Sign in to follow this  
kingkarl

NZV8 Shakeup

Booya

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorsport/47...aunch-next-year

A V8 war is breaking out in New Zealand with the launch of a new series supported by driver Greg Murphy.

Called V8SuperTourers, the new series will field cars that are much faster and more sophisticated than the NZ V8s that have been New Zealand's premier championship category for many years.

They will run seven-litre engines putting out about 550hp and will be purpose-built racing cars rather than modified road cars. And they could widen the field beyond the Holden Commodores and Ford Falcons to include cars such as the Toyota Camry.

Murphy, who is racing V8 Supercars in Australia with the Kelly team this year, said yesterday he wanted to be involved in the new Kiwi series as either a driver or team owner.

"I've definitely set that goal, with a Holden of course," he said. "The concept of the new car is fantastic. The NZ V8s are falling behind in respect of how old the cars are, although the racing is still fantastic."

The Falcons and Commodores in NZ V8s are now old-model cars with even older technology, such as carburettor engines and four-speed gearboxes.

Seeking to move the class forward, a group of team owners headed by Mark Petch commissioned an Australian company to produce a racing chassis that could accommodate the metal bodywork of a Falcon, Commodore, Camry or possibly other cars (with some modification).

Then they went a step further with the seven-litre engine, based on a Chevrolet Corvette motor. This is said to be capable of 10,000 racing kilometres with minimal attention, whereas the current five-litre engines are expensive to maintain and fail regularly.

The new cars will cost about $200,000 complete and Murphy said they would be much cheaper than the NZ V8s over the longer term because the higher-quality components would be more durable.

Also, it would be relatively cheap to update the car's appearance by putting a different model bodywork on the same chassis.

"It's a lot of car for that money," Murphy said. "It should be fantastic to drive, and similar in a lot of ways to V8 Supercars."

If he could race one in New Zealand that would help keep him race-fit for the V8 Supercars, he said.

NZ V8 champion Craig Baird and former champions John McIntyre, Kayne Scott and Andy Booth are all expecting to move over to V8SuperTourers and will probably not take part in next summer's NZ V8 championship.

MotorSport New Zealand has said NZ V8s will continue to be its top championship class for the next two seasons.

The main championship meetings are promoted by The Motorsport Company, headed by Kerry Cooper, who regards the new series as a "renegade" one and doubts whether it will succeed.

V8SuperTourers is planning a seven-round series starting in mid-February next year at Hampton Downs. It will go through till November and dates will be selected to avoid clashes with V8 Supercar or New Zealand championship meetings.

The series will include at least one endurance race and Murphy said that V8 Supercar drivers would be very interested in coming over to co-drive for the Kiwi teams.

long overdue.

I don't watch NZV8's because they just look like a boyracer got hold of a taxi.....

this concept has merit. good onya murph.

I like the NZV8s - quite good racing.

However I think this might succeed if the "cost of ownership" is actually lower and the racing is close.

I wanna see a 7 litre v8 FWD toyota camry :P

Gotta Agree the current NZV8's dont do much for me, taxi racing.

Edited by Jacko

It's more than just the races, it's the whole atmosphere. It's another excuse for a piss up and I love it.

Gotta Agree the current NZV8's dont do much for me, taxi racing.

Nothing wrong with racing a Taxi. :angry:

The article is putting an interesting "spin" on developments in the NZV8s, I read a while back about the new silhouette platform that is being developed (and is planned to be built by the same shop in Aussie that is making the new V8 Supercars "car of the future"). A set rolling body shell with control mechanicals that can accept a variety of engines (as long as V8 and RWD) and different body panels to give the illusion of different vehicles, but controlled to help close racing.

The NZV8s have been falling behind for a number of years, with only limited updates to the control regulations and the cars that are running. The Commodores are still running as VZs as they can't update to the VE bodywork on the existing chassis. So a big update is long overdue.

As long as it keeps the racing close, and there is plenty of door handle to door handle racing then I'm all for it. I just hope it won't cause a "split" in the category, it is hard enough to get 30 cars out for the NZV8s, splitting that in two won't be anywhere near as much fun to watch. We shall see...

I love watching NZ V8s now. Better than V8 supercars for my money.

This will only make the racing closer, faster and cheaper, so it's all positive.

