Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

318is Turbo Gearbox - shitted

The Getrag 240 (Sport) in my turbo is dead.

Anyone have any advice on how to take one apart - it feels like some bearings have collapsed and there is a box full of neutrals. It makes a crunching noise when i turn the input shaft my hand.

Also - anybody have a Getrag 240 for sale.

Thanking you.

Questions for thought.

- The 318iS seems to have close gear ratios (specifically a very close 3rd, 4th, 5th). Do all M4x 318s have this? Just trying to gauge whether to fix the gearbox.

- The car still has the stock dual-mass flywheel. I am now wondering if I should use the M20 flywheel. Which is better [for a turbo car]? - dual or single mass. (The m20 flywheel would also give me more clutch options).

- What would you strengthen in a gearbox if doing a rebuild?

Find a 260 box for the M4x, they're bigger but more robust

Questions for thought.

- The 318iS seems to have close gear ratios (specifically a very close 3rd, 4th, 5th). Do all M4x 318s have this? Just trying to gauge whether to fix the gearbox.

- The car still has the stock dual-mass flywheel. I am now wondering if I should use the M20 flywheel. Which is better [for a turbo car]? - dual or single mass. (The m20 flywheel would also give me more clutch options).

- What would you strengthen in a gearbox if doing a rebuild?

Hi Andrew,

Im still figuring my around these gearboxes and i am sure someone more knowledglable will put me right if i have this wrong, However here goes: the 2 Getrag boxes that i know of 240 and 260 have identical 3rd/4th and 5th gear ratio's however 1st and 2nd are slightly different. I believe the 316/318 and some 320's use the Getrag 240. I assume the Getrag 260 was used on 325 etc. I run a 320 and was going to use the Getrag 260 on my conversion as i assumed it was a stronger box being for a 325, however at the time i could not find one so had to use a 240. The ratio's on the Getrag 260 would give slightly better acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear. I guess a ZF Gertrag would be the best option which would also mean top speed would be achieved in 5th Gaer as it has a direct 1:1 Ratio in 5th, whereas the 240 and 260 box both have 5th gear as an overdrive.

Dont know if this helps, but maybe a little more info will assist in whatever decision you make.

Regards

Mark

The Getrag 240 (Sport) in my turbo is dead.

Anyone have any advice on how to take one apart - it feels like some bearings have collapsed and there is a box full of neutrals. It makes a crunching noise when i turn the input shaft my hand.

Also - anybody have a Getrag 240 for sale.

Thanking you.

hi , andrew i can get you box from wrecker friend .

also you could use box from m50 320i 325i etc , i think they are stronger .

even a box from older e30 will bolt up . m40 or m20

Guest Spargo

First things first:

It's a getrag 240/5

Ratios:

1st: 3.73

2nd: 2.02

3rd: 1.32

4th: 1.00

5th: 0.81

Reverse: 3.45

Final Drive: 4.1 (unsure of yours, drew)

How to mount a 325i Flywheel on an M42:

Needed:

325i flywheel

325i clutch

325i pressure plate

325i drive pinion for the starter motor

a '78-'83 323 throw out bearing

Replace all the 318iS parts with these and it all bolts together

OT: Dunno if you knew drew, but the 318iS comes with adj cam sprockets from factory, pull your valve cover off to see, they can be adj up to +6/-6 degrees, both intake and exhaust. A hot N/A setup is +5adv on the intake and to leave the exhaust alone.

How does the M50 box bolt up?

(E30 tech suggested this also - I was never aware it bolted to the M4x block)

Sam - are you sure the iS didn't get closer ratios - mine deff feels like close top 3 ratios.

I want to retain its quite tall gearing - 2nd gear is nice 120 kph @ 7300 rpm.

Any suggestions on what is wrong with the box also? I would be happy fixing it if it was viable.

OK - Does a 318is box from an E36 work for me? (As in can i keep same driveshaft, clutch etc etc)

Guest Spargo

Well, those the the ratios that THE 318iS site told me, so i'm guessing they're correct (brandon Purcell's site)

Some light reading:

The Getrag 245/4 overdrive five speed from the 1980-1982 320i is the most popular transmission used when installing a five speed into a 2002. The gear ratios are:

Getrag 245/4, '80-'82 320i overdrive 5-speed

1st: 3.68

2nd: 2.00

3rd: 1.33

4th: 1.00

5th: 0.81

The Getrag 245/10 close ratio 5 speed can be found on some european 320's. Nowadays, this is usually the close ratio gearbox of choice for conversions.

Getrag 245/10, close-ratio 5-speed found on some european 320's:

1st: 3.764

2nd: 2.325

3rd: 1.612

4th: 1.229

5th: 1.00

This is probably the better of the two close ratio transmissions to use, as it is of the newer, stronger 242/245 series design. It uses the stronger Borg-Warner style synchromesh. Plus, parts for this transmission will very likely be easier and cheaper to get in the future. The catch is finding one in the first place. This transmission is very much like the 245/4 OD trans, except that it is 3.125 inches longer than the 242 4-speed, not 3.5625in.

Not listed here is the Getrag 240 overdrive 5 speed found on the '83 320i and '84-'85 318i, as it is almost identical, ratio-wise to the 245/4. It is also of a lighter, weaker design than the 245/4. It is therefore not a good choice when mated to a modified performance engine. Installing one in a 2002 is also slightly more of a challenge, due to it's extra width and lack of an available 4 bolt output flange.

It is also noteworthy to point out that the newer E36 318is gearbox is not a close-ratio unit. The first 4 gears are shortened such that 5th can be made direct and push through a relatively high-geared final drive, simulating a wide ratio overdrive 5-speed pushing a regular final drive. This improves overall efficiency in 5th gear by reducing frictional and gearing losses.

Ive taken a couple of BMW gearboxes apart and its a bloody mission. If you do end up taking it apart i can give you some instructions