*Glenn*

E36 M50/M52 Manual conversion

Which gear knob are you getting Glenn?

Leather with the Motorsport (M///) 5 speed button emblem

Leather with the Motorsport (M///) 5 speed button emblem

what,not illuminated??

like this one here? off an e46?

Thats the one on the left

Stripped the car this afternoon. Diff out, interior strip, pedal box, motor & gearbox out. Onward we go. The only thing that will hold us up is the UUC flywheel & M5 clutch plate, which I hope will get here next week... Lots of photos to come. The flash has been working all day :D

BTW: 3 hrs.... Cooling system, exhaust system, diff, complete engine and g/box wiring harness, engine and gearbox out and interior strip as per photos (to follow) by myself and one apprentice. I estimate the conversion will loose about 50kg in total vehicle weight...pity I didnt weigh it before I did this

Note: Total strip time including what I did early this morning 7hrs..... 4 for me, 3hrs for an apprentice

Edited by *Glenn*

The bell housing clearances are close going with the 240mm pressure plate and clutch plate, as apposed to the standard 219mm system. I'll also give the wiring mods that need to done for the starter and reverse lights and the engine loom with photos.

Good work Glenn, you don’t muck around!

Good work Glenn, you don’t muck around!

I have been accused of doing that though :rolleyes: and thanks.. will get on with it and hope that someone else will benefit from this thread... any questions or specific interest to certain things we are doing?? please ask and I'll provide while we are doing this :D

Do you have a pic of the pedal hanger bracket, higher up then the brake pedal pic??

I have the pedal bracket from Ray which is stripped now. Im going to fit the pedals straight onto the bracket in my car as the bracket is the same for manuals & autos. Can do a pic when I'm finished if thats what you need.

What exactly were you wanting to know ??

Would kinda like to know if you can use the auto brake pedal and the clutch pedal in the bracket.

I sort of like the big brake pedal.

Don't think you'd have enough room for the clutch!

Would kinda like to know if you can use the auto brake pedal and the clutch pedal in the bracket.

I dont think so.. Its too wide... but I will check for you and let yo know

Definitly(sp) not. The two brake pedals are different pieces and there is no way theres enough room.

Glenn, just curious. ti's the bastard child of e36/30 parents :P

Do you have to take the whole engine out for this conversion?

Really nice photos.

Edited by Penny

Do you have to take the whole engine out for this conversion?

Really nice photos.

No.. I'm just doing it that way to make it easier to do...especially the the clutch hydraulic lines. Doing it this way, your not struggling with anything... but you need all the right gear...like we have at work. I like to work standing, not crouching, bending over or laying on my back.

Edited by *Glenn*

Put my 3 pedals in this morning, heater matrix out (its got a small leak) picked up my 3.15:1 diff thanks to Brent. Stripped the crownwheel and pinion out of the diff (its a good one Brent). LSD comes Monday or Tuesday (thanks to Dave).... more to come & more photos

This mornings work... well some of it. 1st picture shows the 3.15:1 crownwheel & pinion I stripped out of an E28 diff. This is going into my medium case diff with the LSD. 2nd Fitted the clutch fork and release bearing. 3rd Fitted new selector shaft seal. Resealed the detent spring housing. Removed output flange and replaced the seal. Glad I did this..no retainer on the nut, nut was loose and there was no sealant on the shaft splines.. someone else had been there before and fitted a new seal and didnt do it all properly. 4th Made up wiring loom for reverse light switch.

5th... the most important one... I now have 3 pedals

post-1129-1236375847_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1236375866_thumb.jpg

post-1129-1236375876_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1236375886_thumb.jpg

post-1129-1236375896_thumb.jpg

Edited by *Glenn*