Sign in to follow this  
Kodachrome

Someone in Wellington region to do Valve Stem Oil seals on E31

Finally think I should get this fixed so I can drive in the summer without gassing myself with black smoke. I was told of a good guy in Porirua (thought name was something like Mark Wallace but I cant find him)... has to be someone good with older BM's.

Any suggestions?

I don't know if this is Jon's sort of thing, but JKSE in Newtown have a very good reputation.

Black smoke from the CSI would be fuel related not valve stem seals. Valve stem seals will give you white smoke. Or do you have an "old" X5 3.Od ?

Black smoke from the CSI would be fuel related not valve stem seals. Valve stem seals will give you white smoke. Or do you have an "old" X5 3.Od ?

Sorry that was misleading of me, its grey smoke, one bank only and changes smell and colour with different motor oils (I tried a "smokeless oil" which confirmed it right away), its definitely oil being sucked through after letting off throttle after hard acceleration, which is a tell tale oil seal leak due to vacuum. Also smells like burning oil and not petrol. Its also "using" more oil than it should.

That aside, Im looking for someone to do the job, I have all the parts already and actually most of the tools, I stripped it down myself and found the one tool I didnt have was a spring compressor that would play nice with the camshaft. The M70/S70 engine is actually quite easy for this job, you just put some rope in the spark plug holes to stop the valve dropping when the springs are removed. Head doesnt need to be removed.

I would prefer a pro to do it though as its somewhat annoying work.

Edited by kodachrome

I remember reading something quite a long time ago about crankcase ventilator valves giving problems like this on these older M70/S70 cars. I suggest you try having a "google" first. It may not be valve stem seals, especially that it only effects one bank.

Hi there, I'm the guy who had a chat to you a couple of weeks ago in the local Mitre 10 carpark. As a former local owner of an 8 series, I had all my work done at Porirua City European (the Mike you refer to). they are based in Elsdon, next to North City Go karts. PM me if you woiuld like his number.

They have worked on many of my cars including e39 535i, e34 520i, HSV Sentor, Holden Adventra and currently they service my X3 and HSV Avalanche. I recommend Mike! Cheers

it maybe also depend on where in wellington) you are located.Page european in Home St in the city know their older BMWs,Mike Page (former owner of Page european,is up the Kapiti coast.

When i had my E34 Page European did all the work on it excepet tfor the occasional oil change

Mike Wallis at Porirua City European looks after my E36. Ace bloke.

I remember reading something quite a long time ago about crankcase ventilator valves giving problems like this on these older M70/S70 cars. I suggest you try having a "google" first. It may not be valve stem seals, especially that it only effects one bank.

Yeah you are correct, this can cause it too but I swapped the PCVs then replaced one just to be sure and the same bank does the same thing. I had new PCVs in it anyhow.

yep Mike is good.

And yes Glenn is right about that valve, and I have a spare M70 sitting in the shed, you are welcome to borrow the valve off that one and put it on yours (3 minute job to change) and see what happens. They are bank specifc, so unlike a lot of things you can swap from left to right, thats not one of them.

Can vouch for Mike Page up the coast. Did all the work on my 540s and at a reasonable price too. Probably one of the more experienced bmw guys in the region too. Have had a bit of work done at Page European, which I can't fault, also came in under quote.

And yes Glenn is right about that valve, and I have a spare M70 sitting in the shed, you are welcome to borrow the valve off that one and put it on yours (3 minute job to change) and see what happens. They are bank specifc, so unlike a lot of things you can swap from left to right, thats not one of them.

Ill have to double check what ones are on mine as I thought the bank specific-ness was just the rubber hose parts bend, not the valve itself. I have a bunch of spares already thanks though!