Sign in to follow this  
madandy

Getting my old BMW admiration back

Hi guys,

I always loved BMW's right through my teenage years and early twenties...had a few Japanese flings through the years and have wound up driving a modified R33 GT-R. It's damn fast with nealry 500hp and lethal to most others on the road but quite uncompromising - my partner, Sharon & I have been talking lately and with a baby on the way it's time to get real and move into a sedan....We looked at E36 M3 evo's but want 4 doors & I can't think of a better sports sedan than a late E36 328i...although the fuel costs of a 320d are tempting...I dont expect even an M3 to meet what we've come accostomed to so really just wanna find a good low mileage 328i sedan, manual of course & leather is an absolute must with a food smearing, vomit ejecting menace on the way!

I'm Andy by the way,

Cheers all,

great site you've built here!

Hi guys,

I always loved BMW's right through my teenage years and early twenties...had a few Japanese flings through the years and have wound up driving a modified R33 GT-R. It's damn fast with nealry 500hp and lethal to most others on the road but quite uncompromising - my partner, Sharon & I have been talking lately and with a baby on the way it's time to get real and move into a sedan....We looked at E36 M3 evo's but want 4 doors & I can't think of a better sports sedan than a late E36 328i...although the fuel costs of a 320d are tempting...I dont expect even an M3 to meet what we've come accostomed to so really just wanna find a good low mileage 328i sedan, manual of course & leather is an absolute must with a food smearing, vomit ejecting menace on the way!

I'm Andy by the way,

Cheers all,

great site you've built here!

Welcome bro...If fuel cost is a aspect to consider...you may like to know that I have seen a E36 328i do over 580k per tank...

Welcome. Post some pics of the Skyline.

Think about a 540. Luxury, Leather and performance. Economical too.

Welcome bro...If fuel cost is a aspect to consider...you may like to know that I have seen a E36 328i do over 580k per tank...

Interestingly enough, three weekends ago, I filled up in Kaikoura (driving from Christchurch to Auckland), and then only needed to re-fuel again in Te Kuiti in my E36 328i. I thought that was pretty good going. The orange light had only just come on too when I got to Te Kuiti. I never reset the trip meter the first time, so not sure of the exact length of the trip.

Cheers

Grant

Welcome to the site

Can't go wrong with a E39 (1996 - 2002ish) 5 series - 528 is a great car and great on gas. Decent size for a family also.

they did make the M3's in 4 door... they are just a bit harder to come buy. have a look at a 540, they are around the same price.

Guest Phil Ken Sebben

They only made around 1200 RHD M3 4dr's, there were quite a few for sale last year, the byzanz, black and red ones spring to mind.

There is a dude on here with a Techno-violet one on 19's too.

Welcome!

E39 M5?? Possibly a tad expensive considering you have a sprog on the way. But I agree e39 would be a good idea.

Welcome, best luck with food smearing vomit ejecting menace.

Get the 540 man, i reckon 3 series are too small for a family car.

PS. Big respect for the GTR.

Edited by alex

As requested:

KAIJU

Posted Image

Posted Image

And HERE is the trade me auction for the beast.

Sharon has suggested we consider an EVO 7 as well as it's kinda a cross between a GT-R and a BMW! I guess she doesn't care much for fuel consumption!!!!

I'd consider a 540is. Not one for auto trans & the 2.8L would be a little lacking in the 5 series body wouldn't it?

Edited by madandy

Sharon has suggested we consider an EVO 7 as well as it's kinda a cross between a GT-R and a BMW! I guess she doesn't care much for fuel consumption!!!!

I'd consider a 540is. Not one for auto trans & the 2.8L would be a little lacking in the 5 series body wouldn't it?

Man not dissing but to me gtr is ultimate my old man had a r33 v spec in midnight purple, my opinion m5, i dont think it would guzzel as much as a gtr also its a manual with grunt when you need it

also does that car have a dog box and does it have ap brakes on the front i new a guy with 18 r34 gtr wheels on a silver done up gtr, that looks like it wounder if it is the same one

Posted Image

Edited by PBOY

Hello again Bimmersport fans!

Following on from my June introduction I foolishly went and bought a Subaru WRX STi. Quick car but poor on fuel and frustrating to drive below 4000rpm where it lacks any real tractability. We didn't wish to modify the thing to improve its driveability so have put it up for sale.

The good news is we have decided to go with our original plan & buy a late '90s E36 323/328i.

We've driven a couple of 3 series recently. Both E46 with one a 328i steptronic with Msport suspension and the other a 323i manual with normal suspension but msport 18" wheels.

I definately prefered the ride of the Msport suspension with 17" wheels and both my partner Sharon & are adament a manual is required!

I have found a couple of E36 examples that read pretty well and will be taking a closer look at them once I have a deal sown up on the WRX.

One is a Msport 323i manual. and two are 328i one a genuine Msport both manual and all with leather and 1998 models.

A question that springs to mind after plenty of researching is this:

How much emphasis should I put on service records and country of origin?

