Sign in to follow this  
sven007

18's rubbing on gaurds

Hey, havent been on for a long time since I have come back over from selling the evo to getting a e36 325i. Problem now is that I have put 18" vaults on and they are rubbing hard on the guards. How would I pull out the guards and which is the best and tidiest way? never pulled out gaurds before and all your advice would be great. Thanks

i think $45 at Mag n Turbo....might be for each side, memory ain't too hot

They will prolly also rub on black plastic inside the guard.... eventually the black plastic disappears and you don't have to pay no mind to it

Changing Camber helps too!

what size tyres are you using and how low is the car? is it rubbing on the guards or inside on th e black plastic. I had a bit of trouble with my 19's on my E36, had to do a lot of chopping of the black inner guard. where abouts are you? ( aucks chch etc)

Edited by zenetti

what size tyres are you using and how low is the car? is it rubbing on the guards or inside on th e black plastic. I had a bit of trouble with my 19's on my E36, had to do a lot of chopping of the black inner guard. where abouts are you? ( aucks chch etc)

Hi mate,

Yeah I tried pulling them out but not much happening, Im located in Wellington. I noticed that the guard folds inwards. should I cut this foldage? it like bends around.

Cheers

Hi mate,

Yeah I tried pulling them out but not much happening, Im located in Wellington. I noticed that the guard folds inwards. should I cut this foldage? it like bends around.

Cheers

i have a e36 coupe on 19.8.5 an i run the car very low (sometimes desprung at the rear :wacko:hahaha ) with a full car very little gaurd rub a bita cuting of plastic in the rear inner gaurd not a problem for wof do the lips of the archs while your at it, the plastcs wears away after a while too hope this mite help

Dont let it eat thru the plastic guards - they are there for a reason - that is to keep water and mud away from the guard - if it eats through it, expect rust to follow.

Dont let it eat thru the plastic guards - they are there for a reason - that is to keep water and mud away from the guard - if it eats through it, expect rust to follow.

yeh you are right they are there for a reason but jus cut out a little bit to stop the rubbing it wont hurt

Posted Image

Edited by PBOY

I have 19x9.5s on the back of my E36 and have only minor rubbing

I just chucked a strongarm under the wheel arch and drove backwards and forwards then changed from 275s to 245s and it was sorted

I have 19x9.5s on the back of my E36 and have only minor rubbing

I just chucked a strongarm under the wheel arch and drove backwards and forwards then changed from 275s to 245s and it was sorted

how lowered is your car ? ive got 8.5 running 225/35/zr19

best option is get rid of the 18s or lift the car abit. 17s look fine. if you have 18s on expect trouble

guys ... just take the wheels into any wheel engineering shop .. and they can reset the offset for you if its rubbing on the outside.

a couple of mm usually does it.

best option is get rid of the 18s or lift the car abit. 17s look fine. if you have 18s on expect trouble

that would have to be the WORST piece of advice I have come across on here. An E36 will easily swallow 18's, and usually 19's. All depends on the wheel width and offset, and tyre size. If you get these things correct you will not get any guard rub, and you will not have any trouble.

It might well swallow them , but preferably it would spit these ugly as sh*t wheels out instead.

And I would agree with the 17 inch option because a well set up car on good 17's will be a much better car to drive in a wider range of conditions than some hacked up sacked out piece of crap on incorrectly sized wheels and tyres which this particular example sounds like it it is heading towards

Here here!! :D

It might well swallow them , but preferably it would spit these ugly as sh*t wheels out instead.

And I would agree with the 17 inch option because a well set up car on good 17's will be a much better car to drive in a wider range of conditions than some hacked up sacked out piece of crap on incorrectly sized wheels and tyres which this particular example sounds like it it is heading towards

TOUCHY TOUCHY TOUCHY!!!!!

then again a well set up car on good? ( I don't know how you define good wheels?) 18's with the correct size wheels abd tyres will handle equally as well as the 17's. ANd who are you to judge who's car is a hacked up sacked out piece of sh@t and who's isn't. Isn't the whole point of this club to be about bmw enthusiasts? Don't flame what you probably haven't seen!!! Everyone on here has different agenda's, some prefer to do performance mods while others prefer aesthetics (looks). Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's wrong!

