Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

Windows Vista - Anyone got it?

Went out and grabbed an OEM copy of Business edition (all that was handy + i don't need the media centre shizzle).

Running on Dell Inspiron 9300 - 2 GHz Centrino, 1 GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce Go 6800

So much faster than XP - badass.

Install was easy as Windows always has been.

Yeah using Vista Enterprise as my work desktop for testing purposes right now. It is awesome and definaetly a big step up from Windows XP and I dont want to go back.

Still alot of problems to be worked out so 6-12 months before I would recommend using it as a primary Operating System. And for anyone who does any Active directory admin stuff be warned that the admin tools dont function 100% yet. Not all NT software functions and hardware drivers have away to catch up.

If your buying a new PC i would get Vista installed tho.

280 for an OEM version.

Have found NUMEROUS bugs with IE 7 that didn't happen in XP. IT takes days to open bimmersport.

MAC OS 10.4.8 FTW! The new one coming out - Panther, it wil rock

Edited by sakdbma

Got hook-ups if anyone wants to buy them. 250-ish for business 32 bit, 350-ish for ultimate 32-bit. 64 bit cost extra 20 bucks.

Pimp seriously -

The networking is MUCH more advanced. Work DHCP server is doing pretty cool things like giving it a FQDN even on a non domain network. Nice.

And seriously - how badass is this snippet tool?

post-1521-1170281190_thumb.jpg

Got hook-ups if anyone wants to buy them. 250-ish for business 32 bit, 350-ish for ultimate 32-bit. 64 bit cost extra 20 bucks.

PM'd :)

OK

Observations

Stock Vista Intel ® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG WLAN drivers SUCK - don't work properly. Is a revised version on Intels Website.

Stock Chipset 915G/M drivers suck.

Stock Nvidia drivers SUCK.

wow it looks naiice may have to try get it some how and check it out.. as im doing a full upgrade on my desktop,

im suprised it runs nice on 1gb mem, i was told microsoft recommend 2gb which seems overkill i think, you can run xp on 128!!

Been running ultimate since December when the final release came out on the MSDN Subscriber website - Very smooth, no issues at all. running it on my laptop which has a Vista sticker on it already.

will upgrade my work laptop tomorrow with Business version. Might install on another partition first before i do. Just to be sure it will place nice with my apps.

My friend bought a laptop from Harvery Norman yesterday after looking at their brochure, against my judgement, ended up being not quite what the brochure actually said in a worse sense. Worse still, said it came with Vista but actually came with XP, and worse still, HDD was split into 3 partitions all running FAT32...arghh - spent last night reformatting and installing new shizzle.

I'm still using Windows 98

I guess I'm just not the sort of person who feels the need to get every new thing which comes out, as soon as it comes out. XP does all I need for the present. Truth be told, DOS 3.11 did all I need back then...

I guess I'm just not the sort of person who feels the need to get every new thing which comes out, as soon as it comes out. XP does all I need for the present. Truth be told, DOS 3.11 did all I need back then...

I am - then decide i liked the old thing better so buy that back - then want another new one and process repeats.

FYI - All popular PC video editing packages are working ok.

AVID HD (& sd versions)

Prem Pro 2

After Effects 7

3dmax/Maya both OK also.

Soundwise protools is working OK also.

You would expect that after 6 years of development it would be compatible with software running on XP and be faster and more stable. I am still going to wait till the MSDN version with the service pack becomes avaialble before I switch.

i guess i should go buy a copy, i mean xp i never purchased and got a many few years of few OS out of it : )

Dredging up and old thread but SP1 is coming out in March...this thread is over a year old but who's swapped over?

Does vista still kill like 20 fps in games? I remember when it first came out no one wanted it because of the fps loss and the bad drivers for soundcards etc. I'm still with xp and cant see myself changing anytime soon - all that visual sh*t just slows everything down.