Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

E39 M5 restoration project

Lookin' good. The blue LED's dont look too bad but the thought of blue and caramel color sounds weird - think whites would look good. I was thinking of ordering some of the LED's too, off ebay for my 530 interior (where did you source your's from?). Do they throw any error codes?

Send me a pm.

Yep, agree that the puddle lights look good. Do think the others area little too blue. Would also look great with a 16:9 screen upgrade - once done - you wouldn't go back I am sure

Yep, agree that the puddle lights look good. Do think the others area little too blue. Would also look great with a 16:9 screen upgrade - once done - you wouldn't go back I am sure

I'll need the video module and mk4 nav unit as well. The 16:9 units are getting long in the tooth so the lcd screens will need replacing soon - have researched the procedure for that and it's no fun.

I'll need the video module and mk4 nav unit as well. The 16:9 units are getting long in the tooth so the lcd screens will need replacing soon - have researched the procedure for that and it's no fun.

Have you considered getting those dynavin units?

The screens are pretty reliable, I have only ever seen one with pixel failure, one pixel too. Yes you need the VM too, both are plug & play replacement. You don't require the Mk 4 unit but that is a good upgrade as well. Not sure what Nav unit is currently fitted & if Jap or Euro but you don't require any Nav unit if you don't want.

I upgraded & would never go back to 4:3 screen now. Not keen on taking out to replace with Dynavin either

The screens are pretty reliable, I have only ever seen one with pixel failure, one pixel too. Yes you need the VM too, both are plug & play replacement. You don't require the Mk 4 unit but that is a good upgrade as well. Not sure what Nav unit is currently fitted & if Jap or Euro but you don't require any Nav unit if you don't want.

I upgraded & would never go back to 4:3 screen now. Not keen on taking out to replace with Dynavin either

It's on the low priority list for now. But since the unit was used on a few different bmw platforms it means they're in ample supply if you look all over the globe.

The Dynavin is appealing, and would modernise the car. But this M5 has a surprise lurking in the rear seat - a second MID unit.

• Like 1

It's on the low priority list for now. But since the unit was used on a few different bmw platforms it means they're in ample supply if you look all over the globe.

The Dynavin is appealing, and would modernise the car. But this M5 has a surprise lurking in the rear seat - a second MID unit.

E38 or 39 only. Not X5 as many sellers include. Cosmetically the same but different pixel angle refraction (due to flatter viewing angle) & a different bezel

• Like 1

Spare time this weekend will be used to replace the PS fluid reservoir, and the 2 low-pressure hoses that are connected to it. The hose connecting from the reservoir to the pump is leaking badly :

20141017_165501.jpg

20141017_165522.jpg

Edited by BreakMyWindow
  • Like 1

No more oil leaks! Low pressure hoses and reservoir swap done.

leaky%20hoses%20and%20reservoir.jpg

One thing I learned is that the PS hydraulic system takes nearly 1 litre of ATF to successfully bleed the system out. Was not impressed to hear the PS pump grinding upon start up once fluid was added. A lot of air got in to the system as I started the engine briefly to blow most of the old fluid out when the low pressure hoses were removed.

Edited by BreakMyWindow
  • Like 1

Was not impressed to hear the PS pump grinding upon start up once fluid was added. A lot of air got in to the system as I started the engine briefly to blow most of the old fluid out when the low pressure hoses were removed.

Ooof... they don't like air. The Subaru in my VW Van sounds supercharged after I let too much air through the system... the lines go from the rear right up to the front and since I left a clamp loose by accident, after I emptied the first 5L in, I had to run up and turn it off! Whines all the time now though, from running dry-ish for too long :( . At least you didn't do that!

On a postive note... the dirt floor in my barn is far less dusty now :lol: .

Tackled the thermostat job again (slightly stuck open thermostat) and also the lower oil separator hoses.

Engine%20bay1.jpg

Engine%202.jpg

Engine%204.jpg

Made a vacuum leak tester using an air compressor, some hose fittings and soapy water in a spray bottle. Found some bubbles coming from the T junction of the vac hose which goes from the rear throttle bodies and on to the Brake Booster. Ordered the replacement through Clayton's.

Should explain the intermittent lumpy idle, and intermittent softer brake pedal feeling.

Leaky%20T%20junction.jpg

Edited by BreakMyWindow
  • Like 2

Got a bit crafty this morning and used some 2 part epoxy on a piece that someone had snapped off in the past. This piece helps secure the cover for the ignition coils/wires. Took a lot of mucking around, but in the end I think i've got it on straight enough. Have since cleaned up the excess glue that seeped out of the join.

glue.jpg

• Like 1

Made a home-made vac. leak tester using a smoke machine (cheers Jooles) and some coolant pipe.

Was thinking it would need some compressed air to help get the smoke through the vacuum system, but it appears to work very well. No leaks found aside from what was mentioned in a previous post.

20141102_142449.jpg

• Like 1

Let's bring it to the next Coffee and Cars in December and we can do leak tests for people. I've also got tiny ADS OBD adapter so can hopefully scan some of the older cars.

• Like 1

Yep can do, will just need a long enough extension lead for the electrons, and some more fittings to be able to connect to various engine vacuum sources.

A small amount of water is produced from all the smoke which seems to only collect in the first section of hose, so will look in to making a moisture trap.

• Like 1

That's awesome!

Guest cortez

Hi martin went through all 15 pages today...... ! Amazing job and dedication . Love the car, keep up the good work

• Like 3

Good job! How did the track session go?

Good idea... last time I tracked my M5 I was up for $1500 in new front discs.

Ok... so got a lil bit carried away with the facelift theme and replaced the cumbersome 4:3 monitor

interior%20view%201.jpg

interior%20view%202.jpg

This has got to be the most pointless option you can order for an e39. A boot fully trimmed in Alcantara. Gave it a good brush and vacum anyways.

boot.jpg

• Like 4