Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Terrible Fuel Economy :S

ok some basics.. but could affect gas milage:

tyre pressure, wheel alignments, fuel filter, leads, spark plugs dirty trans oil, injectors, leaks, o2, MAF, dirty diff oil etc...

is your car running lean or rich?? exhaust smells like gas??

oh and are you carrying a dead hippo carcas in your boot? LOL

Edited by Docile

Had an E30 320 in this afternoon... similar problem.. broken fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose... it was broken because the rubber had perished due to the fact the diaphram in the regulator was gone & fuel was going straight into the manifold through the vacuum hose which eventually fell off. This also caused fuel enrichment, no vacuum 3 bar pressure.. vacuum 2.5 bar. Pay to check that. The idle was irregular as well... idled fine.. then up to 1,500 Rpm.. drop.. then back up again... diagnosis .. faulty TPI switch. This poor lady paid some old westy (no offence Westy) alot of money to tell her there was nothing wrong with her car.

ok some basics.. but could affect gas milage:

tyre pressure, wheel alignments, fuel filter, leads, spark plugs dirty trans oil, injectors, leaks, o2, MAF, dirty diff oil etc...

is your car running lean or rich?? exhaust smells like gas??

oh and are you carrying a dead hippo carcas in your boot? LOL

Crap... not with the figures he's giving us

Had an E30 320 in this afternoon... similar problem.. broken fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose... it was broken because the rubber had perished due to the fact the diaphram in the regulator was gone & fuel was going straight into the manifold through the vacuum hose which eventually fell off. This also caused fuel enrichment, no vacuum 3 bar pressure.. vacuum 2.5 bar. Pay to check that. The idle was irregular as well... idled fine.. then up to 1,500 Rpm.. drop.. then back up again... diagnosis .. faulty TPI switch. This poor lady paid some old westy (no offence Westy) alot of money to tell her there was nothing wrong with her car.

Hey!

I saw that.

You saw what Tony ??

Memory fail. :o

Seriously, My m20b20 used to be the same as this.. It was slow and sluggish, blew smoke up high in the rev's, spat unburnt fuel when idling. The fix, threw that motor.

And how does that help the OP John... buy a new motor ?... get real boy :D

I don't know what the OP's complaining about.

I'm lucky to make the next gas station in the Falcoon.

Sure there are no fuel leaks? One mate doubled his fuel mileage when he found a leak halfway up the fuel tank (mean't he wasn't running out). His Mk2 Cortina 1600 was using a similar amount of juice to a small block Chevy powered Torana...

I remember talking to a guy, he didn't know he had a fuel leak but noticed it one day when his car was running under the car, it was dripping slowly but evaporating as it hit the ground. So you pretty much would never notice.

Maybe run the car and have a look around the rear fuel lines, lift the rear seat check under the inspection cover for the fuel pump, follow the lines under the passenger side of the car to where they go rubber again into the engine bay.

Seriously, My m20b20 used to be the same as this.. It was slow and sluggish, blew smoke up high in the rev's, spat unburnt fuel when idling. The fix, threw that motor.

Reading some of your posts sir, actually lead me to believe that you have "thrown" quite a few motors, without actually achieving a result. It seems everything either fails or leads to more drama and then ends up in the bin , trade me or the for sale threads on here. I have trouble understanding this when you are offering advise to people when I can see you have a little knowledge in some areas, but you actually fail in quite a few areas as well. I'm sure as time progresses you will achieve your goal.

Meh, no point spending too much on a M20B20 when you can get a B25 for the same amount it was going to fix.

Reading some of your posts sir, actually lead me to believe that you have "thrown" quite a few motors, without actually achieving a result. It seems everything either fails or leads to more drama and then ends up in the bin , trade me or the for sale threads on here. I have trouble understanding this when you are offering advise to people when I can see you have a little knowledge in some areas, but you actually fail in quite a few areas as well. I'm sure as time progresses you will achieve your goal.

Lol. Actually I didn't literally bin the b20. Haven't binned anything tbh. Binned my turbo 2.7 "Project" yes, that's a different story.

Have a problem PM. Otherwise stick OT buddy.

Heres some Fiction from the BMW Owners User manual, although they do claim that the 320i uses more than 325i. Sorry for the big files, trying to make them readable. not sure if I was sucessful either

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

a faulty temperature sensor(the one that signals the ecu will result in a rich mixture.)

Good point. The Blue sensor is the engine temp sensor btw.

Faulty one could be telling the ECU the engine is cold and it's still dumping in extra fuel...

Another one is no thermostat, That gives you horrible mileage as the engine has no time to warmup.

Good point. The Blue sensor is the engine temp sensor btw.

Faulty one could be telling the ECU the engine is cold and it's still dumping in extra fuel...

Another one is no thermostat, That gives you horrible mileage as the engine has no time to warmup.

Could please expain how to check this falt ?

how about you temp gauge does it sit on or just above the blue or will it get up to 1/4 or 1/2??