math etc)

The final scoring system (that goes on your Record of Learning and most likely ends up on your CV) should have a percentage score showing the amount of possible credits you've achieve (143/146 in your case) and some way of showing whether you took the full academic courses or bummed through doing art and communication subjects to stack on high credits without working hard..

i pwned ncea's face, I was one of the test dummies, i had it the first year it came out, managed to pass 6th and 7th form in one year got like 340 something credits all up for 5th 6th and 7th form

i pwned ncea's face, I was one of the test dummies, i had it the first year it came out, managed to pass 6th and 7th form in one year got like 340 something credits all up for 5th 6th and 7th form

Same here, I did it a year ahead though (should have been 7th form 2005, passed in 2004 a year early and left with level 1, 2, 3 and UE.)

BMW POWER Posted,

Are you calling me a "bum Child" lol I didn't choose those subjects because they had a high amount of credits available, I chose subjects which will be best for my career. These were Geography, Mathematics, English, Science (branches of as Physics Chemistry Biology and astronomy.) Technology (Wasn't just about making stuff, we actually have to provide a portfolio of paperwork which took over twice as much time as we spent in the workshop.) and Music.

I still worked very hard and got the highest marks out of all the males in year 11 at my school (5 girls were ahead of me :P )

Edited by Mikal

ps - i took maths english and science :)

5th form I did Maths, English, General Science, History, Geography and 6th form Classics

6th form I did Maths, English, Bio, Physics, History & Geography

7th form I did Statistics, English, Bio, History, Classics and Philosophy.

So picking up all the english type credits was easy as..

haha yea i was meant to be 7th form 2005 but passed 6th and 7th in 04, haha we rule

Are you calling me a "bum Child" lol I didn't choose those subjects because they had a high amount of credits available, I chose subjects which will be best for my career. These were Geography, Mathematics, English, Science (branches of as Physics Chemistry Biology and astronomy.) Technology (Wasn't just about making stuff, we actually have to provide a portfolio of paperwork which took over twice as much time as we spent in the workshop.) and Music.

I still worked very hard and got the highest marks out of all the males in year 11 at my school (5 girls were ahead of me :P )

No Michael I am not calling you a bum child. I'm referring to the girls at my school who cruise through with "B Stream" English Maths and Science, then go for Food Tech, Art and Soft Materials technology. Thats a bum child. Whereas us girl in A1 (There are 6 classes, A1,A2,A3 B1,B2,B3) work fricken hard, wind up with many Exc's and Marits then go and get employed and the employers dont really look at Exc's they just see credits!

That's good then :P just making sure,

My school only had classes for the "smarter kids" in years 7,8 and 9. In year 10 i got put in with all the students that had only just mastered there 1s 2s 5s and 10s times tables. haha. there were still a few smart ones with me though.

Edited by Mikal

Guest Ken

That's good then :P just making sure,

My school only had classes for the "smarter kids" in years 7,8 and 9. In year 10 i got put in with all the students that had only just mastered there 1s 2s 5s and 10s times tables. haha. there were still a few smart ones with me though.

Which school?

Bream Bay college, not the best but it works for me...

What school did you go to Ken?

Guest Ken

Bream Bay college, not the best but it works for me...

What school did you go to Ken?

Bream Bay's twin - Tikipunga High School. Way before you were born!!! :lol:

Can you seriously use txt language in exams?

Wtf is the point in that? University markers will just crack up laughing - I've handed in pretty average essays (and I'm an awesome essay writer) with a couple of spelling mistakes only to have papers returned that have written on them

"D, SURELY YOU ARE JOKING?! - DON'T WASTE MY TIME"

My Dad went to tikipunga but that was probably before you were born haha.

Tikipunga and Bream Bay were built from the same design so have almost identical buildings right?

Guest Ken

My Dad went to tikipunga but that was probably before you were born haha.

Tikipunga and Bream Bay were built from the same design so have almost identical buildings right?

True - the 2 schools used to be identical but both have gone their own way now.

As for your dad - who is he?

Guest Ken

Can you seriously use txt language in exams?

