Sign in to follow this  
glen.riley.1990

E36 M3 Resto vs re shell

Im having a bit of a dilemma having picked up a scruffy e36 m3 for what i considered to be a pretty good price (given it was marginally more than what I've seen S50B30 motors for sale).

the positives being;

-NZ new

-low ish ks (125 km)

-it has some nice specs, full OBC, black leather vaders, staggered M-Forged double spoke wheels

-AC Schnitzer (remus built?) rear exhaust section. sounds goooood!

-it drives quite well having not touched any of the regular suspension bushes ect.

- and obviously its an M3 (its been a bucket list thing to own an M for a while... now it puts a smile on my face every time i drive it!)

the negatives being:

-its scruffy inside and out. the roof lining is currently out to be redone, the leather door cards are knackered pockets have separated from the door, the front seats need a bit of TLC to get the colour back in the bolsters. the paint work is average in places with car park dings down both sides.

- i did not recieve an owners manual with it, there for am some what unsure of service history

-the big one being the front end is a bit crooked, you don't notice it from a distance but the closer you look the more obvious it is that its had a biff on the front left. panels don't line up, plastic under trays missing, inlet boot plenum cracked, inner gaurd skins held and bumper bits zip tied as holes for the clips are torn. im yet to pull the front off it to check the damage, but have had a look at it up on a hoist and could not spot and sign of bent chassis. (came with a fresh w.o.f)

What would the general consensus of repair vs re-shell be? i would like a tidy car, not really after something immaculate that you're too scared to drive.

im leaning towards repair to keep consistent number and an original M3. possibly an M sport coupe as a panel donor? it just seems like a hell of a lot of work for a car that would need to be painted to look really clean again.

Indeed, keep the main body and just replace damaged panels, other wise it won't have the right numbers and worth nothing

Fix it.

Low KM original 3.0s are becoming rarer by the day. Reshelling it removes all originality and a lot of value. Do you have any pictures?

• Like 1

Meh, reshell it if it's bent. Nothing particularly special about an E35 M3 body.

Meh, reshell it if it's bent. Nothing particularly special about an E35 M3 body.

Do you remember the fiasco that was the yellow E36 M3 that was reshelled into a 318i shell (and the fact most things that were swapped over needed to be certified)? Value on that was terrible. Its all about matching numbers for something as uncommon as a 3.0 M3.

Also, arent M3 shells reinforced for subframe mounts?

E36 bits, including panel parts, are a dime a dozen.

Edited by KwS

I think find pricea for both. Like westy said theres nothing special about m3 e36 its just like any other e36 coupe. In saying that how likely is it to find the exact body panels u want? E36 is an old shape and model. Most likely they will all be pretty scrappy. Repair would result in a cleaner finished product right?

Pics?

Do you remember the fiasco that was the yellow E36 M3 that was reshelled into a 318i shell (and the fact most things that were swapped over needed to be certified)? Value on that was terrible. Its all about matching numbers for something as uncommon as a 3.0 M3.

Also, arent M3 shells reinforced for subframe mounts?

E36 bits, including panel parts, are a dime a dozen.

Pretty bloody easy to reinforce a couple of mounts. Damn sight easier than straightening a front end.

Then swap numbers over, no-ones the wiser. Long as it's honest intent there's no problem.

Also, work to front rails (crumple zones) would require repair cert. I know I'd be far more comfortable with a reshelled car than a dodgy repair from godknowswhere.

*Depends on how badly it's bent.

the negatives being:

-its scruffy inside and out. the roof lining is currently out to be redone, the leather door cards are knackered pockets have separated from the door, the front seats need a bit of TLC to get the colour back in the bolsters. the paint work is average in places with car park dings down both sides.

- i did not recieve an owners manual with it, there for am some what unsure of service history

-the big one being the front end is a bit crooked, you don't notice it from a distance but the closer you look the more obvious it is that its had a biff on the front left. panels don't line up, plastic under trays missing, inlet boot plenum cracked, inner gaurd skins held and bumper bits zip tied as holes for the clips are torn. im yet to pull the front off it to check the damage, but have had a look at it up on a hoist and could not spot and sign of bent chassis. (came with a fresh w.o.f)

The more i think about it the less i think it would need a reshell. Most E36s will be missing the under panel plastics, they break and tend not to be replaced. Inlet boots crack, thats normal. Bits being zip tied together, although not great isnt a major. it might just need a new bumper or whatever part is zip tied. If parts arent screwed together properly they will look out of alignment, as even the bumper has a large range of adjustment when the bolts are backed off. You might find that by even just taking the panels off, and reassembling them correctly, they might align OK.

The interior sounds like a normal E36 interior that hasnt been refreshed. Most will have the saggy headlining and door trims, and teather wears. There are heaps of leather products that will breathe new life into it.

Start a new service history, no big deal. Most NZ cars (especially imports) are missing all the manuals and service history.

Then swap numbers over, no-ones the wiser. Long as it's honest intent there's no problem.

