Sign in to follow this  
Palazzo

Car jack

After hitting a rock on Sunday (see Wanted to buy), I decided to jack the car up and check for damage. Then I discovered that I can't actually get the jack (standard) under the car as it's lowered.

So the question is, what are other owners of lowered E30's using for a jack? I normally use the car for longish trips, so don't fancy being stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Cheers.

Woah, your car must be pretty damn low as I can get mine under fairly easy, and i'm riding pretty low. You got the single sided winder type one?

Edited by ipwnyou

haha I have to actually lift my car as i slide my trolley jack under. Try coming in from the front on a diaganal past the sump and onto the front subframe that way you can get the whole thing up in one go. Also for the rear slide under the diff housing and jack there. I know you kinda got get on the ground and get dirty but it's what ya gotta do when you choose to lower your car

Goto repco and buy a 'normal' jack, thats what i had to do, cant fit my standy one under. Let alone a trolley jack :S

You mean "normal" scissor jack? I have the standard side wind thing and it's a no go. Carrying a trolley jack around seems like a bit too much hard work, not to mention filling the boot. Sounds like Repco it is.

You mean "normal" scissor jack? I have the standard side wind thing and it's a no go. Carrying a trolley jack around seems like a bit too much hard work, not to mention filling the boot. Sounds like Repco it is.

dude my trolley jack sits nice and tight in that deep cavity in the right of the boot . Just put it down in there then jack it a bit to make a tight

post-746-1172529403_thumb.jpg

Join the AA. Leave it to them.

Mounting air-jacks would be a cool option though.

I to thought this cain but then I guess you'd need to carry a compressor & tank onboard for them . The race cars just have a air line pluged into them in the pits for their air jacks

Edited by Gary

I just wind my jack right down, lay it on its side and then turn it back up making sure the slot on the jack lines up with the rib on the sills. Then wiggle it till it fits in place and is up right. simple, and my car is very low to

Dirve up on a block of 2x4 before you put the jack under.

I modded the standard jack to fit under my vert. Cut the lifting point down and welded it up. Easy mod.

weeehaaaa... my old profile works again on the new forum.

Edited by topless

Looking at my jack i think its been modded to :o i brought it from BNT

was waiting for someone to point out this obvious solution. it's not rocket science aye graham

was waiting for someone to point out this obvious solution. it's not rocket science aye graham

yeah but that would just too easy { sacasm } haha Ollie you need visage to do that <_<

what if your out in the country and dont have the trusty 2x4 handy? I think the jack mod is best

Strangely, I don't drive around with a piece of 4x2 in the boot on the off chance I need to use the jack. Plus, I only discovered the existing one won't work on Sunday and there was no wood handy, (luckily there was a garage lip to drive on, but I can't count on those either), so a decent solution is needed.

Scissor jack or Garys trolley if I can find one that small.

Cheers.

Guest Spargo

yeah but that would just too easy { sacasm } haha Ollie you need visage to do that <_<

Hahaha :lol:

2x4 fits perfectly under the boot carpet on top of the spare. only need 2 small squareish blocks. Cheaper than a new jack, but if you want a jack solution, the a small scissor or bottle jack for the win.

Try a Bushranger Exhaust- Jack. Basically a blow up tub that starts out flat but blows up when contected to the exhaust. Bought it when car wheel fell thru rotten boards on a car pit. Have since used it on trailers, 4x4 trips etc. Great investment that folds up into a special bag.

http://www.4wdworld.com.au/products/bushrang/exhaust.htm

Try a Bushranger Exhaust- Jack. Basically a blow up tub that starts out flat but blows up when contected to the exhaust. Bought it when car wheel fell thru rotten boards on a car pit. Have since used it on trailers, 4x4 trips etc. Great investment that folds up into a special bag.

http://www.4wdworld.com.au/products/bushrang/exhaust.htm

Cheers, maybe that's better than the wood, as I've had a think and with a flat tyre, a piece of 4x2 ain't gonna cut it. The trouble I had Sunday was with properly inflated tyres.

awesome...i can imagine that thing getting outta control so easily