Sign in to follow this  
Arma

e39 windscreen replacement

To replace my e39 windshield, should I just use smith n smiths or do I have to go to the dealer because of the rain sensor and all that? I actually don't mind if I get a windscreen where rain sensor doesn't work.. since my current one never worked so I'm used to it. Also, any ideas around the cost? Looks like my comprehensive insurance doesn't include glass cover (which I forgot to manually include as an option) What happened: Parked my car for a few hours in the CBD and came back to this:

post-17136-0-04681000-1434218823.jpg

Smith and smith did mine a few years ago, the first one they got was wrong, they tried to tell me it didnt matter, i made them order the right one, took another week to arrive, then the trim they used around the sides all started crapping out about a year after they did it! I would definately get a price from a dealer, although they probably just get someone in to do the install anyway.

Sucks that it was some scumbag who gets away with it and it wont be cheap to fix!

I use a mobile windscreen fitter guy who owns the company and has pride in his work

approx. $100-150 for fitting

Parked my car for a few hours in the CBD and came back to this:

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif 11355410_10153391824339161_1037780835_n.jpg

what. the. F

Where did you park looks like back street stuff?!

• Like 2

its around downtown auckland close to where the bars are. quite a dodgy place actually but you wouldnt think it would happen to you..

bad luck adeeb..

you could try source a secondhand glass and get brent's guy to fit it for you. save some costs

what. the. F

Where did you park looks like back street stuff?!

its around downtown auckland close to where the bars are. quite a dodgy place actually but you wouldnt think it would happen to you..

bad luck adeeb..

you could try source a secondhand glass and get brent's guy to fit it for you. save some costs

Yeah it's on Bankside St, on the corner of Bankside St and Kitchener St. Looks like someone swung at it a few times with a bat or something. Can't really drive it around now with the loose glass and all - prefer getting a mobile guy.

Also trying to figure out whether I should get a 2nd hand one and fit it or get insurance to do it through the dealership and i just pay the $400 excess.

Edited by Arma

if insurance will cover it (without glass cover), id get a genuine one fitted at the dealer and just pay the excess.

• Like 1

I would rather stick with that broken windscreen than get Smith and Smith to do it, even if it was free. I'll never take my car to them again, after having two screens done one in Dunedin and one in Queenstown and both being terrible jobs.

I'd definitely go to a dealer.

• Like 1

smith and smith Penrose branch in great south road great work on both of my e39.

smith and smith Penrose branch in great south road great work on both of my e39.

Did they fit genuine screens?

In typical bmw fashion the alignment of the e39 screen on to the roof panel determines how much wind noise you get.

• Like 1

Smith and Smith use random Chinese make glass from my discussions with them. If you want low quality glass with 'ripples' they are a good option :P

• Like 1

Smith and Smith use random Chinese make glass from my discussions with them. If you want low quality glass with 'ripples' they are a good option :P

Ripples or finger prints in between the sheets of glass ;-D

• Like 1

True they use Asian made glasses. But I have not noticed any annoying window noise up to 140km/h.

Insurance refused to use dealership because car is 'too old' for them to pay that much for a genuine windscreen. Might have to resort to smith and smiths or something and get them to replace it a thousand times based on their '100% guarantee' if anything bothers me. :S

On a similar but slightly off topic note does anyone know where I can get new windscreen rubber trim from? I have a chip that's turning into a crack but the factory windscreen needs replaced as it has 20 years of small chips all over it and i want that replaced at the same time lol

+1 dont use smith and smith, i had my e39 windscreen replaced and had to take it back 3 times as it was whistling around 65kmh behind the dash somewhere.

eventually they gave in and ordered in one from bmw.

mine had rain sensing wipers and the defrosting bars for the window wipers.. think it cost around $1100? insurance, not me. Which was good as my insurance was only $800 per annum