Sign in to follow this  
charles28

Got a Cheapo old Mk4 Golf Gti, for the commute

I commute 400k's a week, so thought that I'd stop using the E39 for this, as its chewing up around 12L/100k due to heavy traffic etc and has some issues (such as oil leaks, running rough when cold etc to fix).

I purchased This old Golf GTi from turners.

20150322_160412_resized_zpsayreui68.jpg

Its a 1998 Mk4 Golf Gti with manual transmission, 196,000k on the clock.

I got it for $2700, its had 1 NZ owner and seems to be fairly well looked after, as far as an old cheap car like this goes at least.

One of the reasons the price was cheap , no WOF, but a carjam checked showed that it hadn't been taken through for a WOF and failed.

I picked up the car up and dropped it at the local garage by work for a WOF check, it failed, but only on Strut mounts and 2 bulbs, later that day it had a new WOF and I drove it home.

One issue I did notice, was a fluctuating idle, (rpm needle would bounce after slowing down and stopping at an intersection).

A quick google and I discovered this was most likely a dirty throttle body.

Sure enough..

Before:

20150322_121536_resized_zpsadlbfy37.jpg

After:

20150322_122447_resized_zpsoostsdmh.jpg

I took it for a good drive, idle issue resolved.

Now to use it for work and see how much fuel I use etc. (will report back later).

I will be doing a stage 1 remap on it soon (buying a remapped ecu from the UK) as its only $300 incl the ECU with the immo removed.

Not a bad car to drive really, I like having a manual gearbox again.

The recaro seats are decent too.

• Like 3

wow they've really come down it price, sounds like a score! it'd be a good idea to clean out the pcv valve too by the looks of it

Edited by Navin

Nice score! Have been considering an r32 version for a daily but this for 2k, can't say no to that!

wow they've really come down it price, sounds like a score! it'd be a good idea to clean out the pcv valve too by the looks of it

Hehe i'd say it probably needs new PCV pipes etc, probably cracked, ruined etc like they were on my E39.

I might get some nice aftermarket Silicon ones that will out live the car

Haha, I would consider a 530i a nice DD.

The old GTI's were cool, these were popular when I got into the euro cars scene, lots of mods available for them, ultimately lack the grunt a GTI needs and were massively overshadowed by the Mk5.

Enjoy. Fit fire extinguisher.

Yeah i had a Mk5 GTi about 2 years ago for 8 months, nice car, but had a lot of road noise, DSG gearbox was good, but in the back of my mind always worried about a 10k repair bill lol

• Like 1

Haha, I would consider a 530i a nice DD.

The old GTI's were cool, these were popular when I got into the euro cars scene, lots of mods available for them, ultimately lack the grunt a GTI needs and were massively overshadowed by the Mk5.

Enjoy. Fit fire extinguisher.

Yeah, its no Mk5, but its not terrible.

I did a 0-100 test in it, seems to be 7.5 - 7.8 seconds.

(this was before i cleaned the throttle body and MAF.)

As far as I can tell the only modification is a Remus catback exhaust (not loud at all).

My E39's is about the same, as is my Mk3 Golf VR6's

I'm going to change the cambelt, waterpump etc next week, diagnose an issue the car has when its fully warmed up (Popping/backfiring on deceleration) which will likely be a Vac leak or Temp sensor etc.

Once I know all is well with it, I am going to install a K03S or K04 turbo with a remapped ECU, for about 200-210hp. (Stock its only 150hp)

Edited by Charles32

Yeah, its no Mk5, but its not terrible.

I did a 0-100 test in it, seems to be 7.5 - 7.8 seconds.

(this was before i cleaned the throttle body and MAF.)

As far as I can tell the only modification is a Remus catback exhaust (not loud at all).

My E39's is about the same, as is my Mk3 Golf VR6's

I'm going to change the cambelt, waterpump etc next week, diagnose an issue the car has when its fully warmed up (Popping/backfiring on deceleration) which will likely be a Vac leak or Temp sensor etc.

Once I know all is well with it, I am going to install a K03S or K04 turbo with a remapped ECU, for about 200-210hp. (Stock its only 150hp)

If it's popping /backfiring pull the mechanical fuel pump and check that the cam bucket isn't worn through.

Had a go at cleaning the exhaust tips.

before:

20150406_142919_resized_zpsshsiwfig.jpg

After:

20150406_144507_resized_zps2txovrer.jpg

yeah still room for improvement, but its something.

About a week ago the heater core started leaking, causing the windscreen to fog up in a matter of seconds and the smell of coolant was evident.

So I ordered a replacement.

Got to work stripping the car down (Required removing the dash) and some bolts on the firewall etc.

20150412_155639_resized_1_zpsrdp8nrrk.jp

20150412_164021_resized_zps1pvqxhqw.jpg

About 12 Hours of work later the job is complete, what a horrible job to have to do.

12L/100km on the E39 looking good right about now :P

• Like 2

12L/100km on the E39 looking good right about now :P

Sort of , the E39 needs a new sump gasket, 9-10 Hours work i've been told.

Gave the little car a wash and cleaned the wheels etc.

20150503_152412_zpssa4gw4m2.jpg

20150503_152432_zps9kqkwgwq.jpg

20150503_152455_zpsasdfznqw.jpg

• Like 1