Other than it being illegal? Hate to be the next owner when having plates and tags swapped catches up with them.

Other than it being illegal? Hate to be the next owner when having plates and tags swapped catches up with them.

So is repairing the front rails with out a repair cert/law's an arse.

Depending on how badly they're bent (or if they are bent).

First thing to do is get a full set of dimensions for the car then get it measured for straightness This from my retired panel beater mate who did quite a few classics . even if its out can easily be straightened on chassis machine If its ok then just buy good panels plenty around . door cards , if cant get black you can get a leather spray called Simply spray , in a can . He reckons its always best to work on the origonal body rather than putting mechanicals /suspension into another that wasnt exactly the same . Good E36 M3 are very desireable I have been looking for a good 1 for while .to replace my 328 IS coupe

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies, apologies for my lack of replies too, i have just gotten home from wee holiday in Canada.

sure ill get some pics up when i get back in town from work. it looks ok from a distance, but as with anything the closer you look the more you see.

i defiantly see the value in the matching numbers, factory M3s are not that easy to come by, E36 coupes no so much. i do remember that dakar car from while back, there were defiantly a few strong opinions over what the car should have been sold as / what it was worth.

The typical E36 stuff, roof lining, leather ect in need of attention isnt a biggie. i've actually got the roof lining out of it at the moment, my next little project being to get it recovered either DIY or professionally. does any one out there have experience or advice either way on this (tips on DIY or decent places to get it done?)

the only panel that really needs replacing is the drivers door, there's a decent dent with a crease in it.

its more if there is any substantial chassis damage hiding under the ziptied panels at the front (bumper and both inner guard skins as far as i can see at the moment, all undertray stuff missing...) i've got bit of spare time this weekend so think it might be a good oppertunity to pull the front panels off an assess the extent or lack of damage.

well that the paint being below average (looks like its been egged and hit with 1000 grit sand paper to get it off) + a raft of supermarket dings down the drivers rear quarter.

if only i had the money id buy it off you and restore it :P Gotta catch em all.

Keen to see pictures. I really wouldnt be worried about the under trays being damaged or missing, its REALLY common (my M3 is missing the center under tray completely, as did my last E36).

Depending on the paint, if its just scuffed and dull, a decent cut and polish or a wetsand might bring it back up but if its peeling it could be a bit more expensive due to needing paint.

OK its been a while and progress has been a little slow, ive been away for work for the last 6 odd months and relocated to Rotorua, BUT we have progress!

I am defiantly going the resto route, since the last post i have finished a few things off;

-Roof lining A pillars Cpillars and parcel shelf all recovered! massive improvement over the roof sail i had before!

-Sunroof cassette removed, broken clips and bits replaced, it doesn't leave the shuttle in the roof and jam now, it also tilts and slides like it should!

-Drivers door handel replaced, it stopped working, its really not cool looking like your breaking into your own car in westfeild carpark...

-Door Handel surrounds replaced

-Drivers window reg, missing bushings replaced, window clips replced <-- these, you can just push the reg into the clip with the split pin installed, saved me hours once i figured this out!

-Drivers door, front guards replaced, front bumper plastic welded

-Front inner guard liners installed (missing)

-Front belly pan installed(missing)

-misc panel work, rust cut out of tail light by battery, few other bits tidied up.

-And the big one for now, Front cross member replaced. cracked and pulled through engine mounts!

Up next; door cards, Guibo, brake pads + rotors + bleed, G'box flush, Diff flush (possible center re-build to 3 or 4 clutch setup, i've already done a 4 clutch 1 of these to go into my 328i, feel free to shoot any questions regarding this) and more bits of perished trim.

ill endevour to keep this up to date as i go photos included. As the car is in auckland ill upload some general photos and some photos of the work i've done next time i make it back to the big smoke!

Cheers and Take it easy

Glen

PS any members in the Rotorua/Taupo/BOP area ?

PPS Thanks goes out to dave (M3AN), Jayden and Reid for helping out with the front cross member issue!

Edited by glenR
  • Like 3

There are a few of us in the sunny Hawkes Bay. Meet up inTaupo at some stage?

There are a few of us in the sunny Hawkes Bay. Meet up inTaupo at some stage?

Yeah for sure! Give me a couple of weeks after Easter and i should have the M3 down here by then. Ill put a post up in meets.

In regards to the supermarket dents get the paintless dent removal guy to take them out. Cheap and no need to bog or repaint.

E35s are rare as Hen's teeth.

• Like 2

Bit of an update here, not much progress recently, but a ZHP shift knob has found its way onto the stick. mmmmmmm... if only the shift boot leather looked so good....

headlights pulled out yesterday and disassembled as i could not for the life of me get the alignment right for a WOF, looks like one of them had been assembled wrong. 1 mounting point for the lenses to the housing was not connected! any how back in and light alignment looks much better!

post-6049-0-59469100-1432419765.jpg

should start a project thread for your updates. would be keen to see more of the car.

• Like 1