Sign in to follow this  
zoom-motorsports

bmw for drifting

hey guys been to taupo last weekend to watch the drifting for the first time can any one tell me y there are no bmws out there showing the jap boys im keen as to get into the sport and i want to turn my 525 into a drift car any help with reguards to people that might of done this will be cool. :rolleyes:

i agree dude an wanting 2 do the same thing with my 325 but every1 around here is in the mind set that bimmers are 2 expecive and not cool. personaly i wana turbo mine with a nice 5 lug conversion should have me ready 4 practice but im a bit short of cash and dont know of anyone in the tauranga area that modifys bimmers eg turbo if any1 wants 2 help please drop us a line.

cheers shaun

good on u mate that makes two of us. id like too see how much power i can get out of my 525 m20 motor before i turbo but would be looking into it there is a kit on trade me for the e36 its a turbo kit that has the turbo manifold and intercooler and i was wandering if it would fit the m20 engine????????? if so it would save a whole lot of farting around.

also if any one knows what would be a good locking diff to put in my 5 what would i find one in?

cheers clive

this time next year there will be. its generaly because there too expensive to get to the same kind of specs as all this jap crap. ive got the m20b25 motor in my e tirty and im going to be making around 250 horse at the wheels. without any kind of computer chip or forced induction or moded fueling. not to bad if i say so myself. that should be enough to get her sideways.

Edited by sydwayz e30

this time next year there will be. its generaly because there too expensive to get to the same kind of specs as all this jap crap. ive got the m20b25 motor in my e tirty and im going to be making around 250 horse at the wheels. without any kind of computer chip or forced induction or moded fueling. not to bad if i say so myself. that should be enough to get her sideways.

How do you expect to make that much power? I have been thinking of doing up my M20B25 but keeping it N/A. With a E36 AFM, bored out throttle body, hotted up cam, chipped, i reckon id be lucky to make 230hp.... personally. What do you reckon would make 250bhp? Very interested!

I think you will be lucky to make 200hp at the fly let alone the treads on an m20 without very large sums of money or forced induction

I think you will be lucky to make 200hp at the fly let alone the treads on an m20 without very large sums of money or forced induction

Thats what i thought, but i think you could make a little over 200, but not 250 lol

Thats what i thought, but i think you could make a little over 200, but not 250 lol

Maby a little over 200hp on a well worked 2.5. with some internal work ie,porting, high lift cam,2.7 or bigger,full aftermarket comp without getting to silly(230/240hp maby).

I think from memory one of the most powerful n/a m20s in the world only makes around 260hp and honestly that thing is totally worked to the max! everything has been done to it.

Andrew's m20b25 racecar (will be b31 ;) ) will be making around 280-300bhp when done (N/A) With the right work you can do upwards of that on an m50b25.

To turbo an m50b25 engine there are people in the states pulling 600rwhp in extreme cases on stock internals with just head gaskets and arp studs head bolts. The potential is defantily there with m50's

no, your not

if any of you is seriously about drifting a want to build a car from scratch.

do this:

M10 Pre FL 318.

+ Turbo

= balance and cheap engines if they blow up. replace as needed.

i could go into more reasons why but i really dont think you will listen. listen to me now though:

4 Cylinder only...

not saying 6's cant, but you will drive better in a 4

The E30 is the Drift car of choice in Europe. They are a dime a dozen over there.

I have been into drifting since way before it took off in NZ. Have always wanted to build a solid little NA E30. The Euro "Driftking" drives a E30 with a NA S14 motor (Not silvia motor, BMW code) Drifting is not about power at all. Yes to keep up with the big boys in NZ you would need a ton of power though.

Your main problem with the BM's is suspention costs. There is not many off the shelf bolt on parts in NZ that you will get cheap. Well compaired to say Silvia parts.

Have a look at this vid. May have seen if before. This is the euro "Drift King" the car is powered by the S14 BMW motor. Ignore all the retard yanks comments thinking they know all. Will try and find the page with the specs for you. But the body is a stiff little thing.

A mate of mine recently picked up a nice PFL E30 325I Manual with lsd from a Bimmersport member for very very cheap. Brown one. He is turning it into a little drift machine/road car. Buys all his after market parts from Ebay. Prices are not bad.

