Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

iFail

Something about the iphone 5?

Haha oh I am just reading about it. No iphone 5. Only a 4S. And it is only just catching up to something like the Samsung SII which is being replaced very soon. You would have to be a real idiot Fanboy to upgrade to it from an iphone 4.

Edited by driftit

Something about the iphone 5?

Haha oh I am just reading about it. No iphone 5. Only a 4S. And it is only just catching up to something like the Samsung SII which is being replaced very soon. You would have to be a real idiot Fanboy to upgrade to it from an iphone 4.

Agree.

4 -> 4S, not worth it

but 3GS -> 4S, yes.

A bit disappointed about not updating to a larger screen. I guess they want to preserve battery life given it's already bad enough.

Agree.

4 -> 4S, not worth it

but 3GS -> 4S, yes.

A bit disappointed about not updating to a larger screen. I guess they want to preserve battery life given it's already bad enough.

Yeah for sure. But also price dependent. If the Iphone 4 is much cheaper than the 4S than it still might not be worth it.

Same with the Samsungs. The S1 Plus is nearly as fast as the S2. But $200 cheaper.

NZ Apple Online store has the 'Poverty Pack" 8GB 4G at $899 from 14th October ( release day of the 4s )

UK Apple Store has the 4s 'Starting' at 499 Pound, which will be for the 16GB, so I guess that is around NZ $1050, so when NZ finally gets them in December, they may be +/- $1000 on a 24month plan ??

Oh to be in USA where the 3Gs is Free, 4 8GB is $99 and the new 4s is $199 - $399 depending on GBs !

Seems that Vodafone NZ pissed Apple off with the 4 launch, so has been taken off the first 2 launch days :(

Edited by camera doctor

I do not see the point. Once you go out and buy the 4GS or something, they are all ready to release the 4GS-GTS version with "extra apps" or some rubbish like that. Such a huge waste of money, unless you really need it for what its for, if you buy it just for txting/calling, ur wasting your time, and buying it on a plan makes me laugh because once you have paid off the 4GS on a plan of $80 a month, the iPhone 6GCLK version is already out. Apple sure no how to get $$$

yeah its an addiction to some haha. more on the bragging rights and display of status for people than practicality. most people dont even use all the apps. my sis only uses it to text, make calls, take photos and the ocassional games thats it.

good on apple!!

I reckon the best bang for buck at the moment is the Samsung Galaxy S Plus. Just over $500 and is more powerful than the iphone 4 which is double the price. Yet the specs are near identical apart from the S Plus's more powerful processor.

I was gonna sell my iPhone 4 to buy the Galaxy S2 after a certain 'Hybrid' showed me his galaxy but if a new one is on its way Ill just wait...

I am sure the Android OS are just as powerful and versatile if not more so than the iOS, but my initial experience on Android 1.6 have put me off using it any further. I had to go through a fair bit of trouble trying to get my contact to sync from a Mac. (Sync to Google through iTunes then sync to the phone). There has to be an easy way for Mac users, can someone tell me if this has improved on the latest 2.2/2.3 versions?

Another problem I have with Android phones are they are all too "plastic-ie". None of them are made with some "proper" material as it is on iPhone like glass and bits of metal. The top-shelf Android all look good, being slim and all but it doesn't feel as good when you hold them in your hand compare to an iPhone.

Until the Android camp sort these two out, I am sticking with my iPhone.

I have had the original the 3GS and the 4 (work phone) and all i have had is problems with all of them ranging from screens stop working, button stops working and full hardware failure...i think the reason most go too iphone is because it is an IPHONE and they do have cool apps and easy synching through itunes etc I have just bought the Galaxy S2 and it kicks iphone4's ass all over the place, smoother everything, Android 2.3 is awesome (esp from the 1.6 on my HTC)

I don't think i would ever buy an iphone again for myself!

Im an Apple fanboy, but i dont own an iPod or iPhone, and regret buying an iPad though it does make my job a lot easier. Both way overpriced for what they are.

Ive been on an Galaxy S2 for the past 6 weeks (my first smart phone).. and I cant go back to candy bar ever again.

I also try and use the wifes iphone4 and the first this that gets me is what a tiny screen it has. Next thing is how laggy it is, then after that the fact I need to install itunes to do anything.

Dont get me wrong, iphone is and has been an awesome device, a revolution if you like .. but as some of the media are saying, apple have a lot of catching up to do and I dont think an upgraded 4 with the same inferior screen will cut it.

This was a total fail. Apple needed to change the design, and ideally make the screen bigger. It didn't have to be 'better' just different and I would have wanted and iPhone 5.

iOS 5 is good, but that is going to run on 3GS. The new camera is nice, but the 4 camera was pretty good. I don't need 1080p video.

I have had a few iPhones, WP7 and multiple android phones. Android is my choice for a few reasons:

-intergration with apps is good (eg, if I open a web link where I have an app for that site, it will open the app automatically - iOS doesn't do this

-google integration and cloud syncing (iOS 5 will do this)

-ability to use 3rd part apps for core service like dialers, music player and SMS.

-free navigation

-4.3" screen if u want it.

I like mango, but it's still a little immature.

I would still recommend an iPhone to most people, but at the moment I'll stick to 2009's greatest - the HTC HD2.

