Sign in to follow this  
allan

WHY SO EXPENSIVE

hi had the misfortune to put the front cup holder out of commission on my e39. took it out and had a fiddle put no go. what a piece of crap it has to be the worsed designed, flimsy bit of shittt i have ever seen. getting side tracked here. At the b.....m....w... dealer and was told $164.00 please, it stayed their, tried bmwarhouse Ham and got $162.00 plus frieght or their about.Went on the net and low and be hold got the genuine part for US$39.95 plus $7.50 frieght. that in NZ dollars is around $67.80 add 12.5% gst $8.47 and customs ( not sure what it will be ) that come's in at around $76 to $80.00. Unless i have missed something how can they(bmw dealer) sleep straight in bed at night charging those prices 100% markup. Is this common with all things bmw. :wacko:

common with all parts yes. e30 parts are expensive!! i mean like diffs, and bigger parts, but most small bits are o.k.

your parts just happens to be on a new bmw and and fiddly part!

off subject but wots wrong with it, post some pics

had a toyota 1 coupla years back and fixed it with some resin, filled up the underside and it added abit more weight too it, better than a new 1 - specially at a150 big 1's!!!

No GST or customs on items under $400, so what you pay plus shipping is your cost.

how can they(bmw dealer) sleep straight in bed at night charging those prices 100% markup

this is the reason you will find them referred to as the $tealer.. :angry:

Jerrys are keen doing a bimmersport discount .... ill follow it up soon

No argument about the cup holder design - total rubbish.

The ones in the back of my car were broken, so I just replaced it with the small package tray they sell as a direct replacement. I later fixed the cup holder with some epoxy and a paperclip, but couldn't be arsed replacing it. Then. last week as I was clearing the garage out for packing, I tossed it in the skip bin.

Not one of BMW's triumphs!

Went on the net and low and be hold got the genuine part for <peanuts>

I've had the same experience. Sometimes I think BMW NZ buy their parts at retail price from other BMW dealers, then add 100% markup!

Here's an idea - we could import at retail price from overseas, and sell at 50% markup, and be cheaper than BMW NZ!

Jochen

I have to say the cup holder in E39 sucks big time, utterly useless. I once bought a milk shake and place in the front cup holder and the 1st right turn it went flying across to the passenger seat and landed on the floor *&%&^!%&@#$! Luckily the seats are leather.

Back to topic. Wouldn't it be cheaper to get one from some wrecker?

Come on guys... Its NZ!!! Aotearipoff. We're such a small market here compared to the rest of the world. Let's not get into the old supply/demand blah blah blah talk. We'll always get shafted down this way. Man I hated Micro/Macro Economics at uni.

example: my new MBP costs me $4,200 inc 3 year warranty from Hong Kong, whereas same bit of kit inc 3 year warranty will cost me $5,500 here in NZ! Thanks APL.

Ha! Try a catalytic converter for a Lexus. $3500 + GST + fitting. Or $207 + freight from the US.

Guest Denny Crane

Ha! Try a catalytic converter for a Lexus. $3500 + GST + fitting. Or $207 + freight from the US.

I'm pretty sure Toyota NZ would stock the same part :lol:

Hilarious. Which Corolla has a V8 in it?

front thrust arm for BMW E34 535 approx 250,same part for toyota echo 750 so we are not the only ones!

In '95 I had a new Ford Telstar Radisich Motorsport.

Mu son broke a window switch. New part $875 from Ford!!

Its a smegging Ford!!!

I bought one from the wreckers for $125

Rear brake pads for a falcon ute $180 stealer , $40 parts shop (forget the name).

Katalyst it is bent & twisted on one of the flexible arms.A small locator pin has sheared off this guides the arm as it locks in the close positon.this gets the whole thing jammed up solid.

Silverfox thanks for the customs tip on under $400. what is it for over that figure do you know?.

Will thats nice.

hybrid thanks more info please.

Skt174 Please tell me who in NZ has wrecked a e39.

Denny Crane do they really have the same design, oh poor buggers, what make and model of toy?

Yes i understand NZ is only a small market but are we still not entitled to a far crack of the wipe in regard to pricing no matter what the item may be. we do it with our dairy products on the world scene. the mass influx of imported cars saw that market sharpen its prices why not the spare parts area also.

Only ever been stung once, had to pay GST and duty, I think it was around 15%. I've imported a lot of stuff over the $400 limit and most of the time it just comes straight thru. Luck of the draw I guess.

haha re the lexus, um why didn't you just not bother with the catalactic converter ?

haha re the lexus, um why didn't you just not bother with the catalactic converter ?

Love to get rid of it, but that communist in Wellington is about to introduce emissions testing, remember?

Soarer? Doesn't make any difference, it's still a Lexus part and still a 1800% mark up on US retail.

Any other bright ideas genius?

Clear lights for my e36: $1,189.80 inc. GST... Although they said they could do a 25% discount at trade price for $892.35... seems a little silly for lights..

Funny that NZ has cheap Euro Cars then alot of other contries yet the parts sting us. Just spent $1700 on engine parts that could all fit into an E30 glovebox! Would have been $2150 if I hadnt have worn my short shorts, bimmersport T and a cheesy smile. Theres a tip for you.