Sign in to follow this  
BMW POWER

NCEA External Results 06.

Yeh NCEA is kinda dumb.In English exams (6th form) spelling does not matter,nor does punctuation.This was in English Literature aswell which was supposidly the hardest one.I handed in a creative writing internal and the teacher gave it back to me with almost 3/4 of the paper underlined...I got to re submit and got as long as I needed to pretty much go through a dictionary and change all the spelling mistakes and spend as long as I needed and as many "go's" as I needed to correct the punctuation.

Read my post and there'll be about 40 mistakes haha.

Howd you guys go this year?

Overall slightly dissapointed with Maths and German but the rest is ok.

Level 2 acheived with Merit (poos!)

Economics, E E E E E M

English E E E E E M M N

Maths M M M M M A A A N

German M M M A A N

Physics M A N SNA SNA SNA

My other half did really well ...

I never did any of that, left school at 15 now im working 30hrs a week earning 45k/year :D

Edited by joshnz

Didn't do too bad, passed level one with merit

accounting: M,M,M,E,E

maths: A,A,A,A,M,M

science: N,N,N,N,A haha

english: N,A,A,M,M

God, I miss those NCEA days, PWNed Level1 totally...but then didnt do anymore NCEAs...

Good luck for all your results, especially NCEA Level3 peeps...

I never did any of that, left school at 15 now im working 30hrs a week earning 45k/year :D

so impressive

Hah Stig don't blame you with Science. Its sh*t, notice my Physics results? Actually more a reflection of teacher but hey.. lets not go there.

Howd you go James? You just finito'd Kristin so I'm sure you got your results? O no wait.... do I hear Cambridge/IB? I would kill to have Cambridge at Otago Girls.

What ever happened to School C, 6th form cert and bursary? At least you got a proper grade, that actually meant something.

Education has gone to hell in a handbasket (not that any of you guys doing NCEA can do anything about it, but I do feel sorry for you).

I guess though it gives underachievers a sense of achievement, as it seems impossible to "fail".

Cheers

Grant

Note necessarily you can't understand it Grant...

Excellence = 90-100%

Merit = 70-80%

Acheived / Pass = 50-60%

N = Fail

Although I must agree with you the actual NCEA is a pile of sh*t.... you can know nothing and still pass. Like a teacher quoted "The ones who don't work... acheive. The ones who work hard acheive."

Hah Stig don't blame you with Science. Its sh*t, notice my Physics results? Actually more a reflection of teacher but hey.. lets not go there.

Howd you go James? You just finito'd Kristin so I'm sure you got your results? O no wait.... do I hear Cambridge/IB? I would kill to have Cambridge at Otago Girls.

I represent IB haha, too good for NCEA...got into City Planning at University of Auckland...which meant I did really well haha, I believe it was pure luck and just by the fact that IB is higher valued than NCEA, no offence NCEA but the heat between IB vs NCEA has always existed, I can ensure you that I have nothing against NCEA students, in fact would have wanted to do Cambridge or NCEA, as IB was too much of a toad on life, totally drained out my spare time.

IB got their results on the 6th nearly two weeks earlier, by the time NCEA got their results, I got confirmation from most of my universities.

Edited by international

What ever happened to School C, 6th form cert and bursary? At least you got a proper grade, that actually meant something.

Education has gone to hell in a handbasket (not that any of you guys doing NCEA can do anything about it, but I do feel sorry for you).

I guess though it gives underachievers a sense of achievement, as it seems impossible to "fail".

Cheers

Grant

School C was a great system but the only let down is the fact that students can screw all year and just do well at the end of year exams to gain the specific grades of the year where as NCEA requires student commitment for the whole year.

There is a specific group of New Zealanders who never did well at school, thus NCEA was made easier to pass with Achieved, however, Merit and Excellence are extremely hard to achieve. As a result, this makes the NCEA a system that does not fully show the true potential of each student, whilst you have many, in fact most of the students passing without many passing in the high grades, this results in the degrading of the system itself which makes NCEA look bad compared to other systems such as Cambridge / IB.

Cambridge in my opinion is probly the best education system, being well focused into school subjects still gives the student the flexiblity of the subjects that they choose. Whilst there is a external exam every year.

IB on the other hand has a lot more other extra work such as extended essay which is a massive essay that counts towards the final IB grade and 150 hours of community service required to pass IB. Other draw backs of IB is that final external exams are only held at the very end of the program which means if you screw IB final exam, you are screwed, regardless of how well you did in the internal tests, unlike NCEA which you can sit it again next year, IB requires you to either become a high school drop out of do the whole IB program again.

So glad that shits over, (a couple of years ago of course), i think i passed back then, by the skin of my teeth though haha.

Someone said you can use txt language in English exams...wtf. My coll (Wellington college) says you cant cause after x amount of spelling mistakes (txt language counts as a spelling mistake) you autofail the English paper concerned... :Z

And that person from Otago with the million E's whos all QQ cause she failed one paper...ROfl

I did ok, got 120creds same as last year. Did anyone else find the geography paper impossible to finish in time? $ papers in 3 hours..siff..they take at least an hour each!

I got all my UE and passed all 3 levels with a good balance of A's, M's and a few E's, but that was already a year ago, time flies, also with the punctuation, spelling comment, thats not right? Who was teaching your classes? If I spelt poorly it affected my marks,

On a totally different note, I think I saw you today international, but now I cant remember where, west auckland same ways, was that you?

My 2c.

Is that good???

Yeah - was thinking that.....

LOL, so many high class haters here, its quite funny. Its only the internet remember guys!

Don't get me wrong, i wasn't trying to impress, just stating a fact.

/back on topic

International - I think you put it pretty well. I agree, the Cambridge system seems (from my reading on this) to be the best all round system.

I just stuggle to understand the NCEA system "rewarding" (I know this is probably not the best word) underachievers with an Achievement when quite frankly they have not achieved. I guess this is just a sign of the world we live in today. Unfortunately this does not work in the real world once you are in the cold hard working environment.

Well done to those anyway who got M's and E's, I'm glad that they take some work to get, and you can therefore feel proud.

Cheers

Grant

Having seen directly how education affects those coming overseas, all those with NCEA who think you can get by regardless of how much work you put in are seriously f**ked.

The grades are not so important, its the work ethic that you get, and NCEA encourages bugger all of it.

The biggest lesson I have learnt is that there really is no replacement for hard work...the sooner that is learnt the better

School grades are worth dick in the real world.

School grades are worth dick in the real world.

It's so true....then again i'd be inclined to say the same about univeristy ha.