(dual boot both android and windows phone 7).

Sent from my iPad

Have never liked apple from the get go. Sure they have some good stuff but the idea of making it so hard to use anything that is not an apple product puts me off.

Have just upgraded from the galaxy to the s2 for free and so far i cannot fault it one bit..

What ever happened to smoke signals and/or pigeons ?

Posted Image

Posted Image

What ever happened to smoke signals and/or pigeons ?

Posted Image

Posted Image

They still use them in Dunedin don't they?

As a consumer I find Apple to be taking the piss. As someone with a keen interest in business I think their business model is awesome.

As a technophile I think the top end android products make a lot of sense and would buy the new samsung galaxy and Asus EEEPad tomorrow. As an iPhone 4 and iPad 2 user (work supplied) I think they are great work tools that are in general fantastic to use. The iPad especially makes great financial sense over a netbook or laptop in my line of work, and I couldn't do my job without an iPhone equivalent even though they aren't cheap.

The 4s is more or less exactly what the original predictions of what the iPhone 5 was going to be. Again, as a consumer it sucks, but Apple absolutely made the right call with this release. The trouble is, I think the business model is only sustainable while other manufacturers are playing catchup at the same price point. Since this is more or less no longer the case, apple have some thinking to do.

Typed on my iPhone, ;) because I do use mine for much more than calling or texting. An efficient work tool.

They still use them in Dunedin don't they?

Yup, that picture of the bird is my iPhone - 2000bc and the first picture is me calling my wife to make sure the tea is cooked and house is clean before I return home from the office.

they are playing the squeeze as much out of the product game doing incremental upgrades and 'new' models. they are putting faith in their "brand" so to speak. even though they may have inferior products now, their brand image is second to none in the eyes of consumers. asked my friend who bought one recently why she bought one when she could have bought an android, she answered 'because its an apple and its cool noone uses android phones'

go the android!

Edited by Docile

Bit of background....One of my companies writes apps for iOS, Android and WP7 - we have devices everywhere!! iPhones, iPads, iPods, Android handsets, WP7 phones, Android Tablets, Macs, PCs......madness!!!

To sum up: Android is great for geeks (and tight budgets). iPhone is great for non-geeks and the rich. WP7 is great for Microsoft lovers (and not much else).

People buying those cheap-ass Android phones are not buying a good experience. In fact, with the work we have done, you a better off in the long run to stretch your budget as much as you can for a better device (don't drink beer for 2 weeks maybe..hehehe). You use them for a few years - so it is worth it. They do have their place - but if you just want to dial/text though - buy a cheap nokia. A slow/small screen Android device is just maddening.

Samsung Galaxy/Nexus S is a wicked bit of kit - but the Galaxy S2 is a whole new level. I personally carry a Galaxy S2 and iPhone 4 these days.

Our Mango experience (latest WP7 update) is that it brings WP7 up to about 1 year ago on Android or iOS. It does have some very nice features, tricks for demos and a cool contact centric UI - but overall it isn't a game changer. MS are down to less than 5% market share on the smartphone side. We are watching it closely - but nothing is going to change until Nokia ship some world-beating WP7 hardware next year...yes, unlikely...Microsoft lovers are holding out for a miracle - it might come, but for today Android and iOS are the only games in town - by a country 100 miles.

On the tablet side, iPad2 is hands down the best of the crop - we have invested in Android tablets for development and they don't even come close to iPad. Regardless of your fanboy status - its hard to argue. iPad2 is the only game in town. Android tablets are clumsy and don't really flow - even with Android 3.2. Maybe Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) will change things....maybe...

Anyway, thought I would share from the point of view of someone who lives/breathes all platforms every day...phew!

Edited by E90 M3

Anyway, thought I would share from the point of view of someone who lives/breathes all platforms every day...phew!

Yep, well summed up there man.

I'm also in the app development game and have a company that specializes in developing Windows Phone applications. As you said, the success of the platform is going be directly related to Nokia and the miracle they will be pulling off later this year / early next year :P

Having said that, I'm still carrying a galaxy S... as you said, it's truly the ideal 'geek' phone.

Mind if I ask what sort of apps you guys develop? Always keen to hear what other fellow kiwis are up to in the mobile industry, we've got some awesome stuff coming out of lil ol NZ...

Edited by crazyarab

To sum up: Android is great for geeks (and tight budgets). iPhone is great for non-geeks and the rich. WP7 is great for Microsoft lovers (and not much else).

Would have to agree if someone wants something thats there, updates when it needs to and just easy to use i would recommend the iphone.

For the people that want the freedom and a bit more pc friendly unit i would say android.

Have not played on windows 7 but i would be very keen on a windows 8 phone just to be different,

As to what apple has done i think Bravo has it right, Its all about the money but i do think to keep up with samsung they should bring the iphone 5 out in 6 months time once they have sold 50m iphone 4s, so they dont get to far behind.

Also Android vs apple ios? 1000's of devices vs 4[soon to be 5] to me apple has the better numbers, Even tho android is free samsung still pays google so much to have it android on there units, They have to pay for patents and so on.

Wheres apple has everything they need.

This fight will go on for a long time. Android will win unless apple can offer a sub $500 iphone.