Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

E39 M5 restoration project

Since replacing the relay, the issue has returned back once, so i am pretty sure that it has triggered the knock sensor code.

Looking great man!

Yep, couple of things done recently :

-New pre-cat o2 sensors

-New MAF sensors

-Full GT1 scan and adaptions reset.

-New oil separator hoses, and oil separators cleaned out.

I'm happy to report that there is no more 'shaky' hesitation on the odd occasion anymore since doing the above. I'm also happy that the VANOS tests reported no issues.

Here's a few pics of the GT1 scan. Thanks to Ray@HELLBM for the assistance.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That looks like a very comfortable and special place to be.

Ordinarily I hate woodgrain but in conjunction with the caramel interior it is very classy.

Love that interior! Nice work.

Love the tape deck and old TV too haha.

Ordinarily I hate woodgrain but in conjunction with the caramel interior it is very classy.

+1 i agree. Caramel looks great.

That looks like a very comfortable and special place to be.

Couldn't agree more. Normally I dislike woodgrain (got it on my 520), but with that interior it actually looks pretty awesome.

Looking great Martin. Woodgrain's come up really well. I reckon if you just sand and paint the board monitor trim black it would really modernise it and no need to cover the rest of the wood then. Easy to do and made a big difference in my car IMO.

Looking great Martin. Woodgrain's come up really well. I reckon if you just sand and paint the board monitor trim black it would really modernise it and no need to cover the rest of the wood then. Easy to do and made a big difference in my car IMO.

Sounds like a great idea. Is it possible to wrap it?

Yeah it is, did mine. where the monitor pushes through the face plate, you need to trim the vinyl on the leading edge instead of wrapping it round the corners. Because, the monitor is mm perfect and will push the vinyl off

Yeah it is, did mine. where the monitor pushes through the face plate, you need to trim the vinyl on the leading edge instead of wrapping it round the corners. Because, the monitor is mm perfect and will push the vinyl off

Yep, Jamie's right. Possible but hard to get perfect. I think painting looks 100% better and easy to get a finish that looks OE. It's not difficult to pick up replacement trim. My advice would be to buy a cheap second that's a faded/cracked, sand it smooth and paint. Martin can put the original one away somewhere and put it back on if he changes his mind!

EDIT: A satin black gives a really good OE finish. Gloss is to shiny and matte looks like chalkboard!

Edited by jeffbebe

Some more pics of a rare opportunity to drive a clean black car in Auckland. There are a few cosmetic blemishes that I will be sorting over the coming summer months :

- rear diffuser (broken tabs)

- Install missing gearbox under tray.

- Replace both lower corner bumper trims

- replace corroded shadowline window trim pieces

- repair and repaint front bumper

95wb.jpg

nf05.jpg

llvu.jpg

Looking good Martin. Replacing the shadowline trim will be very expensive unless you find some good secondhand trim. You can sand and repaint it. The guy I recommended for your bumper would do a good job of that, I reckon, and for a lot less cash than new trim.

I just replaced both the bumper undercarriage panels for mine (haven't fitted yet) for around $200 shipped from Schmiedmann.

That seems a reasonable price for the panels, are they OEM?

Good point about repainting!!

New v-belts, and fuel filter installed. The old fuel filter was manufactured in 04/99. Fuel pouring out from the inlet side was disgusting! The A/C belt was certainly on it's last leg.

That seems a reasonable price for the panels, are they OEM?

Yep. Will try and fit them before Sat morning if I get time - or bring them along and do it there!

Got some cosmetic work going on atm to restore the beast to it's former glory.

- Booked in to get front bumper repaired and re-painted. Fix up stone chips on bonnet.

- Front lower bumper corner coverings on order

-Trunk ventilation panels on order (to get rid of the disgusting exhaust smell in the car when thrashing it)

- headlight lower trims on order

Am currently also trying to get easyDIS with GT1 installed on a laptop so will be able to do some scanning/logging/coding to make sure the car has a clean bill of health.

Considering re-locating the IAT so the power delivery is more consistant, but that will come after i'm sure the engine is running as it should.

Will post some before and after pics of the cosmetics asap.

Edited by BreakMyWindow

A wee update.

The car has for the passed 3 weeks mostly lived at someones business who shall remain nameless getting a hole, and a crack fixed in the front bumper, followed by a full repaint of the bumper. It turns out the bumper is looking like it will need to be re prep'd and painted, as this business thought they could just repair the bumper damage, and give it a lick of paint. Would of thought any stone chips or scrapes would need to be prep'd before painting a bumper ?

The broken piece below is the corner bumper covering which I have ready to install. This is an example of the corner-cutting sh*t-house workmanship done.

r1k5.jpg

EDIT: Was going to name and shame but then realised you still have to go back to get your trim pieces so thought better of it!

Edited by jeffbebe

EDIT: Was going to name and shame but then realised you still have to go back to get your trim pieces so thought better of it!

:rolleyes: 3 posts back might want tweaked a bit then............... ;):)

Bummer - that's a fairly average looking job.................I'd be disappointed too........

:rolleyes: 3 posts back might want tweaked a bit then............... ;):)

Bummer - that's a fairly average looking job.................I'd be disappointed too........

Stop living in the past, bro, there's a whole world out there.

• Like 1

Thrust arm bushes replaced with uprated items from an X5. Had these in my previous 540i and they made a significant difference to braking and turn-in feel. Same results produced when installed in to the M5. No more wobble wobble at 80 - 90km'h and steering wheel jolt during sudden braking either.

The bushing on the left was far worse cracked than the one on the right. I suspect these were the originals. They did well for 170,000kms in an M5.

r6ij.jpg

Happy Face!

Finally got DIS and TIS working on an old work laptop. Josh (Hybrid) may know if I'm correct but it appears that the DME s'ware version is from 2003 ? Even though the car was built in Sep 99' possible DME swap out, or s'ware update ?

vyo1.jpg

Had a quick play around in GT1, in particular with the VANOS test, which looks to be in good shape.

ue8u.jpg

f1my.jpg

56n6.jpg

There is a whole heap of misleading info on the net about getting DIS to run on a laptop. If anyones interested, pm me and I can give you all the details about what you need to get it running.

Also another update on the Bumper, finally got it back. Looks a lot better now, just need to fit all the trim pieces and new lower compartment covers. The headlights and fog lamps are niceley pitted, so they will be getting some attention during my summer break.