Sign in to follow this  
Gabe79

Want small parts from the US? I'm doing an order and aggregating shipping.

I'll be doing an order of small things I can't easily (or cheaply) get here in NZ from the US. I am not opening this up for anything and everything, but if you want some small items from fcpeuro, I'd be happy to add them to my cart and you can pay cost+small portion of shipping. PM me and if it's reasonable, I'll happily accommodate.

When are you thinking of placing the order? I'm flat tack this week, but there are some smaller bits and pieces I've been considering ordering.

Suppose a wheel is too large??

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, gjm said:

When are you thinking of placing the order? I'm flat tack this week, but there are some smaller bits and pieces I've been considering ordering.

I can order whenever, but I'll be shipping from the US next week sometime.

I'm doing store and forward, if you send me a list I can order for you. The shipping within the US will be free anyway. 

26 minutes ago, Lucan said:

Suppose a wheel is too large??

I go there once a year, or have someone come about that often. When I go I wouldn't mind bringing a wheel back with me. When someone comes it's a maybe. 

I'm guessing you know that anything over $400 nzd including shipping will incur taxes and customs charges in nz?

15 minutes ago, zero said:

I'm guessing you know that anything over $400 nzd including shipping will incur taxes and customs charges in nz?

I do. Thanks for the note though! :)

EDIT: Major benefit of store and forward, you can setup the orders such that they are always below $400NZD.

Edited by Gabe79

11 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

I can order whenever, but I'll be shipping from the US next week sometime.

I'm thinking of belts, tensioners, filters - things of that size. No diffs, cranks, gearboxes or similar. :) 

1 hour ago, gjm said:

I'm thinking of belts, tensioners, filters - things of that size. No diffs, cranks, gearboxes or similar. :) 

Belts no problem. Tensioners have weight to them and filters have volume. I'm ordering things like nuts, spacers, gaskets, etc... small things! 

That said, I might want some tensioners myself. ;)

I'd be keen on some magnetic sump plugs?

2 minutes ago, zero said:

I'd be keen on some magnetic sump plugs?

It's all over if you need magnetic ones... what you trying to catch ? timing chains or conrods ?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, *Glenn* said:

It's all over if you need magnetic ones... what you trying to catch ? timing chains or conrods ?

Haha, just thought it was a good idea and a bit of insurance.

Would you not recommend them?

I would recommend them to give you evidence that there was a f**k up. Metal on the sump plug would be good to use in court. Insurance would be doing it right or paying someone to do it right who has public liability insurance. They are also heavier than the new plastic ones that give you a weight advantage on performance that the manufacturers are introducing along with getting rid of those heavy dip sticks.

Edited by *Glenn*
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, *Glenn* said:

I would recommend them to give you evidence that there was a f**k up. Metal on the sump plug would be good to use in court. Insurance would be doing it right or paying someone to do it right who has public liability insurance.

Hey Glenn, thanx for the informed feedback.

I have a m54b22 with 130k that has been well maintained while I've owned the car, and a m54b25 with 200k that has been well maintained while I've owned the car, do you recommend against using magnetic sump plugs in these cases?

Neither car is showing signs of engine problems.

Yes I would not use them, the magnetic sump plugs might start drawing the high mileage steel components down towards the plug, causing catastrophic damage to your engine. I'm surprised these vehicles have provided you good service past the 100k shut off point

• Like 1

There's a laugh or cry in there somewhere.

12 minutes ago, *Glenn* said:

Yes I would not use them, the magnetic sump plugs might start drawing the high mileage steel components down towards the plug, causing catastrophic damage to your engine. I'm surprised these vehicles have provided you good service past the 100k shut off point

Not sure if you are having a laugh, but I trust your advice so wont use magnetic sump plugs if thats what you recommend.

Just done a bit of research on magnetic sump plugs, and some people in the US have experienced problems with the more powerful ones knocking out the balance of the engine. One guy even had a rod go through the block.

A couple of weeks ago Wayne and I had to use two power bars to get my 17m socket off one of these . We might just use our new sucker instead of using the sump plugs to drain oil. Her name is Sucketer... real good value, sucks it up with no mess and doesn't argue

What wrong with M54 engine? Once you replace everything made of plastic and rubber they are fine...for a while anyway.   

28 minutes ago, Eagle said:

What wrong with M54 engine? Once you replace everything made of plastic and rubber they are fine...for a while anyway.   

Is there a comprehensive list of 'everything made of plastic and rubber' for a M54?

4 hours ago, *Glenn* said:

Master Troll level unlocked :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gabe79 said:

Is there a comprehensive list of 'everything made of plastic and rubber' for a M54?

Never seen a complete one myself but RealOEM etc will deliver if you want to empty your wallet. Unless you planning on taking the engine out its not very practical anyway.