Sign in to follow this  
OLLIE

Bimmersport Race Car Number 2

I do.

Why don't we just switch cars for a bit. :mellow:

25 yet?

Loving your sig Graham

/images/als_01.jpg

Here is a quick review of the 2nd exhaust system build carried out by Als mufflers on the bimmersport E30 series race car.

At the end of the 2008 / 09 Season I looked at simple ways of improving power delivery to try and get a bit more out of the car. The rules are very tight and basically the exhaust system and the intake are all that can really be modified.

We run a pre facelift M20B20 motor with L-jetronic ignition timing. Previously we had the standard pre-facelift exhaust manifold on with a custom 2 1/4" system collecting approximately 1 foot downstream of the manifold flange. Click here for more details on the previous exhaust system.

/images/als_02.jpg

This time we wanted to achieve more horsepower but more importantly more torque and we wanted the torque fairly high in the rev range as the car spends most of it's time above 4500 rpm. We installed a standard facelift exhaust manifold which is allowed within the rules, these later model manifolds are meant to have much better flow than the pre facelift manifolds.

/images/als_03.jpg

Next we wanted to move the collectors a bit further downstream in order to move the peak torque a bit higher up the revs. We used a 400mm long straight through coby in the middle section to quieten it down a bit for WOF's and at the end we used a very free flowing SS muffler. The end muffler has a raspy sound to it but sounds great when revved right up above 5000 rpm.

/images/als_04.jpg

The end result is good ...

/images/dyno_chart_DSE111.jpg

The Red line is the 'before" plot and the blue line is the 'After" plot. Rear wheel Power and Torque, unstrapped on the Dyno Dynamics Dynamo meter at Hi Velocity Performance.

The exhaust manifold and system are the only things that were changed from before to now, the engine has done 8 rounds of racing and the ignitor module was replaced. We think the ignitor module may be causing the revs to cut out 200 rpm too soon.

That aside, We are happy with the outcome, the power curve is a bit steeper and power comes on a bit earlier, the torque has increased and the curve is nice and flat through the 4,000 - 5,500 rev range.

Overall i'm very pleased, considering we spent 10 minutes on the dyno and didn't even touch the timing. With a fresh bottom end build and a bit more compression i think we'd easily be able to get 120 - 125 rwhp from this pre facelift ljet 320!

I was thinking, do I share what I have done or do I keep it all a secret, it was a tough decision but I decided to share, it doesn't give much away and it's interesting for other to read about it. I figure the better driver will win on the day anyway.

Did you make up that airbox as per your spec? Have you got any pics for the nosey?

airbox was made exactly as per spec but I have since removed the side intake pipe and sealed up the hole

post-4-1252275378.jpg

the only picture i have

They are tasty airboxs Si.

Andrew has one and I'm hoping for one two!

Edited by westy

I was thinking, do I share what I have done or do I keep it all a secret, it was a tough decision but I decided to share, it doesn't give much away and it's interesting for other to read about it. I figure the better driver will win on the day anyway.

I would have to agree that this ^^ line of thinking fits the series quite well, as its about good, cheap,, and even racing isnt it? So if no-one has any secrets then the best man wins, not the biggest wallet/cleverest engineer :D

Looks very cool, especially that airbox! makes mine look extra rangi lol

They are tasty airboxs Si.

Andrew has one and hoping for one two!

It resonates like a mofo and sounds wicked.

Nice thread Ollie.