Wtf is the point in that? University markers will just crack up laughing - I've handed in pretty average essays (and I'm an awesome essay writer) with a couple of spelling mistakes only to have papers returned that have written on them

"D, SURELY YOU ARE JOKING?! - DON'T WASTE MY TIME"

There was a big stink about the use of txt language, even made TV news, met with considerable opposition and I suspect will be legislated out thank goodness!

No employer will ever want to know how you did in your exams - only "achieving" counts. It is more important to set the standard high for your own benefit so its natural later on.

You don't usually see anyone who scraped through on "achieved" get Honours or Masters at uni (odd exception to the rule of course). That's where it does count as those letters DO follow you everywhere.

Obviously if you chose a career path that does not involve uni - and I recommend you look around as there are some great careers that don't - then the letters mean diddly squat.

Also, once you have been in the workforce awhile, it is your track record and CPD (Continuing Professional Development) that matters. My industry tracks CPD point which I register online whenever I earn them. I can then use them towards things like accreditation etc, or as a bargaining tool at pay review time. My A bursary is about as useful as a condom made from fishing net. However, it did mean I didn't have to do the basic English and Math papers at uni, and over-achieving at uni put me on a higher pay rate when I started work and set me up with the right work ethic.

This is where NCEA falls over as it is not competitive enough to encourage over-achieving. I view it as a soft system that rewards mediocrity.

Bravomikewhiskey BSurv (Hons) ANZIS

There was a big stink about the use of txt language, even made TV news, met with considerable opposition and I suspect will be legislated out thank goodness!

But then what about these poor kids who've done two years of exams in text language and now have to go through re-education to use proper english in their exams!

Ken- My dad is Dean Humphries, I'm not to sure what year or how long he was at Tikipunga for as he was born in England.

Guest Ken

But then what about these poor kids who've done two years of exams in text language and now have to go through re-education to use proper english in their exams!

Tough!

Guest Ken

Ken- My dad is Dean Humphries, I'm not to sure what year or how long he was at Tikipunga for as he was born in England.

Hmmm - vaguely recall that name. I was there 1974 to 1978 (no smart-arse comments anyone), if that helps.

What part of town are you in? I think I've seen your ride around town.

Guest Ken

No employer will ever want to know how you did in your exams - only "achieving" counts. It is more important to set the standard high for your own benefit so its natural later on.

You don't usually see anyone who scraped through on "achieved" get Honours or Masters at uni (odd exception to the rule of course). That's where it does count as those letters DO follow you everywhere.

Obviously if you chose a career path that does not involve uni - and I recommend you look around as there are some great careers that don't - then the letters mean diddly squat.

Also, once you have been in the workforce awhile, it is your track record and CPD (Continuing Professional Development) that matters. My industry tracks CPD point which I register online whenever I earn them. I can then use them towards things like accreditation etc, or as a bargaining tool at pay review time. My A bursary is about as useful as a condom made from fishing net. However, it did mean I didn't have to do the basic English and Math papers at uni, and over-achieving at uni put me on a higher pay rate when I started work and set me up with the right work ethic.

This is where NCEA falls over as it is not competitive enough to encourage over-achieving. I view it as a soft system that rewards mediocrity.

Bravomikewhiskey BSurv (Hons) ANZIS

Listen to this guy!!!! NCEA basically produces a "can't be allowed to fail" system. Striving to be the best and doing your best counts for a lot. There are only a few exceptions where "taking the easy road" will work for you. NCEA like all systems is continuously under review and believe me, the current system has many pitfalls, particularly in terms of relativety of worth for moving into tertiary education. If you really want a lecture take on my wife - she's an Acedemic Registrar at a tertiary institute.

Ken posted:

Hmmm - vaguely recall that name. I was there 1974 to 1978 (no smart-arse comments anyone), if that helps.

What part of town are you in? I think I've seen your ride around town.

I live in Maungatapere, moved from Waipu in march 06, My mate has a 318i exactly like mine (his is the one on the left in my sig) except he doesn't have a bimmersport sticker and he has a massive big exhaust tip on his. My car is always parked on the outside of the Warehouse car park on Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday.

ps. Bit of a newb Q how do you work the quote thing properly?