my rant over

Maybe the larger the wheel and the lower the car is, is the fashion. I think that is referred to as eye candy, But two things come to mind 1 legally you are only allowed to go up 2 sizes from standard. e36 comes with 15's I think. so 17s are your limit. 2 suspension setups from factory (and one would think that the BMW engineers would have a fair idea what they are doing) are best. unless you intend to race the car or give it a better handling situation then you would be advised to seek professional help and that I would think would require certification to show that what has been done has improved the set up to make the car safer on the road.God forbid that the springs are just cut to lower the car and larger wheels are put on to make it trendy with current fashion. cutting the guard or the lining inside them would not be a good idea. and if the car was set up properly that would not be needed.My advise would be to get professional help and that would not be a mag wheel seller that has advised you to put on 18's.he is mis leading you.

TOUCHY TOUCHY TOUCHY!!!!!

then again a well set up car on good? ( I don't know how you define good wheels?) 18's with the correct size wheels abd tyres will handle equally as well as the 17's. ANd who are you to judge who's car is a hacked up sacked out piece of sh@t and who's isn't. Isn't the whole point of this club to be about bmw enthusiasts? Don't flame what you probably haven't seen!!! Everyone on here has different agenda's, some prefer to do performance mods while others prefer aesthetics (looks). Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's wrong!

my rant over

yo zenettie i have to agree with you, diffrent strokes for diffrent folks my coupe is on four sizes up from 15s and compressed springs with a bitter iner gaurd cut out its all good , so i gess i have a hacked up sacked out piece of sh*t on over to big wheels . peace out!

post-1718-1185348462_thumb.jpg

my e36 wears 19s with 265s on the back and there is no rubbing no matter how hard i push her

the inner guard is still there all i did was get the guards rolled with the proper guard rolling machine and buy rims with the correct ofset in the first place. my rims are 9" also same as the factory intended it might have bigger inner guards being an m3 and all but i thought they were the same body as all other e36 models.

oh i am useing 30 profile tyres that would help i guess.

iv been told the rolling diameter is no higher then my old 245/45/17s

post-1379-1185406660_thumb.jpg

Maybe the larger the wheel and the lower the car is, is the fashion. I think that is referred to as eye candy, But two things come to mind 1 legally you are only allowed to go up 2 sizes from standard. e36 comes with 15's I think. so 17s are your limit. 2 suspension setups from factory (and one would think that the BMW engineers would have a fair idea what they are doing) are best. unless you intend to race the car or give it a better handling situation then you would be advised to seek professional help and that I would think would require certification to show that what has been done has improved the set up to make the car safer on the road.God forbid that the springs are just cut to lower the car and larger wheels are put on to make it trendy with current fashion. cutting the guard or the lining inside them would not be a good idea. and if the car was set up properly that would not be needed.My advise would be to get professional help and that would not be a mag wheel seller that has advised you to put on 18's.he is mis leading you.

some interesting points here - I am not 100% sure that you are correct in stating it is illegal to go over anything 2 sizes bigger than factory. This would mean that ALOT ( and I mean ALOT) of vehicles on our roads should be green stickered (or is it pink?) just think about Holdens running around on 20's ( factory size is 16 or 17 for V6) the new Chrysler 300c's on 22's (factory size is 18)small jappa's on 17's & 18's when the majority of them come out on 14's and 15's. Ford Exploder (sorry Explorer) on 20's and 22's (factory 17's), I could keep going............

If factory suspensions setups are best... why do so many people upgrade their shocks and springs?

Legally you are allowed to lower the car as low as you want provided

1. the springs remain captive on full suspension travel ie when the car is jacked up and wheels have 'drooped' fully

2. The chassis rails must be no less than 100mm from the ground.

You only need certification if an adjustable aftermarket ride height kit is put in.

