Sign in to follow this  
gjm

*555 - is it worth it?

We were so very, very nearly involved in what could have been a horrendous high speed accident, one where speed would have been the primary cause (leaving aside monumental driver stupidity).

A silver 2012 Audi A6 3.0TDi Quattro saloon, rego GGP*** (I have the numbers) forced it's way passed us on the southbound SH1 as the dual carriageway narrows to one lane just north of Te Kauwhata. We'd been in the left lane, travelling at a solid 100km/h, and had passed the last of the lane dividing dotted lines when the Audi, which I had seen to be several hundred metres back only a few seconds before, came barreling past us at very high speed. To make up the ground that he did, more than likely a long way into license losing territory.

Having passed us he had to brake VERY hard to avoid running into the back of the car which had been in front of us.

I was forced to swerve hard left to avoid contact. My wife screamed, and our daughter looked terrified. Fortunately there is just a hatched area of road surface to the left - anything solid and we would have hit it. (Or maybe I wouldn't have taken evasive action.) I sounded the horn and the Audi driver lifted his left hand from the steering wheel to perform the likely action of a teenage boy with his first gentleman's magazine.

Had I not made that one final check before completing the merge into one lane, the Audi would have been squashed between us and the centre rope divider.

No accident. I was quite shaken (and I've seen some seriously crap driving!) and my daughter was close to tears. I'm still furious that someone could have so little regard for the safety of others - if he wants to kill himself, that's his problem.

The police will not prosecute based on a *555, but will - I think - write to the registered keeper of the vehicle.

Is it worth it?

You can submit a complaint, and always better to do so in person, which holds far more weight than a *555 call. *555 is for in the moment, in the hopes that nearby Police can catch up to them while they are still offending, whereas after the fact a police complaint is more appropriate.

• Like 1

The amount of time it happens to me in the truck at that same spot you cant count on two hands,

I always make sure I have my dash cam on now

• Like 1

Just now, mynbmr said:

The amount of time it happens to me in the truck at that same spot you cant count on two hands,

I always make sure I have my dash cam on now

I can imagine.

I'd like to think I'd not do that under any circumstances, but it's quite possible my avoiding 'pushing' is also due to my brother being a HGV driver in the UK, and knowing people like you. It means I better appreciate what you do, and the problems you experience.

$45.00 for dash cam, forward to police, and if no luck with police name and shame cars number plate.

• Like 1

FWIW, called *555 recently about a truck that had lost some strops and its load was coming loose, plod just happened to be down the road and sorted it out- then the officer himself rung us back to thank us. As above, you could always ring them up, and then make a formal complaint.

I called *555 late one night, as on the way home, a boy racer in a legnum VR4 nearly collected my family and I only 100M from our house!

I was only doing about 50K (country back road), I suggested to the cops he was well over 120 on a curvy part of the road.

After I pulled left into the gravel, and he very nearly took out my wing mirror, easily 1m over the centreline, I saw him fishtailing down the road, before regaining control. I had hoped he'd plummet down the 50M bank on his side :D

I called *555 as soon as I got home. I had NO idea of the rego number, just the car, and colour - it HAD to be a VR4 version, as a non turbo could never achieve that speed there.

2 hours later, I was awoken by a call from a cop in a suburb 25 minutes away.

They'd pulled the guy over, asked him why he was travelling in a reckless manner on our road (calling his bluff - I didn't have the rego), and he admitted it was him. The cop asked if I wanted to pursue charges or or if he should just be fined, and given a letter of warning.

I went with the latter, as it's probably more effective for the young guy, and I hope he thinks twice next time. We've all done something silly, and he was honest about it.

I have dash cams now - not so much help at night, but it does show what happens. A good one will show regos from daylight footage.

• Like 2

Better to always ring 555, as you don't want the reckless or drunk driver to cause an accident the next time where the outcome may not be as fortunate.