I'm pretty keen to hear peoples experiences and opinions on M50/M52 engine reliability and the suspension quality on the late E36 and anything else I should pay close attention to when choosing one in the near future.

cheers in advance & gidday again

Andy

get a 5 series or 4 door m3. A non 'm' would have a better chance of nothing breaking, so the 5 would be the 'sensible' pick?

yeah sti is kinda fustrating low down. but its good in the sense its quite a cool car to drive slow in, the exhuast gives it that lazy v8 rumble. But if you are below 3k rpm you need a clutch kick to get going quick. And clutch kicks are probably about $20 a go?

e39 540i it fella. Or e46 330i .. there are a couple of manuals floating around for sale. The auto on a higher powered BMW isnt as bad an option as it sounds.

E36 328i manual would be really good...my GF's one has cost virtually nothing in repairs over 2+ years...goes well enough with the extra torque, looks good and are comfortable. not to expensive either.

5 series ftw.dont forget those vomiting things have always a lot of stuff to acompany them.I expect to get flamed,but a 5 series is much more car for the money...if you want a sportier car a 3 series wuld be the go.A e 46 is a slightly larger car than an e 36

Edited by kiwi535

Hi Andy, Braeden here, used to be on NZPCC Forums when i had the mera

Good luck mate!hope you find what you are looking for.

If you are interested in that M3 evo i can have a look for you, as it is in Palmy.

Edited by Braeden320

Cheers guys. Plenty of 5 series fans I see :)

We are after a relativly uncomplicated machine with as few flash bits to go wrong as possible & one that's easy to work on and rather sporty to drive. When the traction control is de-activated I expect to be able to get up to no good and not have massive rear tyres to worry about wearing down:D

I probably should have said that our budget has been lowered since I first introduced myself...$12-15k

We still have the GT-R and I'm gonna put together a race hack to flog on weekends at local car club events & track days so I don't throw untold wads of hard earnt into a perfectly good road car & kill it.

Cheers for the e-mails & words of encouragment.

Would someone confirm for me that the 2.8L is the M52 and that the 323i 2.5L M50 engine has the plastic water pump impellor, the M52 a better water pump and is generally a stronger engine?

cheers

Andy

Cheers guys. Plenty of 5 series fans I see :)

We are after a relativly uncomplicated machine with as few flash bits to go wrong as possible & one that's easy to work on and rather sporty to drive. When the traction control is de-activated I expect to be able to get up to no good and not have massive rear tyres to worry about wearing down:D

I probably should have said that our budget has been lowered since I first introduced myself...$12-15k

We still have the GT-R and I'm gonna put together a race hack to flog on weekends at local car club events & track days so I don't throw untold wads of hard earnt into a perfectly good road car & kill it.

Cheers for the e-mails & words of encouragment.

Would someone confirm for me that the 2.8L is the M52 and that the 323i 2.5L M50 engine has the plastic water pump impellor, the M52 a better water pump and is generally a stronger engine?

cheers

Andy

the 323i is a 2.5l M52 engine. i think the later models like the 1998 came with the metal water pump impellor. but thr others came with plastic

Hi Andy, Braeden here, used to be on NZPCC Forums when i had the mera

Good luck mate!hope you find what you are looking for.

If you are interested in that M3 evo i can have a look for you, as it is in Palmy.

Gidday mate,

How you like your Beemer after the 'Mera? Be interesting to hear yuor thoughts.

Don't worry about the M3. I've decided to be a bit sensible for a while so 328i it is.

Thanks for the offer though!

the 323i is a 2.5l M52 engine. i think the later models like the 1998 came with the metal water pump impellor. but thr others came with plastic

Thanks dude I should have searched harder.

I have a '98 328i man. sedan to check over this weekend. Sth. Efrica import brought in in 2000 with 23kms on it. Now has 76kms, full Team Mcmillan service history (plus records from Africa). 1 mature owner who now has a 330i :D

leather interior. Not a Motorsport model unfortunatly but it is a very good example. Be interesting to see how she drives.

Really enjoying the bmw. although it is only a 320i it goes well enough for me, love the smoothness of a 6cylinder, don't feel buggered after long drives etc,

I find that it handles well, but not as good as my old primera, which was on rails! as was Revvl im sure!

All in all a great car and good value for money i feel.

Im sure a 328i Manual would be a supurb car, the one you are looking at sounds good.

Good luck.

Edited by Braeden320

Well we bought the 328i!

Arctic Silver Metallic. Light grey leather interior. Trip computer, rear blind Rockford Fosgate CD player and a proper gearbox :)

Beautiful ride & cabin ambience. Perhaps not as quick as I'd have liked but stepping out of an STi Impreza and comparing to our modified GT-R are hardly fair benchmarks to compare with.

The factory 15" wheels will have to go so already looking for a set of 17" genuine wheels, preferable Msport items. Factor wheel/tyre size option is 235/40R17.

Thinking about the stagger concept so will investigate the appropriate tyre size for the front end.

Will post some pics when this atrocious weather goes away.