I wouldn't bother trying to drift the 5 series unless you had a much bigger motor. But then you still have the major problem with finding suspention parts that can handle this style of driving. Stick to E30's. Or a cheap E36.

wel i got new everything internaly. 304 cam with 11.8mm lift. new pistons. comp ratio is around 10.1 320 flywheel and i am going to put a 3.5 intake on. with adjustable fuel pressure regulator equal length headers and full exhaust. cold air intake. i jus figured it would be around the 250 mark. and the car is stripped to a bare shell.

wel i got new everything internaly. 304 cam with 11.8mm lift. new pistons. comp ratio is around 10.1 320 flywheel and i am going to put a 3.5 intake on. with adjustable fuel pressure regulator equal length headers and full exhaust. cold air intake. i jus figured it would be around the 250 mark. and the car is stripped to a bare shell.

And you are keeping the stock ECU to run this, not chipped or anything, hrmmmm.

Considering my engine is the same size and boosted and "only" puts down 292rwhp, I think you may be guestimating a bit high with 250 N/A rwhp.

I'm hoping for 250 rwhp with heaps of head work, 3.2 ltr, S50 intake, raised compression, Link ecu.. and i STILL don't think i'll get it. hah

...sideways E30

with your 304 cam i would suggeest your goal is to get more air and fuel into the engine right ?

So if you do not somehow arrange for more air and more fuel your mixtures could be all over the show not to mention engine running not so well.

More air and fuel generally needs a way to control it, ie ecu & fueling mods

would M20B25 injectors even flow enough for 250 hp ? without a severe raise in fuel pressure ?

and doing the necessary fueling mods might even be very much required if you wish to get anywhere near your 250 hp goal even then i would say you would be talking BHP no WHP

Edited by Jimmy

I reckon you'll get about 85hp/litre, maximum, from a 304. That's flywheel hp too, not wheels. You gotta be realistic.

no, your not

if any of you is seriously about drifting a want to build a car from scratch.

do this:

M10 Pre FL 318.

+ Turbo

= balance and cheap engines if they blow up. replace as needed.

Sssshhhhhh!

I need those M10's

Edited by Mike

E34 Supercharged 540 manual ???

Would it make an adequate drift car?

Seriously considering due to the great TV exposure that the drirts are getting.

Feedback please.

HELLBM

Do it ... you would have to lighten it up some what and I would maybe look at make it bit more free reving.

Weighed one the other day 1750 kg. The one I have in mind is a SE. lots of bells and whistles to sacrifice. I swapped standard dif for LSD. Gives my other 540`s a fright. That`s got to be a good start.Discussed 6 spd man. conversions with Ross at BM workshop the other day and along with ess supercharger should be good for mid 400`s HP. Gotta be a good start. Thoughts please....

scary..would be a laugh..no idea how effective it would be, they are big heavy cars..would use more of everything (tyres/gas/power)

go e30 and get some balance!

Nothing a bit of stripping out wouldnt solve. The have the advantage of a longer wheel base so would be easier to swing than an e30. The key to it is big tires for smoke and grip (as backwards as that sounds) and a great after market suspension package and setup. Strip it, cage it do some good engine work and work on the radiator / cooling system to make sure its up to the sustained high revs , and I would look at an after market braking solution. Hydrulic hand brake (e brake).

Here is a video of Andy Sapp with an e46 325i with a KAAZ LSD who competes in the states quite sucessfully.

Maybe also have a talk to some of the d1nz guys about their setups. The nissan cefero isnt far of the e34 for specs.

just another thought ray, have you thought about the possiblity of turboing it instead ? just the last time I looked at ESS supercharger kits, your looking big $$$. I betting you could twin turbo it for less and have the potential to push more HP if needed later on ?

e30 vs ae86 have similar wheelbases, with 180hp you can drift an e30 easily especially at tracks like taupo. ae86 have like 80hp and still manage to slide. its driver skill at the end of the day. why go big budget when u can keep it nice and simple and still be competitive.

to drift an e30

minor engine mods, exhaust, filter, cam, AFM, maybe some head work.

coilovers

cage, rigidy work, seam welding etc.

stripped

decent wheel/tire package - as you need good traction to get the speed up for tracks like puke, so decent tires are always good.

that would be a good base to start and learn from. then you can add power etc as your confidence build up.

i remember back in the days people used to drive puke with cut springs and standard shocks.

Edited by togate

Many thanks josh,

Much food for thought.

Regards Ray