Sign in to follow this  
huff3r

The $300 E36

So I've been wanting a new project for a while now. Stumbled upon a broken down E36 advertised on facebook. It had broken down at someone else's house, and from what I gather he was told to get it gone. So $300 later and it was mine, being towed back home behind the falcon (short distance and very slowly due to the auto).

In the garage it went, and so it stayed for a couple of days. It was starting, but refused to idle. Would run fine with a little throttle, but as soon as it was removed it stalled immediately. So after lots of googling and forum searching, and some helpful suggestions from on here I narrowed it down to most likely being the AFM, or the ICV or both.

$21 of CRC MAF and a couple of hours later and I had myself a running $321 1994 E36 318i auto.

So the plans from here, slightly inspired by Andy and his $100 compact, are to get it a manual conversion and build it into a club race car, mainly targeting the intermarque sprint series, looking to compete in the first round next year.

Anyway, what's a thread without pictures:

post-3253-0-68820600-1416528557.jpg

post-3253-0-72750000-1416528570.jpg

post-3253-0-73550200-1416528584.jpg

• Like 2

$21 of CRC MAF and a couple of hours later and I had myself a running $321 1994 E36 318i auto.

Yes... but was it worth it :D haha good find!

Not entirely sure... haven't had it out of the driveway, but considering it almost stalls when I turn the headlights on....

So the plans from here, slightly inspired by Andy and his $100 compact, are to get it a manual conversion and build it into a club race car, mainly targeting the intermarque sprint series, looking to compete in the first round next year.

Chur, see you there! mine is coming along all good! are you going to keep the 1.8L? tbh, probably doesnt matter what you drive or what powers it initially!?!

Not bad, but she's no $500 328i wth mint heated leather seats!post-5102-0-46472000-1416546132_thumb.jp

"wont need fukal".....so.. it wont need f**k all.. so it will need everything?

pretty skuxx way of talking i gotta admit..

Well it even said in his name that he "isr skuxx" . Only needed suspention, exhaust, a coil, lights adjusted, window wipers, rack end boot, tyres, four matching wheels, door locks that the key actually works in and a gearbox that works in reverse. Apart from that she's a dreamboat!

Chur, see you there! mine is coming along all good! are you going to keep the 1.8L? tbh, probably doesnt matter what you drive or what powers it initially!?!

Not entirely sure I'll even keep this car for it, might go for a quick sell and find a more suitable starting point. It is ridiculously gutless, but a manual gearbox may improve that. I've never had anything so small and I'm coming from my daily driver being a 4L manual falcon...

If I keep it I might look at going down the m50 route. Just need to find a cheap one haha.

Last time I did the intermarques was in my old e30 320i with full cage and race series suspension, but I'm trying to do it way more budget this time!

Edited by huff3r

Progress! Sort of. I have sourced a manual conversion apparently out of a 318ti. I also blew the head gasket.

I guess it's m50 time?

So anyone able to clue me up on what I'm going to need from a donor car to make an m50 run in my 318i with the manual conversion from the fi?

Obviously engine, loom, dme, matching key etc, but what else? Do I use the rear half of the 320i driveshaft with the front half of the ti? And need to change or get a new shifter arm?

Hoping for some expertise so the swap goes smoothly, although I have my own garage and engine crane so if it takes a few weeks then no big deal.

Oh and lastly, any recommendations on parts to change while the motor and box are out?

Cheers :D

Paul

not trying to sound like a negative guy but is there any real reason to "rescue" this with a m50 and manual box instead of just using the doner car itself? just curious, you could probably get most of your money back by parting this out so theres no loss. I dont really see why u wud spend a lot of time and potentially money on a pretty stock non msport e36 sedan.

I don't have the donor car... I'll be buying all the bits off it. Stock non msport sedan is all I need for the track, and it's not going to be road legal, so cert etc isn't an issue.

edit: just read it again and you already have the manual box,

in which case, wouldnt it be easier to find any e36 with a m50 then chuck in the manual box into that?

Edited by QUBE

Possibly, but can I find one for what I can sell this broken car for? You raise a valid point though, perhaps an m44 ti would be a better option, keeping with my goal of staying under 2l

im missing something here, why arent you building up the compact??

The compact is my new daily haha. Downgraded from the falcon so I can upgrade my kitchen. Damn grown up responsibility.

• Like 2