Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Northland Floods

Christ - internet only just came back on. Have no water for the next week as our pump shed went under water and need to wait for the pumps to dry put. Spent most of yesterday rescuing peoples boats (including Emmas [Hi Tower] parents yacht - it has a big f**k-off hole in it.) Pics explain.

Pump Shed:

Posted Image

Breached Dam:

Posted Image

Emma's yacht "Auralyn II"looking rather low in the water. Hole is on other side of hull - we used coastguard boat with line to top of mast to tip the boat over so that the hole was out of the water and could be repaired - They are still pumping the water out now:

Posted Image

300HP 4-strokes = 65mph on the water (over 50 knots):

Posted Image

Unhappy Launch "Elite Hooker":

Posted Image

Posted Image

Unhappy Yacht:

Posted Image

Unhappy Car: mud shows water was over bonnet:

Posted Image

Haruru Falls bridge (water is usually 5m below the bridge):

Posted Image

I have many more of flood waters etc, unfortunately the spectacular shots (like a yacht drifting in 10kt river current into a bank, water flowing over the top of the stone store bridge, water up to the rooves of cars etc) I either didn't have my camera, or was too busy on the coastguard boat to get it out. Damn thing got wet and fogged up so no picks of slips across the road this morning either.

Edited by bravo

Haruru Falls itself:

Posted Image

Haruru Falls Campground:

Posted Image

More:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh BTW, the road outside where Alley (Wills wife) works was flooded - river usually about 2-3m below road was 1.5m above road. So I couldn't get home. Ended up going home by boat - no sh*t. Where the f**k is Noah?

Edited by bravo

I'm in for a break from yacht salvage, been onboard since a ridiculous hour thismorning trying to get the water level down. On the way out, two motorboats floated by upside down, and those are only the ones I saw from spotlight! I'd say theres a lot of gutted people out there today.

Hah - Emma did you see Brentoss got a mention on the front page of the Herald "Fireman Brent Webb" lol.

Edited by bravo

Lol! Yes bahahaha. Fame in Northland.

I want a picture of the hole in our boat! Useless photographer... You were too busy waving to the civilians :D

so thats the winterless north aye?

absolute carnage, go insurance companies go!

f**k THAT!!!! Im glad i live where i live. Lake Graham was pretty high to methinks??

The extent of the damage is massive! im feeling for you guys, not good

f**k THAT!!!! Im glad i live where i live. Lake Graham was pretty high to methinks??

The second pic of the Dam breaching is the lake at my place Chris.

Jesus - that sucks

The office collapsed around me yesterday while I was working. Just f**king shitloads of water flooded the place and rooted a lot of gear which is ghey. Have only rocked a couple of hours of sleep as we've got a huge job on. Another all nighter FTL.

holy crap, I must have been living under a rock this week (dam uni). Had know idea it was that bad. Hope you guys get everything sorted quickly

What a sucky, but super exciting day we had!!!

Amazing weather today, just sucks that all the harbours and rivers are still brown- no boating for me!

The second pic of the Dam breaching is the lake at my place Chris.

:mellow:

Also Andrew, very gutted, WTF roof collapsed?!

You are elevated off the street arent you??

:mellow:

Also Andrew, very gutted, WTF roof collapsed?!

You are elevated off the street arent you??

You don't need to be elevated to have a roof.

--

My missus' gran etc had her own lil island too. No way to contact etc. This is in Hihi too.

Guts.

WTF?! I didnt even know this was going on, all I knew was there was a bit of rain the other day, didnt it was so servere.

I havent heard from my Dad but I'm assuming our yacht is fine and hasn't sank... :unsure:

Im glad everyones ok.. But f**k - Em's boat! sh*t!

Havent heard from this chick in Whangerei in aaages hope she aite!

Oh BTW, the road outside where Alley (Wills wife) works was flooded - river usually about 2-3m below road was 1.5m above road. So I couldn't get home. Ended up going home by boat - no sh*t. Where the f**k is Noah?

Alley's office, she had left about 30mins earlier at about 12noon but still only got home at 5.30 after i rescued her..

Posted Image

parking lot at Alley's work

Posted Image

pics I took on my journeys yesterday. I was trying to get to Graham's office in Paihia for a meeting but had to turn around at Opua because of slips and was very fortunate to get out and not be stranded like Graham. Was stuck between slips for a while but a couple of us managed to clear a small path through one slip, get through just before it closed behind us again leaving a number of tourist buses and cars stuck between. Managed to kill my mobile phone in a large puddle while doing it. Some pics from SH11..

Posted Image

slip I managed to get around on my way back that wasn't there when I went along the road earlier.

Posted Image

This below is the bridge just at the exit to Moerwa on SH1, when I went across it (they were only allowing 4X4 and trucks through), it lifted my Outlander and nearly slammed it into the crash barrier on the side. The poor guy holding the lollipop nearly sh*t himself!! So did I !!!!

Posted Image

one below on SH10 on the way to Alley's work at Puketona junction. There were many flooded sections like this on the highway.

Posted Image

Bulls Gorge, just outside Kerikeri, Alley was about 5 mins ahead of me at this time (didn't know it at the time though). When she went through it was a small slip on the rhs, this is what it was like when I got there, you could JUST squeeze through next to the barrier on the lhs. I went through and the guy behind me just got through before it slipped again and completely closed the road, suppose I was bloody lucky here..

Posted Image

SH10 intersection with Waimate North road.

Posted Image

SH10 just before the Warehouse in Waipapa. This was so deep at one point that a Honda stranded on the lhs had just it's roof sticking out. They were only letting large trucks through at this point but had to stop shortly after i took this pic as the water rose about another 500mm. I had to take a long way around via Puketotara to get to Pungaere road where I live.

Posted Image

Those of you who came to the northland meet and went to the Warehouse area to do some skids won't belive the pics of what that area looked like. Where you did them was about 1.5m deep in strongly flowing water, the warehouse was closed as the water had been running through the carpark.

In all, an interesting time, took about 200 pics yesterday. I use them as a record for flood levels for the District Council where I work and head up the building and planning sections. (I am a civil engineer in my life outside bimmersport..)

My son was staying at Haruru Falls Resort for a school kayaking camp. He was kayaking around the falls only the day before the flooding! The school teachers decided, after staying in the conference room for a night (a break from the flooded tents), that they should pack up and leave that morning. The Bus got through all the roads only about 30mins before they closed, so i'm glad he's home and still not up there. :)

Thats a lot of water, i remember when our farm used to flood in kumeu.. it always was big, but this flood looks HUGE.

the power of mother nature, hope everybody up there is OK dispite the huge property damage.will be a big job to clean up and repair every thing once the water receeds. To Will and other's in the effected area wish you all a speedy return to normality. Have favour to ask could you give the rest of us some pics when the water has gone to see what it looks like when it isn't covered with mtrs of water if and when time permits thanks. best of luck to one and all. :D