Thats not entirely fair - last season's finale for the Aussie Supercars saw 1,2 and 3 in the championship aquaplane in concert into the wall in the critical race to decide the championship. The point is that the cars were even enough and the championship designed in a way that the final event decided the championship.

Some of the racing on the way through is pretty good too.... but ... if what you normally watch is motorbikes then they have plenty more passing.

Nice! About time something like this happened. I actually don't understand why NZV8's don't just run old V8 Supercars. Surely it isn't hard to put a rule in place that says they must be 2 years old (or something similar).

The current NZV8's really are dinosaurs. They can't even have a standing start!

Money is the problem. No one is spending it at the moment.

Jim Richards In a Nissan Skyline trashing V8's springs from my memory now that was fun to watch!!

I enjoyed that too Ron..... Unless your involved, alot of motorsport is quite boring these days (personal opinion)

Jim Richards In a Nissan Skyline trashing V8's springs from my memory now that was fun to watch!!

Why was it? Close racing? Competition? No.

May as well watch a single car drive around.

So its good competition if its got crashes next they will add brawls to stop TV viewers switching to rugby during the really boring bits?

Really the commentary from Murph was just low grade rubbish. It's a one donkey race with two sets of sheeps clothing.

By all means create a box rule like formula 1, Moto GP, Euro touring cars or Americas cup, then you might see some innovation and real technology that may trickle down to what we drive, ride or sail. You might see some stunning performances or innovative tactics.

But a hord of cars with 99% of the components controlled and some are sourced from an obsolete production car is hardly cutting edge or the new future, the new generation, future proofed or what ever Murph waffled on about.

And a crash or two and a brawl is hardly going to create motorsport history --- how many brawls has Valentino Rossi been involved in??

I suppose it depends what you want to watch. If you like mechanical perfection then formula 1 is great but I find it a bit tedious as so often the distances between cars is huge. V8s are usually pretty close for most of the race. I just prefer the close battle of the V8s bashing each other around.

Who cares if they're built out of wood and are powered by a steam engine, as long as it's exciting I couldn't care less.

Who cares if they're built out of wood and are powered by a steam engine, as long as it's exciting I couldn't care less.

Amen Brother :D !

No it wasn't, it was shithouse.

And yes brawls in rugby and crashes in motorsport are a big part of the attraction.

Then at least you can see the effort going into it, unlike formula1 when everyone (except that jap guy) is too scared to put the car up the inside of anything.

f**k, this conversasion gets boring.

No it wasn't, it was shithouse.

And yes brawls in rugby and crashes in motorsport are a big part of the attraction.

Then at least you can see the effort going into it, unlike formula1 when everyone (except that jap guy) is too scared to put the car up the inside of anything.

f**k, this conversasion gets boring.

Hard to say at the moment they haven't raced this year yet( F1)

Bring back turbos .. Let it all hang out ...see whos on top .

Agreed!

V6 1.5 litre turbo with no boost control besides a FIA pop-off valve and limit boost to 60psi.

No traction control

Drive that in the wet as good as Ayrton you muddlecollied nancy boys.

Hard to say at the moment they haven't raced this year yet( F1)

Unlikely to the point of impossible when you rely on aero as much as they do.

It's like a really fast funeral parade.

I've just been watching some old Nissan Mobil 500 footage.

That's really what we need to ignite the local racing scene, a premier event in a major city that's open to more than just two makes of taxi.

The R32 GTR only really raced against one V8 in Group A touring cars, and that was the Commodore. Have you forgotten in the early 90's, when Group A was on its last legs the GTR was also racing the E30 M3 and Cosworth.

Lets not forget that Gibson Motorsport had the largest budget by a long streach (in th ATCC), and the most technology advanced Touring Car.

Unlikely to the point of impossible when you rely on aero as much as they do.

It's like a really fast funeral parade.

thats because there are restrictedon what they can do ! the AERO ..is what they rely on is to make up for the lack of other things . Like Turbos , Launch control , and deep deep pockets.

Me wants

for F1 only " what ever you can dream up " ! this is a Technology based class .

Edited by rich

long overdue.

I don't watch NZV8's because they just look like a boyracer got hold of a taxi.....

this concept has merit. good onya murph.

Word!

for F1 only " what ever you can dream up " ! this is a Technology based class .

Agree with that.

Supposed to be the top level, lets see it.