Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

E39 M5 restoration project

Have you got a working engine now, Tristan?

Found one just waiting on it :(

• Like 1

Received the Evolve-r cable and software today. Should have the new tune on this week.

evoleR%20setup.jpg

Edited by BreakMyWindow
  • Like 2

Swapped waterpumps on m60 a couple weeks ago. One of the ali tubes fell out even though I was caeful as $#@& prising them off. Figured id have a go at just slipping it in and hoping. I was lucky.

Next time its plenumn off and fabricate some type of hold at the firewall end for those ali tubes. Obviously theyre fine when a waterpump is jamming and sandwiching them tight but the waterpump swap is a mare for that reason alone.

Seems an odd design. Or a weak point in the system at least.

Received the Evolve-r cable and software today. Should have the new tune on this week.

Awesome - looking forward to review.

Have you got a working engine now, Tristan?

You doing some prevention work to this one while its out?

You doing some prevention work to this one while its out?

Will update my other thread in Projects so as not to hijack.

• Like 1

Back on topic :-P

The Evolve tune was emailed through early this morning. Loaded the tune in this morning before the commute to work.

Some pics of the procedure.

- Batt voltage needs to remain @ 13v for writing to the DME. No battery tender available, so the Dog car gets used :

batt%20voltage.jpg

- Being a Sep 99' M5 I have obd1 and obd2 ports. To read the dme calibration files and send them to Evolve I only had success via the obd1 port. To write the Evolve DME files, I had to use the obd2 port. Got an error half way through the write process via obd1, tried starting car and nothing happened... probably something to do with the 'ENGINE FAILSAFE PROGRAM' cluster msg,. Thought I had bricked the DME for a moment there.

obd1%20comms.jpg

- The writing process via obd2 nearly done

evolve%20tune%20write.jpg

Initial Impression

Started her up, all seems normal, high idle rpm for around 90secs to warm up the cats. I can tell the throttle pedal maps have been smoothed in non sport mode. 1st to 2nd gear changing is definitely smoother now.

Part throttle cruising seems the same, pushing the loud pedal in non-sport mode is definitley more responsive. Given the nature of Auckland traffic in the morning I couldn't really push the car. I have noticed that torque from 2k rpm onwards is more apparent. 3rd gear with a slight prod of the pedal from 2k rpm now feels like 2nd gear. The exhaust note now seems a bit tighter.

Will need to get some more kms on the car before the adaptions adjust and the full performance of the tune is unleashed. Overall very happy with the tune so far. Will report back when I've had the chance to drive it under WOT.

• Like 1

Time to change the title of your thread then... Mod time!

Nice..

Unfortunately $20 cables will give you that write issue when flashing. Youll only brick the ECU if the car is writting the UIF and flash counter back to flash (right at the end). It is still recoverible .. but not with cables.

Off to get a power run on a dyno shortly. Will post back results, I'll also see if they're suitable to host our next club dyno day.

• Like 1

Right-O dyno results...

Seems to be misfiring up top a bit which is affecting peak power. Will need to get some diagnostics done to check over the ignition system. As you can see here the dyno graph plotting is very 'spikey' up top :

Missfires%20maybe.jpg

The inlet air temps were quite high, 20 deg C above ambient for the first run which made 226 rwkw in 5th gear with something a miss up top. Had INPA doing real time logging of sucked air temp :

IATS%20reading%20run%201.jpg

We then hooked up a large fan which helped greatly with bringing down IAT's still about 10 deg C above ambient, that was with the fan running for over 25mins to cool things down.

setting%20up.jpg

Sucked air temps after around 25mins of cooling down :

IATS%20run%203.jpg

Final power figure was 229 rwkw in 4th gear. AFR's looks much better than last year, so the tune has done a fair of tidying up with fueling. Torque reading is good, and feels much better than before, especially in the mid range.

So overall a 9 rwkw improvement with the tune. Both this and last years run were still not as good as they could be due to some issues at high rpm's. No doubt I'll get to the bottom of it though :-)

power%20run%203.jpg

• Like 1

Some shots of my and another member's (NUSTAD) E39 M5's

Taken at the June Coffee and Cars meet.

Coffee%20and%20Cars%202%20June%202014.jp

Coffee%20and%20Cars%203%20June%202014.jp

Coffee%20and%20Cars%204%20June%202014.jp

Edited by BreakMyWindow
  • Like 2

Had the clogged catalytic converters removed yesterday and replaced with mandrel bent pipes. Car is now twice as loud. Some stock rear scuba tank mufflers are going back in once I source some heat shields for them.

• Like 2

How many k's had they done? I hate to think what state mine are in after 175000km & 20 years :huh:

Got some new shoes for the M5... A full set of brand-new Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Michelin%20PSS%20new%20set.jpg

label.jpg

Edited by BreakMyWindow