On my Auto E36 there is the usual

P

R

N

D

3- holds to a maximum of 3rd gear

2- holds to a maximum of 2nd gear

1 -holds at 1st gear

Can you drive it like a tiptronic by switching between 1, 2 and 3 gears? If I do...would I damage the transmission system? Quite unsure about his dont know if anyone can enlighten me on this...

You can. The actual shifting will be no different than if you let it change by itself. However, the thing is you will probably hold gears longer and thus shift harder than usual so on that basis it will see your auto lasting all of 5 minutes.

switch the auto switch to M for manual . then it holds it in gears even if you take off in 3rd it wont change down .

but just buy a manual or convert yours far better .

tiptronic is only a marketing thing to try and sell auto's .

You can. The actual shifting will be no different than if you let it change by itself. However, the thing is you will probably hold gears longer and thus shift harder than usual so on that basis it will see your auto lasting all of 5 minutes.

Thats what Ive been doing...so far its been alright...on D is drives just as fine as before...I do find it quite useful at times...far more effective than the Sport Switch...

Auto's are good for learning to keep the car balanced through corners, with the foot brake.

Edit: The auto box, spat the dummy at me, after a while. But considering what i was able to achieve, it was worth the cost of the manual conversion.

Edited by bumpstop325

Are they for engine breaking more than anything? instead of having your foot on the breaks down a long hill overheating your disks? (the few times I have ever driven an auto thats all iv ever used it for)

i drove my old 325i auto like a manual for a day.. until the auto fluid started to overheat and i almost blew up on me :P.

better to get a manual conversion i say :) auto's are too boring for me.

Laurence.

Are they for engine breaking more than anything? instead of having your foot on the breaks down a long hill overheating your disks? (the few times I have ever driven an auto thats all iv ever used it for)

Brakes are for stopping - engine are for going forward.

Brakes are for stopping - engine are for going forward.

That is so god damn true on the track

As per above, I drove my old auto like that for years that when I had it, it's just fluid on the inside :)

Used to love flicking it into 1 at 100kph and listening to it go mental on the engine bracking - I drive the manual considerably nicer than I did the auto but I think that's more because the slushbox was boring but it was definitely built like a rock solid shithouse.

Edited by Carl

Ouch Carl! At 100kph the torque converter is locked (ie solid link, not fluid) so (and I'm surprised it let it change) when the box changed you would've been chewing all holy hell out of the clutches inside the box, not to mention the strain on everything else.

It would chop down to 2nd then into 1st around 80kph and was a whole lotta fun

It would chop down to 2nd then into 1st around 80kph and was a whole lotta fun

I usually cruise at 2nd gear which gives me about 3000RPM just over 50Km/h...so I still have some room to boost up to 5500RPM before I change to 3rd gear by which then I would be about 80Km/h

I dont really change the gear that much...usually on sport shift and second gear...it holds 1st gear to max then changing to second...worked well as sport shift also shifted down on higher RPMs...

Its good when I sense a yellow light coming....BANG on the yellow light is on, switch from D to 2nd gear, boost it...the engine sound is just...aww too sensational!

i drove my old 325i auto like a manual for a day.. until the auto fluid started to overheat and i almost blew up on me :P.

better to get a manual conversion i say :) auto's are too boring for me.

Laurence.

What kind of way were you actually driving it like? where you also down shifting constantly? How did you know it was overheating?

haha yeah i was downshifting heaps driving it pretty hard!! Um i could tell it was overheating with it started to smoke from under the car haha.. but i guess the car had also done over 300,000kms..

Laurence.

sounds to me like you need to get youself a manual!!!!

+ they are a heap more fun (i just find auto's too boring after buying the e30 M3).

Laurence