Agreed cutting the liner is not a good idea, but rolling guards is fine - as long as it is done professionally with a guard rolling machine and a heat gun (to soften the paint)

At the end of the day some people choose to have a 'race' oriented vehicle while others prefer the 'show' side of things. I am not saying that any one is better than the other, I just respect the fact that people like to do different things with their vehicles. I admire a 1000hp monster just as much as a vehicle blinged out with an in car entertainment system that is better than my own home theatre. What people spend their money on is nobody's business but their own, just because it is not your own vision does not mean that it is wrong.

The original thread was help needed for tyres rubbing on guards. People have given their advice on what they think would help, some ideas were good, some not so good.

Personally I would say that it could be an offset problem, and/or the wrong tyre size, but then again I am a 'mag wheel seller', obviously not a professional :P - even though I have personally lowered and put wheels (of all sizes) on over 100 BMW's.

End of rant

Edited by zenetti

Gonna jump in for fun.

[FACT]

There is no limit on wheel sizing. You only need a cert if the wheels are modified, require spacers, are not a "known, reputable brand" (quoted from the regulations) or would be considered an inappropriate vehicle fitment by the WHEEL manufacturer. So if they list the car as one the wheels fit on then that's covered. Even if they don't doesn't necessarily preclude their use.

Also to ensure you don't require a cert you need to ensure that:

Either the tyres fit within the standard vehicle panels (ie non-rolled/flared guards) OR if you do have to modify the panels maximum track width increase is 25mm.

Total circumference cannot change by more than 5%.

So on e30 (what I know) max track width is 220 (195mm +25mm) unless you can keep them within the unmodified guards. So technically all you guys running 225's+ with rolled/flaredguards should have a cert.

[/FACT]

So that clears up the myth about only being able to go up two sizes. ( I beleive this is the law in Australia and is a common recommendation in any case, so maybe that is the source of confusion).

[OPINION]

Now on to suspension. BMW's (except M models and the odd other model) are not all-out sports cars. That is the realm of Lotus, MG, Porsche, etc etc. They are either small-mid sized sedans or sport coupes (3 & 6 series) or mid to large size luxury barges (5 & 7 series) with the odd performance sedan thrown in (540, etc). So the suspension is not setup for sportscar handling. It is a compromise between the sporty requirement and the luxury-car demands of consumers. The 7 series is hardly a nimble sports car and the suspension is set up for comfort. The 3 series is not an all-out sports car either and has been built with practicality in mind as well as decent handling and so has a decent ride height, comfort level etc. Therefore it is possible to improve on the factory handling by carefully choosing a spring/shock that lowers the centre of gravity and improves dampening and reducing weight transfer.

All this still doesn't preclude you from going the other way and decreasing the handling ability of your car for improved aesthetics and if you drive with this in mind it is not a problem. (It possibly still handles better, yet goes slower and stops better than some old - or new even - american muscle cars).

As long as you use a little bit of common sense and try to keep within the law, it should not be a problem IN MY OPINION.

[/OPINION]

Edited by bravo

well put

Wow didnt know this thread would reach two pages! Sold the car and now brought a 318i manual e36 lol. Wanted manual and it was an impulse buy. Got it at a very good price except comes with 17" chromes but half the chrome has worn away.

Should I get it re-chromed? and if so how much approx? or do a DIY somehow and take off the chrome and repaint white lol. or something different. There is a picture of the car in " My Rides" listed up the top as a new thread.

Thanks guys for all the help!!!!

Regards

Sven

Chrome is a by product of the US hip-hop scene, someone thought it would be a good idea to stick on Malaysian import wheels. ..

it actually went out of fashion in the US about 4 years ago ..

About two years ago in the states the polished lip / dish and coloured centre (silver / black / whatever)

Now its all about coloured dish and polished (not chrome) centre .. although I think this looks pants.

so.

an open letter

dear would-be wheel buyer,

The fast and furious 1 is a six year old movie. Chrome wheels have died their death, its only this country and the Australians (who have no taste what so ever) still using them.

Please stop the chrome, and save the planet.

Your friend

Josh

:PB)

Lol.

Got any pics of Polished centre/coloured lip? Sounds arse to me...

Lol.

Got any pics of Polished centre/coloured lip? Sounds arse to me...

seen a few in performance bmw mag looks alrite on the right car but not my favorite sometimes its good to just follow trends , black centers with machined lip looks awsome